super sampling vs hmd quality

Hey Godryc, I still haven't got around to DL'ing the profiler yet. Is there any specific settings where the performance difference is really noticeable? I'll then test the same and we can compare, see if it's consistent or an aberration.

I'm not sure but I think it's just the HMD Q setting. I notice a drop in performance when I play around with the settings in the Profiler, and then again in the game settings right after. This only seems to occur at higher settings such as HMD Quality at 1.75 or 2. It may be other settings as well but HMD Q is the setting where it the most noticeable.

I have been able to empirically verify that the Profiler and the game write and read to and from the same file. My guess is there is some other variable I have not been able to detect.

So I'm not sure what's going on but after playing around with the settings and keeping a close eye on the frametimes, I've found that my performance in Elite varies wildly - often times even without changing any settings from one session to the next. There may be something else going there and I might start up a separate thread since I don't want to hijack this one. Currently I am a bit at a loss because I can't even run the game at the most conservative settings without reprojection kicking in. Given that I have a 8700k and a RTX 2070 I should be able to get much better performance imo.

I tried today SS 0.5 and HMD SS 2.0 and it seems provide a bit sharper text with slightly larger performance consumptions in some areas (not all).
Can anyone try it and compare to 1.0/1.0 ?

do you guys have similar problem like in this screen? whenever i change HMD or super sampling to anything other than 1.0 it gives me this weird distortion on objects that are inside volumetric clouds like anomalies or planetary rings. is this a known bug or its something wrong with my graphic card/VR gogles? I have RTX 2070 and HTC Vive. its not overheating. everything else works normal.

Screenshot_1612.jpg

It looks like a bug with asteroids. There are three options you can try:
1. Switch SteamVR plugin to beta channel and let it update to latest.
2. Set volumentric lighthing to ULTRA
3. Set output resolution in SteamVR with only EVEN number in width and height. (for example 1600x1800)

Top Bottom