Supercruise maneuvering enhancement module

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but in case not-- Now that we have FSD boosters on the way, I would suggest something similar that instead improves the supercruise steering. Perhaps size-1 to size-5 modules could improve the turn rates by 10% per level of the module, thus up to +50% for the size-5 module? Large ships would be able to benefit the most, but still wouldn't be as nimble as smaller ships.

I could see something like this being extremely useful on the Cutter, T9, T10, Anaconda, etc. It might make some of those ships actually bearable.

It could be provided as another benefit of the FSD Booster. We don't know how that works, so maybe it's a "frameshift mass compensator" that affects both frameshift modes, supercruise and hyperjump.

Perhaps another way to scale this might be a fixed number of degrees per second added to the base turn rate. For example, grades 1-5 of the module could add maybe 0.5 degrees/second per size level to the maximum turn rate (usually around 50% throttle speed).

Perhaps like this:

Class-1: +0.5 degrees/sec
Class-2: +1.0 degrees/sec
Class-3: +1.5 degrees/sec
Class-4: +2.0 degrees/sec
Class-5: +2.5 degrees/sec

the flight model has been nailed down since Alpha IIRC
devs are very solid on it's feel as-is since so much testing went into it
though if a module extended "Blue zone" size rather than the actual top turn_speed
I mean, perhaps <shrug> but I doubt it

that said...

dirt drives pretty much being the only choice
...there might be some fun trading hull strength for those Linear/static boosts to yaw/pitch/roll, at the cost of top speed
it would have to be very small since turreting speed is a very crucial balance
but static is interesting since it gives non-proportional results, e.g. bigger effective gains to the large ships, while marginal to the more maneuverable

the flight model has been nailed down since Alpha IIRC
devs are very solid on it's feel as-is since so much testing went into it
though if a module extended "Blue zone" size rather than the actual top turn_speed
I mean, perhaps <shrug> but I doubt it

that said...

dirt drives pretty much being the only choice
...there might be some fun trading hull strength for those Linear/static boosts to yaw/pitch/roll, at the cost of top speed
it would have to be very small since turreting speed is a very crucial balance
but static is interesting since it gives non-proportional results, e.g. bigger effective gains to the large ships, while marginal to the more maneuverable

OP is talking about supercruise. I think you're talking about normalcruise.

+1 to OP for good suggestion.

PSA: max turn rate in supercruise is 50% throttle, not 75%.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but in case not-- Now that we have FSD boosters on the way, I would suggest something similar that instead improves the supercruise steering. Perhaps size-1 to size-5 modules could improve the turn rates by 10% per level of the module, thus up to +50% for the size-5 module? Large ships would be able to benefit the most, but still wouldn't be as nimble as smaller ships.

I could see something like this being extremely useful on the Cutter, T9, T10, Anaconda, etc. It might make some of those ships actually bearable.

What's the trade off? What would you be prepared to give up in return?

The big ships have a lot going for them, lower manoeuvrability is one of the trade offs for being able to jump a long way, or carry a lot of cargo. If your proposed new module required a class 7 slot and weighed 256t it would allow the player to choose between jump range, cargo capacity and SC manoeuvrability.

OP your lower bound is asymptotically worthless (and you don't want the anaconda stacking 17/sec so 'easily')

e.g.
size 1 == 1 turn over 12:00 minutes
size 2 is 100% more valuable 1 turn over 6:00 minutes
3 starts to become worthwhile for orca/t7,9,10/beluga

imo think about degree/min, bring lower bound up, and higher end down (frankly the s1 still seems useless considering what would equip it but eh.. w/e)

s1 - 80° /min (1.33/sec)
s2 - 85° /min
s3 - 90° /min
s4 - 95° /min
s5 - 100° /min (1.67/sec)

did you want this to effect yaw rate at the same values?
also how do you figure it should fall off while outside of the blue? proportionally or non-proportionally?

Last edited:
The suggested numbers are really just placeholders, and are probably too conservative, sure.

My thinking is that this is a boost to the maximum pitch rate, and would scale appropriately with throttle, and as applied to the other two axes. That is, a proportionate increase, not a flat addition at all times and at all speeds.

Top Bottom