Support or oppose NMLA?

While their use of explosives on space stations has caused civilian deaths I am not sure they have other options other than attacks, and assassinations. I mean how does one vote out the empress and replace her with an all elected government? Seems to me they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with 3 options.

1 - accept the government the way it is
2 - attack using any means necessary
3 - abandon their homes to move to federation or alliance territory where democracy is accepted

If option 1 and 3 aren't acceptable to an individual, that leaves option 2, which seems to be what a lot of Marlinists are taking. Then because of the attacks the empire is cracking down on anyone that expresses the ideals of democracy as a Marlinist which is more likely to bolster the ranks of the NMLA militia's. This brings other things into to question, while the empire fights using self destructive tactics what is their worth to the alliance, and federation as allies against the thargoids? Will alliance and federation pilots be willing to fight the thargoids to the death to protect imperial space when the empire wastes it's resources trying to brutally smash a rebellion that could be dealt with politically? Or worse if the federation and empire to go war, will the alliance bother helping either defend themselves against thargoids if either is attacked?

Just found this, an interesting question that actually separates Marlinists from active NMLA members.

They didnt have the option of standing for election to change the system so what is left when you are being repressed and oppressed? A few have tried non-violent non-cooperation but that relies on the other side having some sort of conscience or court of public opinion that they may listen to and not just resorting to turreted weapons on auto-fire.

'War! Huh! What is it good for?'

Well Bruce, freeing slaves for one, allowing an oppressed minority or majority even to gain some human rights, stopping aggressive powers from just invading everywhere, stopping the might from overpowering the right, getting justice finally on the criminals in charge, freeing your children from the same oppression and giving them a better life...

Just found this, an interesting question that actually separates Marlinists from active NMLA members.

They didnt have the option of standing for election to change the system so what is left when you are being repressed and oppressed? A few have tried non-violent non-cooperation but that relies on the other side having some sort of conscience or court of public opinion that they may listen to and not just resorting to turreted weapons on auto-fire.

'War! Huh! What is it good for?'

Well Bruce, freeing slaves for one, allowing an oppressed minority or majority even to gain some human rights, stopping aggressive powers from just invading everywhere, stopping the might from overpowering the right, getting justice finally on the criminals in charge, freeing your children from the same oppression and giving them a better life...

That's the root of my moral conundrum. Sure these people are using bombs on space stations and stuff, but what other option do they have if leaving all they've built isn't acceptable to them?

As an alliance member it's hard for me to not have sympathy for folks desperate to take back control of their homes from oppressive regimes. Like with Alioth's occupation by the federation and empire, would the alliance have achieved independence by protesting and asking nicely for independence? Heck no, it was guerrilla tactics to survive and build strength till they could get enough support to wage conventional warfare.

How as an alliance member can I then join in pointing a finger at the NMLA? In part I am happy this is between the federation and empire, at the moment it lets us not get involved, but if they ask for help in achieving independence, what shall we do?

Top Bottom