COMPLETED CG Support Shadow President Winters Against Federal Surveillance (Data)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Oh noes I only earned 1.1 billion from the Winters CG.

0d1a71fc48fde7bfe84b49fec4720e27.gif

It just dawned on my why I like Winters so much. It's subliminal marketing. She's the SHADOW president, and you all know how important shadows are to me! Down with EBL! Long live President Of Shadows Winters!!! :D
Felicia 'Elephant Butt Leather' Winters?

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
What about all the data I turn in that didnt count in CG when it said we still had more than a day to turn in.
What about it? I am sure they are very grateful for your 'donations'! :LOL: These were competing CGs and, as usual, if one completes the other also ends..... except there was a bit of delay and it didn't happen automatically (as I think it should have done) but needed a helping hand by FD. 😉

What about it? I am sure they are very grateful for your 'donations'! :LOL: These were competing CGs and, as usual, if one completes the other also ends..... except there was a bit of delay and it didn't happen automatically (as I think it should have done) but needed a helping hand by FD. 😉
Sure! Wasting time bunch of players is nothing special - as always. Hour or two? Who cares?

So its your desire for a carrier quick that has lead you to do something you don't enjoy.

Sounds like your poor impulse control is forcing you.
The carrier was just a catchphrase for everything that I haven't yet "unlocked". So far I've been playing for fun, including money-making activities in carefully administered doses so they were still enjoyable (I particularly enjoy my 60 minute > 50 million core mining trips in an Asp once a while). Playing like that I got to mid-tier ships like my favorite Krait and explored what that "size class" had to offer. Now what's left for me to explore are the big things that cost a lot of money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a rush. I'm aware of the guides on YT about how to get a cutter in a couple of days. I consciously ignored them because they require - guess what - farming for several days, which I cba to do. However, that doesn't mean I don't want to get the big things, nor that I'm not willing to put some extra effort in to progress through the game. No pain, no gain, I get it. It's just that sacrificing a month of my life for it was too much pain.

And then I was given a deal: 7 hours of effort for this CG or 30+ hours of standard farming over the next few months. Which is fine, I guess, although I'd argue that if FDev is willing to spray people with credits by the billions like that, they should probably just make other activities more profitable.
But I digress.

The point is, I was aware there was some farming ahead of me, someday, or an eternity of wait.
What I find disappointing is what I was tasked with... holding one key for hours on end is not why I bought a space sim game.

Can I make a suggestion, with your physical and mental wellbeing in mind? Play games you actually like. Oh and get some sleep.
Thanks, thanks kind of you, but you have the wrong picture.

I like playing ED. I wouldn't be playing it otherwise. But I'm not naive enough to think that there won't be a few moments that are not as enjoyable. I knew full well there would be some farming moments. This was one of them. I just wish it involved actually playing the game, not staring at a menu and holding one key for an hour.

As for sleep, my days are mentally exhausting from the moment I get up all the way to when my kids fall asleep around midnight. I won't get into details, my family is just like that. The point is, I need some time to wind down and relax and losing that is more detrimental to my mental wellbeing than losing some sleep - I tried ;) .

tldr; thanks for the advice, but we're good. It's just that my time in game is more precious to me than it is to many others and I'm annoyed when the devs bribe me into not playing the game... makes no sense.

I was one of those who lost a delivery. Odd that Frontier should throw a switch that stops contributions from counting, without any notification to the player that the CG has ended.

Luckily I'd reached top 10% on the previous delivery, and my main concern was that I might slip down out of that category. I stayed in.

Sure! Wasting time bunch of players is nothing special - as always. Hour or two? Who cares?

This whole relog CG could be viewed through that lens.

No pain, no gain, I get it.

its a game it should be no fun no point, do something you enjoy and the money will pile up anyway.

although I'd argue that if FDev is willing to spray people with credits by the billions like that, they should probably just make other activities more profitable.

Id argue leave the main game alone and just do it like this, where its completely optional to take the short cut or not, not make it impossible to avoid through normal gameplay activities for those who like the gradual (original design) approach.

Got 1.1M from this one (and 4.1M from Hudson).

Engineering a ship, unlocking Guardian stuff, learning how to fight Interceptors properly: Here's your 10M (or whatever it is these days), now get out and don't forget to pay for repairs
Scanning four beacons and holding the key in station menu: Here's truckload of money, go buy a fleet carrier

:D

I got punked. According to Inara my tally was like 200 units away from top 25%. And I was docked at the station ready to turn in data....

Also had a thought. If we are complaining about key holding, imagine if the CG was the same, BUT the material trader was 75 LY away.

its a game it should be no fun no point, do something you enjoy and the money will pile up anyway.
There is no game that can tick all the boxes for me, either because they require more time per seating, more time in general, regular availability or uninterrupted attention, none of which is within reach for me these days. I just try to find a game that has the least of the uncool and suffer through that, while having a blast the rest of the way. Currently that's ED.
Id argue leave the main game alone and just do it like this, where its completely optional to take the short cut or not, not make it impossible to avoid through normal gameplay activities for those who like the gradual (original design) approach.
I've no idea what you mean here, sorry.
What do you mean after just ONE run?? How do you get over 330K encoded data in just one run??
Top 50% in both CGs yields about a billion total for less than 10k mats total.
What he meant, I think, is that his MAIN account scored 10% in both, while his ALT account did just one run for a billion total.

Last edited:
And then I was given a deal: 7 hours of effort for this CG or 30+ hours of standard farming over the next few months. Which is fine, I guess, although I'd argue that if FDev is willing to spray people with credits by the billions like that, they should probably just make other activities more profitable.
I would suggest that Community Goals aren't really designed or intended as timesink activities for players who are newer to the game.

Spoilering bulk of argument for length
Like you, I am relatively new to playing the game, as an Epic free account player joining in late November. The game unquestionably has a more rewarding effort/profit ratio for new players now that it did a few years ago: my progression through starter space was quick and encouraging. When I left starter space, I received advice to fit a DSS to my ship and use it while navigating to a new home system; I landed at my new home with 17MM credits. It's never really been that challenging to move into bigger ships or better modules, or to explore a variety of styles of playing the game.

Then I heard about Community Goals, and I jumped into the ammonia worlds scanning CG with a few days left. Learned some new skills, bought a new ship for it, and made 400MM credits, which was easily more than 10x my bank account. After participation in other CGs and a few more months of sporadic play -- some of which was 'playing the game', some of which was 'participating in CGs' -- I had 1.5 billion stored up and almost 1 billion in assets. At least 70% of that was from CG participation, and at least 20-25% of the remainder was enabled by having the cash from CGs to purchase bigger and better ships in which to 'play the game'.

I strongly doubt that this is the designed growth curve for a new player to Elite: Dangerous. I'm meant to be expanding my personal empire more slowly, learning skills, fumbling my way through the game. That's clear from how the CGs are designed -- they are week-long, highly repetitious, competitive activities. None of them have anything to do with gameplay, though their components involve flying and trading and shooting and scanning. Community Goals are, essentially, endgame activities. They're for the players who don't really have anything more pressing than devoting their week of gameplay to participating in the Community Goal; they're not deep space exploring, fulfilling a goal to visit Colonia, working with a group on the background simulation, unlocking engineers, etc. etc.

The intriguing thing is that Frontier developed an endgame activity that people new to the game could also participate in and benefit from, if they wanted to take a shortcut to wealth. The only thing stopping me from being top-tier in the ammonia worlds scanning CG was my newbie jump range and the time I was willing to invest. Same thing with this CG. There've been others I couldn't contribute as much to... shipping CGs (until I got an engineered Type-9), conflict zone CGs, etc. because I didn't have the skillset or efficient/capable ship assets.

There absolutely is an opportunity cost to not participating in CGs, but the option to do so is there. Someday soon, I'm going to head out into the Black. I'm gonna miss out on CGs. That's going to be a choice I make. I may also set a goal for myself of making my next billion entirely on my own in-game efforts, not speeding it up by participating in a CG (which all have inflated payouts for the activity at top tiers). There are new players who aren't taking a shortcut to wealth, and honestly I got a bit lost after my first 1 billion because I'd achieved my immediate goals and hadn't played long enough to see what else I could set my sights on. Then I started playing (not grinding) to build Federation and Imperial ranks.

Conclusion
Your complaint here seems mostly disingenuous because Community Goal activities, at their essence, are not 'playing the game'. They're a grindfest designed for endgame players who are competing for rank, or to occupy their time for reasonable reward, or are seeking an alternate activity to grind credits to make an FC purchase, or whatever. And for opportunist newbies like you and me who want to jump on the bullet train and siphon off some cash to make our starting experience one of extreme wealth.

There's dozens of people reading your posts who had to truly grind the long path to attain the wealth you have after a few months of play. And many of them jumped onto mining gold rushes or other activities, to speed up their game experience. It's just kinda weird that you're raising such a big stink about being billions ahead of the game, and that not being close enough to true gameplay. Of course it isn't. 'True gameplay' is a much slower progression. You chose instead to get onto the bullet train to wealth. If you want to actually 'play the game', you're gonna have to step off the bullet train and do other activities. If you can't step off the bullet train, because you can't say no to endless opportunities for wealth... I mean, that's not anybody's problem but yours.

Last edited:
I would suggest that Community Goals aren't really designed or intended as timesink activities for players who are newer to the game.

Spoilering bulk of argument for length
Like you, I am relatively new to playing the game, as an Epic free account player joining in late November. The game unquestionably has a more rewarding effort/profit ratio for new players now that it did a few years ago: my progression through starter space was quick and encouraging. When I left starter space, I received advice to fit a DSS to my ship and use it while navigating to a new home system; I landed at my new home with 17MM credits. It's never really been that challenging to move into bigger ships or better modules, or to explore a variety of styles of playing the game.

Then I heard about Community Goals, and I jumped into the ammonia worlds scanning CG with a few days left. Learned some new skills, bought a new ship for it, and made 400MM credits, which was easily more than 10x my bank account. After participation in other CGs and a few more months of sporadic play -- some of which was 'playing the game', some of which was 'participating in CGs' -- I had 1.5 billion stored up and almost 1 billion in assets. At least 70% of that was from CG participation, and at least 20-25% of the remainder was enabled by having the cash from CGs to purchase bigger and better ships in which to 'play the game'.

I strongly doubt that this is the designed growth curve for a new player to Elite: Dangerous. I'm meant to be expanding my personal empire more slowly, learning skills, fumbling my way through the game. That's clear from how the CGs are designed -- they are week-long, highly repetitious, competitive activities. None of them have anything to do with gameplay, though their components involve flying and trading and shooting and scanning. Community Goals are, essentially, endgame activities. They're for the players who don't really have anything more pressing than devoting their week of gameplay to participating in the Community Goal; they're not deep space exploring, fulfilling a goal to visit Colonia, working with a group on the background simulation, unlocking engineers, etc. etc.

The intriguing thing is that Frontier developed an endgame activity that people new to the game could also participate in and benefit from, if they wanted to take a shortcut to wealth. The only thing stopping me from being top-tier in the ammonia worlds scanning CG was my newbie jump range and the time I was willing to invest. Same thing with this CG. There've been others I couldn't contribute as much to... shipping CGs (until I got an engineered Type-9), conflict zone CGs, etc. because I didn't have the skillset or efficient/capable ship assets.

There absolutely is an opportunity cost to not participating in CGs, but the option to do so is there. Someday soon, I'm going to head out into the Black. I'm gonna miss out on CGs. That's going to be a choice I make. I may also set a goal for myself of making my next billion entirely on my own in-game efforts, not speeding it up by participating in a CG (which all have inflated payouts for the activity at top tiers). There are new players who aren't taking a shortcut to wealth, and honestly I got a bit lost after my first 1 billion because I'd achieved my immediate goals and hadn't played long enough to see what else I could set my sights on. Then I started playing (not grinding) to build Federation and Imperial ranks.

Conclusion
Your complaint here seems mostly disingenuous because Community Goal activities, at their essence, are not 'playing the game'. They're a grindfest designed for endgame players who are competing for rank, or to occupy their time for reasonable reward, or are seeking an alternate activity to grind credits to make an FC purchase, or whatever. And for opportunist newbies like you and me who want to jump on the bullet train and siphon off some cash to make our starting experience one of extreme wealth.

There's dozens of people reading your posts who had to truly grind the long path to attain the wealth you have after a few months of play. And many of them jumped onto mining gold rushes or other activities, to speed up their game experience. It's just kinda weird that you're raising such a big stink about being billions ahead of the game, and that not being close enough to true gameplay. Of course it isn't. 'True gameplay' is a much slower progression. You chose instead to get onto the bullet train to wealth. If you want to actually 'play the game', you're gonna have to step off the bullet train and do other activities. If you can't step off the bullet train, because you can't say no to endless opportunities for wealth... I mean, that's not anybody's problem but yours.
You're missing the point - as i said too many times already, the CG rewards aren't what really bothered me, it's the "gameplay" required. I wouldn't mind spending 7 hours doing any of the activities required by any of the other CGs I've seen during my time in the game. Hauling goods? Ferrying people off damaged stations? Conflict Zones? Bounty Hunts? Doing any of them is incomparably more like actually playing the bloody game than this "stare at menu and hold key for profit" atrocity and I wouldn't mind needing to do that for 7 hours.

I hope I don't have to repeat this again...

I spent three nights searching for the damn Cobra crash site, only finding it after Hudson's CG had ended and took at least two hours farming it and converting over 15,000 assorted materials ( in all required categories), which had me in the top 25%, pencilled in for 650+ million...

I'll be really annoyed if when i return to the game tonight, if it says "contributions zero" and FDev basically robbed me by leaving the CG running - i really hope i get what the game was still promising last night 🤔😯🎏 ...

(Or if the devs don't pay for any "late additions", they refund us the donated materials, as we naturally wouldn't have given them away for nothing 😐).

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom