#support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
SBqpri9.png

Show support for the third party developers. They deserve proper respect from FD, or FD should provide such tools (that the game sorely lacks) themselves!

Frontier never asked third parties to make sites. You guys took it upon yourselves to do it. Going on strike is only going to annoy the player base and not FD.

On the plus side maybe people will learn how to use the in game tools for trading.

Fundamentally not true. FDEV has stated that they want the game to be played out with all the resources available (twitter, discord, programmed tools, web collaborations like Canonn etc), certain mysteries could not have been solved without these tools. So while they may not have asked a specific individual to make a specific tool they absolutely expected the community to make tools to offset their lack in game.

Last edited:
While such third-party tools are useful, they are hardly mandatory.

Of course not but who in their right mind would want to undertake something like engineers using only the dire in-game ability to pin one blueprint? They aren't mandatory but they must have saved FDEV a fortune in man hours and prevented a community meltdown had we been left with nothing other than non existent in game "tools".

Last edited:
I support...

I support you guys, but argh... I really wanna access my cmdr page on inara... like im already hurting... :eek:

While I fully support FD supporting third party apps and whatnots as much as possible, and the third party sites provide very valuable services (of which i use several), I cannot support this action.

This is basically trying to hold the devs to ransom. As a dev i would not negotiate with people under such conditions.

I understand you must have frustrations at times, but right now is not the time to escalate this. We are still in the period after a major patch with some major issues still outstanding. When the dust settles, by all means, push, but not like this.

I'm just going to say that the timing of this is obvious, and to be honest, very childish. It is, at best, wasting the time and effort of the playerbase in the event. FDev didnt have to do anything for 3rd party developers at all.

As one of the Admirals coordinating the defense, you've now made my life a living hell, and I will not support 3rd party developers from this point forward.

With me, all this has accomplished is a personal boycott of sites that I once considered useful.

Had you done so at a time where it was less vital to Drew Wagar and more respectful to the amount of time and effort that people who aren't getting paid at all (like myself and literally more than a thousand others) I would be more supportive.

I do not think this is a productive tactic.

Yes, people spent much time and effort developing and supporting third party tools. But this effort does not entitle you to make any demands of Frontier, and an attempt to do so is likely to to have the opposite effect from what you wish.

If you wish to engage with the ED developers, continue to engage with them - appreciating that their time is limited, and there are commercial reasons why it might be deployed elsewhere. Right after a big patch, I expect they are more concerned with keeping the game working, and fixing those bugs - rightly so, IMO - than in fixing bugs which affect game aids which, while helpful, are not essential to game players.

Do not confront them with ultimatums.

(As an answer to Jpfan01 )
Well, you do get to play with all the tools FDEV thinks you need to have a good time, now that the 3rd party sites are offline for you.

No, I'll use the backups I made once I find where I put them. Then they can continue to complain that fdev doesn't cater to them and fdev can continue to ignore them, like they do most everything.

I cant thank all the 3rd Party App developers enough, the hard work and professionalism they provide, without much reward, to the E:D community is invaluable.

While direct support on an individual basis to each and every 3rd Party developer is going to be beyond the resources of Frontier, I am sure that some more structured and responsive arrangement would be possible to help these guys and the wider community to continue enjoying the game, community and experience of E:D.

Help support 3rd party developers! Sites like INARA and EDDB etc. are the backbone of Elite Dangerous! the ability to customise all your ships, check commodity prices in a system you're not in and discover what materials engineers need from you makes your in-game characters life so much easier. Communication is key here as the people that create these sites do it completely for FREE. I'm sure many players (me included) may be inconvienienced by this but I for one fully support it if it helps bring Frontier to the table. Acknowledge the work that these great members of our community do and please be more transparent.

Question: Do we need another protest goat or similar?

Edit: Yes the timing of this is deliberate, and I myself am taking part in the event set up by Drew but please try to sympathise.

Last edited:
Had you done so at a time where it was less vital to Drew Wagar and more respectful to the amount of time and effort that people who aren't getting paid at all (like myself and literally more than a thousand others) I would be more supportive.
The point of strikes is to cause the biggest upset to largest amount of people as possible. Doing this on another weekend would not have the same effect.

I'd be fumbling around in the dark without these 3rd party tools. They're a great complement to the game.

This is basically trying to hold the devs to ransom. As a dev i would not negotiate with people under such conditions.
They're not terrorists. They're not shutting down the Frontier servers. They're providing a lot of basic features that should be available to scifi pilots in the 4th millennium, i.e. some of these 3rd party tools should have been available in-game in 2014.

Last edited:
I also support this Issue. 3rd Party Tools are vital for every Multiplayer-Game. And as long the Game-Developers are not able to implement tools like Ship-Outiffters or really detailed Trade- or System-Informations, tools like EDDB. EDShipyards/Coriolis or EDSM are an essential help for all Commanders out there in the void.

I support your sites, plenty, but not this strike. A better way would be to have a link to a petition thread on all the sites and ask people who use them to show how much they appreciate them, showing FDev their usefulness and imnportance to the community.

Instead, you're just alienating people and FDev isn't going to hear anything about it except whininess.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom