#support3rdparty - Why we temporarily shut down our sites.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
YOU do not pay a penny to these people.
YOU have used their tools at least once.
YOU don't get to decide if a bunch of VOLUNTEERS are doing the wrong thing.

Of course you do, your ad views fund them, your donations, your usage makes them go, your participation motivates them if they are motivated by community/game/coding experience etc), if they expect to get paid as professional devs, yeah you don't, go kickstart a company with goals and people can directly fund that. Just stop with this absurd argument they are doing it for free and all that happened is because they worry about the community (while putting it in flames)

Last edited:
First of all, ads and donations give me like 200€ a month. So that makes a profit of 130€ before tax.
Actually calculating the "running cost" is another story. A developers hourly rate is what? Something between 50€ and 280€? Doesn't matter.

What matters is that I spent thousends of hours creating and maintaining EDDB and it was never about the money. It was about having fun supporting a game I love.

Whoever comes up with any thought about money - it doesn't matter here! If we make a loss of 50€ or a profit of 100€ - this is a joke compared to actual developer costs. So whoever is continuing on this argument - nope, it's not our reality!

szopin eloquently explained the thing about money already, so I'm just going to ask: why did you do this now? Right in the middle of FDev running around fixing bugs with the game as fast as possible and a major event coming up this weekend? In my opinion, and the opinions of others the timing is really underhanded at best (Phoenix_DFire said it was sabotage at worst as well, on top of this/the last page, though I wouldn't go that far, going with scummy at worst) and you could likely have gotten the same results if you had done it at a more stable time, with less frustration on everyone's part. I would certainly be less questioning of your move (and any financial gains) if it hadn't come at the time it did.

Of course noone cares what developer hourly wage is as noone agreed to pay you per hour, so still not sure why this is part of any equations as to running costs. Thanks for coming clear that you're not actually throwing your own money at this, still 200euro seems bit low with stated millions of views with one ad per page. Thanks

You have a somewhat incorrect view of the internet market. "Views" will make you exactly zero money. Internet is not a newspaper where advertisers pay to print their ads - online advertisers pay for clicks, i.e. will pay you something for each time someone explicitly clicks on an ad. Clicks are a very small percentage of views. €200 is in fact what you can expect for a small private site,.

Last edited:

Just to let you know, Ozric, I have read every single post on this thread, including all of yours. I am somewhat dismayed at what has been written, because I think you're being unreasonable, especially given the history section of the OP.

I do not feel the need to justify my existence to you. As far as I'm concerned I make my little application for me. I decided at one point to package it up for others to use if they so chose to - and I specifically told everyone this and still do.

That's it, really, as far as I'm concerned. People can choose to use Captain's Log, or choose not to. They can also make requests and bug reports, and I'll pick and choose what I want to spend my time on to add new things or not, depending on if I have the energy and willingness to do so. Bugfixes for some things reported by users do get fixed as rapidly as I can though - I try to take a bit of pride in producing something which works well.

I even spent the time making a user manual for the other users.

So yeah, the things you have written in previous posts - my response to them overall is "I do not have to justify my existence or what I do, to you, dear Ozric."

I was going to write something else, but...

If you think being a 3rd party developer gives you a living wage, why don't you start something as well?
Then come back here and share your tale. You might learn a thing or two along the way.

If at all would do it in FOSS environment so anyone can pick up when ppl get bored and leave, with clear financials (advertised on the page if any donations, same with ads though that is not really FOSS way). Have a job, so can't expect people to pay me for whatever I tell them it took me, my problem if I sunk a night into it. Just drop it

- - - Updated - - -

You have a somewhat incorrect view of the internet market. "Views" will make you exactly zero money. Internet is not a newspaper where advertisers pay to print their ads - online advertisers pay for clicks, i.e. will pay you something for each time someone explicitly clicks on an ad. Clicks are a very small percentage of views. €200 is in fact what you can expect for a small private site,.

Millions of views is not small private site, please. You have CPM and CPC rates (per click and per impressions, with views of course a lot smaller), so again poor argument. Go google CPM rates to see impressions, between 2.4-2.8$ according to google itself. With people clicking it can be higher

Last edited:

Brett C

Frontier
Hi all,

At this point, I will be closing this thread. After review of the last many pages, we've delved into the land of off-topic, trolling, and rather circular discussions.

Our reply on the subject can be found by clicking the link within the orange box at the top of the thread. Thanks.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom