Supported helmets

Where can I find out which latest models of virtual reality helmets are officially and guaranteed to be supported by the Elite Dangerous?

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Not officially supported but it works (first time setup is more tricky from what I read - I don't own one, using a Vive and still waiting for my Index ... since March. Will be interesting what will be faster, the Index or the discontinuation of VR in Elite ;)).

Generally you can use any of the current VR-Headsets, some might need a bit more work but all can run the current version of ED, I saw some people using a Playstation VR headset on PC.

using a Vive and still waiting for my Index ... since March
Ouch. I ordered mine seconds after they were in stock again and got it two weeks after. Even if the black levels are worse you get used to them and I really don't want to go back to the Vive. I feel your frustration.

With how elite uses the steam VR subsystem, just about any VR rig that works with steam will work. Controllers don't matter since those are not used in the game.

I've gone from a Rift CV 1 to a Dell Visor to my current Odyssey+, all of them have worked.

I have the 8K and 8K+ from Pimax (as well as a mothballed Rift CV1). The Pimax setup these days is pretty easy, but Elite does need "Parallel Projections" mode enabled in the settings (single check box), which places an (unnecessary) burden on the PC. Settings can be tweaked from the defaults to get even more clarity etc.

The pro is the FoV is wow (think full face crash helmet or better in some respects...

The cons are the elastic headstrap on both is not great (a rigid band is coming) and Odyssey won't support it (or any other HMD)...

Can talk about both the rift s and the quest both of which I use. The quest is slow and also heavy after a whiles. With 2 wires coming out after a few hours it's ok but comparison to rift s... well there isn't any.
Rift s is gorgeous. I'm in higher settings to maximise it and looks amazing.
Gutted fdev ain't supporting VR on release of next expansion and still feel personally, it's gonner change.
But if not.... let's just wait n see

Can talk about both the rift s and the quest both of which I use. The quest is slow and also heavy after a whiles. With 2 wires coming out after a few hours it's ok but comparison to rift s... well there isn't any.
Rift s is gorgeous. I'm in higher settings to maximise it and looks amazing.
Gutted fdev ain't supporting VR on release of next expansion and still feel personally, it's gonner change.
But if not.... let's just wait n see
My findings exactly. Quest is just too heavy.
Rift S is such a step up compared to CV1!

Would love to try Valve's newish bad boy. It ticks a lot of boxes, including wide FoV and decent headphones

My findings exactly. Quest is just too heavy.
Rift S is such a step up compared to CV1!

Would love to try Valve's newish bad boy. It ticks a lot of boxes, including wide FoV and decent headphones
Yeah, i'd love to give the Index a go, but the price is a bit too toppy for my budget, plus my Rift S ticks almost all the boxes. Would like better blacks and the sound (speakers are not even a term I would use) is terrible, but I got around the sound issue by buying a cheap pair of earbuds and cable tied them to the side of the Rift, simple, comfy, good sound and inexpensive.

All the oculus HMD's, and any HMD that will work with SteamVR, which is pretty much all the ones that connect to a pc.
And a few more, depending how adventurous you want to get.

As for audio on the rift-s I have no issues wearing headphones over mine.
The foam of all the headphones I have tested comfortably slots between the headband and the top of my ear, this is actually even better than what happens with the cv1 and reverb where the headband passes along and through the cups, puncturing the seal.

Off the top of my head, My mainstay headphones is a wireless logitech set, also tested a few pair of hyperX's, my NAD hifi cans, Audeze Mobius.
So even with my fairly large sized head and ears, and the fact that I have tested over half a dozen different headsets with the S, audio is not a major issue.
Just make sure to expand the headband on them before putting them over the S's halo band.

All the oculus HMD's, and any HMD that will work with SteamVR, which is pretty much all the ones that connect to a pc.
And a few more, depending how adventurous you want to get.

As for audio on the rift-s I have no issues wearing headphones over mine.
The foam of all the headphones I have tested comfortably slots between the headband and the top of my ear, this is actually even better than what happens with the cv1 and reverb where the headband passes along and through the cups, puncturing the seal.

Off the top of my head, My mainstay headphones is a wireless logitech set, also tested a few pair of hyperX's, my NAD hifi cans, Audeze Mobius.
So even with my fairly large sized head and ears, and the fact that I have tested over half a dozen different headsets with the S, audio is not a major issue.
Just make sure to expand the headband on them before putting them over the S's halo band.
Yep, i had used plantronics 780 with rift s with no issue. The main benefit of on-board speakers is that its not so hot like with external headphones, and you can use it for discord, while the game uses main pc speakers setup

I have a question for owners of Valve Index, Pimax 8K, and the new version of the HP Reverb G2 helmet. Is it possible to use these helmets for people who wear glasses? The fact is that most reviews about these helmets do not mention this important nuance. And for me personally, this is very important. I wear glasses.

Not for the pimax unless they have completely redesigned the facial interface and lenses since 5k. And nothing I have seen would suggest that.

I regret ever backing that piece of company.

The Index lenses are pretty close to the eyes by default. I do believe that there is a possibility to move them further away, which might accommodate glasses, but at the price of a loss of FoV. It also depends on the glasses of course, but my guess would be that it is tight.

I have a question for owners of Valve Index, Pimax 8K, and the new version of the HP Reverb G2 helmet. Is it possible to use these helmets for people who wear glasses? The fact is that most reviews about these helmets do not mention this important nuance. And for me personally, this is very important. I wear glasses.
You can get prescription lenses for lots of headsets...

https://vroptician.com/

My oversized glasses fit fine in my HP G1 which is broadly the same dimensions inside as the G2

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
A friend tried my Index with glasses, they didn't fit at first but there is a slider to move the lenses away from the eyes. After that they fit, with a small loss of FoV (but otoh with glasses theFoV is limited anyhow, everything the glasses cover is also covered by the FoV of the Index).

It would depend on the glasses I guess, very big ones might be a problem. It is similar to the HTC Vive, if you know that for comparison.

Top Bottom