Surviving spacelegs

If/when spacelegs shows up would you like to see it bring mild survival elements to Elite? In my opinion we do have some slight survival elements already in the ships i.e. fuel necessities and module degradation which goes at least a small length to add suspense and danger to traveling into deep space. Would you like to see things like the need for food (which I think did play some part in the original Elite, could be mistaken though) or the danger of space expanded upon in a spacelegs expansion?

Limited Oxygen and space-suit integrity when running about on a barren world, sound like fun. Needing food sounds like a massive pain in the behind. I want to walk on stations to enjoy the scale of them, and by that I mean relative size, not grocery shopping by weight.

Food and health / fitness... No thanks.

Oxygen and atmospheric hazards, absolutely.

What numbnut would go walking about on a planet with surface temperature of 500c :D

It could make fauna quite the hazard. Some angry club beetle decides to lacerate your air tank for example. Could happen... If you were a thargoid breathing some kind of chlorine based air, and it got jumped by a panther and had its space suit damaged... I'd make sure the Thargoid went on youtube as 'cat fail'

Last edited:
I like survival games, but Elite is not one, nor would it make for a particularly good one.
NMS has survival mechanics enough, and I wouldn’t really consider it a survival game either.

A long limited oxygen supply would be sufficient.

Not that there aren’t threats enough, many that haven’t even been considered:

Corrosive Atmospheres that eat away at your suit’s integrity.
Crushing Atmospheric Pressures.
Crushing gravity. The average person would find 2 g difficult after a short time, but your hearts and lungs and intracranial and spinal fluids would have even harder times, and would ultimately fail as gravity increases. Those who’ve spent extended time in microgravity would have it even harder.

I don’t see EV operations being viable without serious consideration being given to an EV suit that can provide systems and protection from extreme environments. Some manner of augmented exoskeleton combined with some serious pharmacopoeia would be necessary.

And that’s fine. That just means minding Power and Oxygen, and that’s survivalism enough for Elite.

As for buttons... Forward to walk forward, back to walk backwards, left and right to side step, mouse or hat switch to look around (or geek goggle head tracking). What more would we really need?

A pair of triggers for interaction (right hand primary, left hand secondary [configurable for lefties and righties]) and perhaps one more to use a thruster pack. It really wouldn’t be that different than driving an SRV. Just the propulsion system would be different.

Last edited:
Could probably tie the oxygen use to the planet's gravity. The higher the gravity the more oxygen you use because of the energy needed to overcome it.

I think space legs should be left to other games.

Walking around most of the ships, especially the large ones would be tedious. Take a long look at some of the In-Scale pictures, specifically the one showing the ships parked above a football field, with a python over it, almost longer and wider than the field. You really want to have to navigate, on foot, ships that large?

Then there is having to add in things to interact with.

Then you have the performance penalty that comes with having ships that actually have internal areas. This means a lot more detail, a lot more to load, a lot more to render. Etc etc etc.

Let's focus on Quality of Life, and general universe improvements over adding half-baked "features". More Poi's, intelligent AI (Because my 1t of cargo, valued at 1,000cr is NOT valuable enough for every single pirate in the universe to be gunning for me.) more realism to the BGS (There is still an outpost that's been starving for years, still in famine. Why aren't they all dead?) QoL improvements to SRV's, more variety and style to them. New UI's, based on ship manufacturer, and modular, to allow for customization (and monetization, by seilling UI skins). Skins and decals as rewards for ranking up with at least super-powers (Some ranks unlock ships. Ranks between ship unlocks, could have decals and a skin for said ship.) We /JUST/ got a tripple Elite Decal, and they FINALLY started doing the occasional CG with a decal reward. I could go on, but I think I made the point I was going for. Sorry for the wall of text.

Sub-system damage for my commander?

This sounds more like it...

If space legs becomes a reality then my commander would have a health bar (space leg activities depending).
So that health bar becoming a permanent feature in game including during space combat could be an interesting addition.

But the need to fiddle with food and toilet breaks in game sounds pointless.

Oxygen supply - yes. Food and stuff like that, not keen on.

What I would like is modular kits to build a semi-permanent base on a chosen planet. Living quarters, science lab, SRV garage and stuff like that.

I always figured if walking around happened, it would be a lot like STO:
- you can walk around your ship, which is now an unconnected instance.
- You can park in a space station and walk around in it. Maybe some new mission givers only give missions like this. These are all missions that require getting out of your ship.
- There are planetary facilities you can land on and run around/fight/whatever in.
- Maybe there will be EVA stuff as well, but its basically a very small SLF with your arms waving around in front of you. This is probably the easiest thing for them to do, as they can just use the existing game engine.

DeletedUser191218

D
If/when spacelegs shows up would you like to see it bring mild survival elements to Elite? In my opinion we do have some slight survival elements already in the ships i.e. fuel necessities and module degradation which goes at least a small length to add suspense and danger to traveling into deep space. Would you like to see things like the need for food (which I think did play some part in the original Elite, could be mistaken though) or the danger of space expanded upon in a spacelegs expansion?

I'm not really into the survival thing. It's a no from me.

I always figured if walking around happened, it would be a lot like STO:
- you can walk around your ship, which is now an unconnected instance.
- You can park in a space station and walk around in it. Maybe some new mission givers only give missions like this. These are all missions that require getting out of your ship.
- There are planetary facilities you can land on and run around/fight/whatever in.
- Maybe there will be EVA stuff as well, but its basically a very small SLF with your arms waving around in front of you. This is probably the easiest thing for them to do, as they can just use the existing game engine.

Walking around inside the ship would be a good start. Also, maybe having to walk up to a window to turn in your combat bonds. They need to start with something simple and then add to it as the updates happen.

I like survival games but this ain't one of 'em. I don't want that level of avatar management in Elite; it's not the kind of cargo dumping gameplay I'm looking for.

Top Bottom