Surviving & Upsetting Reverski Snipers

So whats the best trick to deal with reverski snipers who hang out at the edge of their 6k range filling you with holes?

Reverski yourself and low wake
☝ what he said...
Hit the brakes and let them know you'll wait.
This works too, but often it will only lead to another round of reverski, because those builds can't outdamage a PA build (for example) at close range...
AFAIK, those builds are specifically used because they are so difficult to counter.
Therefore just ignore them, if you aren't in a long range railverski build and a crack kb+m shot.

Came across a few recently, hence the question. Latest thing seems to be engineered canons with long range and force shell. Impossible to target cause they knock you spinning, so they just sit there and punch holes in you until you've had enough.

Was hoping for 'you can try this ship/build' etc.

For instance - is there a target lock range on seeker missiles? Would Thermal effect on seekers offer a route to upsetting them?

Game is broke if there is no solution...

Came across a few recently, hence the question. Latest thing seems to be engineered canons with long range and force shell. Impossible to target cause they knock you spinning, so they just sit there and punch holes in you until you've had enough.

For instance - is there a target lock range on seeker missiles? Would Thermal effec ton seekers offer a route to upsetting them?
Force shell cannons aren't hitscan, so you should theoretically be able to avoid a lot of fire by changing vector often.
FAoff is bad against force shell, so better use FAon.
But I never ran into such a build, only the classic railverski Phantoms and Mambas.

Also you won't outdamage a reverski build with seekers.

I think at long ranges, it doesnt matter if its hitscan or not, due to the way the game works. Otherwise it'd be impossible hit anything with a cnnon at range, which it clearly isnt. Changing vector doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell, when you're 6km away. I tend to use vertical thruster all the time to change vector - never makes a difference..

Long range increase the projectile speed, so aiming is easier, too.

For instance - is there a target lock range on seeker missiles? Would Thermal effect on seekers offer a route to upsetting them?

Game is broke if there is no solution...

There are lots of things in Elite with no solution. Personally, I enjoy the asymmetry but understand when someone does not.

That said, I don't recall what the range lock is for seekers but I believe it is longer than or at least close to 6km. Missiles with drag munitions and emissive effects will slow them down and make it less fun for them. You could also try long range phasing sequence pulse lasers. If they skipped hull day, you could irritate them that way. Working up your own set of long range force shell cannons is another option.

A fast, shield tanked ship could be an option as well but of course you lose offensive potency.

For me it all comes back to my original issue: way too much work for one guy that likes his cheese.

But at the end of the day, if neither of you care to see the rebuy screen, you likely won't.

I think at long ranges, it doesnt matter if its hitscan or not, due to the way the game works. Otherwise it'd be impossible hit anything with a cnnon at range, which it clearly isnt. Changing vector doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell, when you're 6km away. I tend to use vertical thruster all the time to change vector - never makes a difference..

Long range increase the projectile speed, so aiming is easier, too.
Huh?
I can assure you above 2 km it gets exceedingly difficult to hit anything without hitscan.
Can you give me an example why you think the game works different?

Huh?
I can assure you above 2 km it gets exceedingly difficult to hit anything without hitscan.
Can you give me an example why you think the game works different?

Yeah, saying that it doesn't matter whether you use hitscan or projectile (regardless of mods) at six kilometers speaks more to your ships choice, loadout, and evasion skills than anything about the game.

What were you flying against these guys?

All I can say is that despite much wriggling, I've been peppered from range with Canons (Can't video on win 7 so cant show you examples sadly) My assumption is that the targeting is based at the offense end, and when you're farther away from them then its just getting the right pixel, then at your end, a pixels worth is huge...

I was playing with a courier, and only moderately robust one at that. I'm still a scrub with PVP, and getting used to fixed weapons - have a PA and some fixed lasers on the courier for practice. Up against a Krait or an FDL having been hauled in, not really expecting to survive..

There are lots of things in Elite with no solution. Personally, I enjoy the asymmetry but understand when someone does not.

That said, I don't recall what the range lock is for seekers but I believe it is longer than or at least close to 6km. Missiles with drag munitions and emissive effects will slow them down and make it less fun for them. You could also try long range phasing sequence pulse lasers. If they skipped hull day, you could irritate them that way. Working up your own set of long range force shell cannons is another option.

A fast, shield tanked ship could be an option as well but of course you lose offensive potency.

For me it all comes back to my original issue: way too much work for one guy that likes his cheese.

But at the end of the day, if neither of you care to see the rebuy screen, you likely won't.
I tried long range phasing against a known shindez ganker railverski mamba and I can tell you he neither skipped hull day nor was I able to outdamage him...
Was gimballed though, so lots of misses at longer ranges... perhaps with fixed. But phasing pulses do pitiful damage compared to rails.

My little courier is here:

[edit: put in the long link so I can check it work OK - Dyn DNS blocked here..]

Go easy on a PVP newb :)

All I can say is that despite much wriggling, I've been peppered from range with Canons (Can't video on win 7 so cant show you examples sadly) My assumption is that the targeting is based at the offense end, and when you're farther away from them then its just getting the right pixel, then at your end, a pixels worth is huge...

A large cannon with long range and force shell does 1333 m/s. At 4km it takes at least 3 seconds to hit you. So change vector every 2 seconds and you wont be hit... Bit of lateral thrusters pinching will do it.

I was playing with a courier, and only moderately robust one at that. I'm still a scrub with PVP, and getting used to fixed weapons - have a PA and some fixed lasers on the courier for practice. Up against a Krait or an FDL having been hauled in, not really expecting to survive..

OK, good to know. If I presume less than G5 core internals (especially thrusters) and that you were chasing them that might explain the hit rates.

Also remember with rail guns there's a micro gimbal effect that's easily leveraged at range. I think you also get that "inertia attack" message from them for some reason. Maybe that was it?

Top Bottom