Synthesis & SRV refuel and restock

So here I am out on an expedition no where near a station (to my knowledge, I have no idea on how to figure out where they are in the galaxy) and my SRV is out of ammo and down to 18% fuel.

Now in my inventory in the synthesis tab I have the materials to refuel & restock my SRV, but when I select refuel it says "SRV required"...yet I do in fact have a SRV. I can synthesize other things for my ship, but why not for my SRV? What am i missing??

Actions generally apply to the vehicle you're currently in. Even though the SRV is docked in your vehicle, you're not able to interact with it unless you launch in it. I've noticed when docking at a port, the SRV auto-restocks itself as I land, so even the station services restock applies only to the ship, never to the SRV itself (but possibly to the SRV bay, if one was destroyed and needs to be replenished in the inventory).

Yea, this is one of those times where I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer...I can at least admit that. Simple explanation to a rather simple situation.

There are a number of these ... idiosyncrasies of UI design that us oldies can think are obvious (but they aren't) - always worth a google as ones like this seem pretty well covered by past threads :)

So here I am out on an expedition no where near a station (to my knowledge, I have no idea on how to figure out where they are in the galaxy) and my SRV is out of ammo and down to 18% fuel.

Now in my inventory in the synthesis tab I have the materials to refuel & restock my SRV, but when I select refuel it says "SRV required"...yet I do in fact have a SRV. I can synthesize other things for my ship, but why not for my SRV? What am i missing??

I'm a little late to this forum... I just figured it out myself. I am providing this information for the benefit of others who might stumble onto this thread.
  1. REFUELING/REARMING/REPAIRING WHEN DOCKING
    1. I have Horizons (obviously), otherwise no need for an SRV! I have heard about a bug or fault where the SRV is not repaired/rearmed/refueled when you have successfully docked. I personally have never run into that problem, regardless of whether I have docked at Big stations (like Coriolis) or small outposts.
  2. SYNTHESIZING MINERALS WHEN OUT IN THE FIELD.
    1. Rule 1: You must be in your SRV to do this.
    2. Rule 2: You must have some minerals in your inventory for synthesizing. Most "recipes" offer "Basic", "Standard" and "Premium" options. I will only discuss the "Basic".
      1. SRV AMMO RESTOCK.
        1. While in your SRV, open the RIGHT panel.
        2. Select the INVENTORY tab.
        3. Move down the menu icons (on the left) to the SYNTHESIS icon.
        4. In the right pane, select "SRV AMMO RESTOCK".
        5. Select the "Basic" option tab (selected by default).
        6. Recipe is 2 Sulphur and 1 Phosporous. Don't for sure how many units of ammo are created. However, at the bottom, it will show "nnn Reloads Available."
        7. Press your #1 Fire button to execute the "REARM SRV TURRET".
      2. SRV REFUEL
        1. Same procedure as for SRV AMMO RESTOCK, except in step 4, select "SRV REFUEL".
        2. Select the option: "Basic", "Standard", or "Premium". For the Basic "recipe", 1 Sulphur and 1 Phosphorous are consumed. Don't know how many units of fuel are created for the recipe.
      3. SRV REPAIR
        1. Same procedure as for SRV AMMO RESTOCK, except in step 4, select "SRV REPAIR".
        2. Select the option desired. For the basic recipe, 1 Iron and 1 Nickel will be consumed.
It appears that for each of these options, it will restore your SRV to 100% AMMO/FUEL/REPAIR. I don't see an option to perform an incremental repair.
Additionally, if you do not have the needed materials for one of the recipes, the tab will appear red. Navigating to the tab will display "INSUFFICIENT MATERIALS" at the bottom.

I hope that this helps other CMDRs out there who are struggling to refuel/rearm/repair their SRVs. I just got done backtracking over 300 LY on an exploration run because I thought that you could only perform these actions at some kind of dock. Wrong! I guess I should read the manual, eh?

May you have fair seas and a following wind. -- 18th Centuray age of sail benediction.

PS: I just noted that this posting is in the XBox section of the forum. My instructions are for the PC version (STEAM). However, I kind of expect that it would work the same way.

CMDR Jamie MacKellar

Last edited:
Top Bottom