System Scanning

I'm currently sitting in system NGC 3532 sector ZU-Y D 13 used the discovery sensor upon entering the system, all normal. Opened FSS and was told there were 8 bodies in said system, again normal. I proceeded to discover the bodies up through 6 with the star being the 7th, again all normal. It says I'm only at 89% system bodies discovered there are no other bodies in FSS mode. On the navigation screen it says there are only 6 bodies and the main star making 7 not 8. Nothing is unexplored no other planets, asteroid belts, or stars or anything for that matter. Ik that developers and coders are like weathermen they can't do a thing right but yet still get paid but being unable to count to 8 is the end of it all. Is It something in my game or did some jackass in his mom's basement hunched over a keyboard transpose a 1 and a 0

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest raising a bug, but you sound too irate - angry bugs don't go down too well.

Maybe try and raise a bug when you've calmed down a bit?

My bet is on a planet with an eccentric orbit, OP needs to search more. Maybe move the ship away from entry point so the star doesn't obscure the planet...

My bet is on a planet with an eccentric orbit, OP needs to search more. Maybe move the ship away from entry point so the star doesn't obscure the planet...

^this

Also, if you express your frustrations like this in real life, I'd advise you to count to 10 beforehand.

I have had a missing planet before. Might be a bug. Try the suggestions above first (calming down, fly away at the normal to the most common orbital plane and look for outliers, check secondary stars, look behind main star). If none of that works, create a bug report and be sure to include the system you are in.

If it is truly a Mysterious Object not found by the FSS, you might be able to find it using Mk I eyeball, by flying a good distance away, then approaching the system at an angle while looking for moving "stars" that have not been logged by the FSS.

:D S

Hello. I've edited your thread to make it suitable for a family-friendly forum (such as this one).

Please submit a bug report, they really do help. Try to provide as much clear and concise info as you can

Thanks.

Last edited:
Every single thing thats been recommended is in the noob guide How to play Elite I'm not a noob I know how to play the game and have been playing for almost 2 years. The short of it is there is a system that tells you in FSS mode that there are 8 bodies while the Nav panel only shows 7 if there were anything below the orbital plane it would show up in the Nav panel yet it still says 89%

All unexplored bodies show in the nav panel... they just say unexplored. You don't jump into a system and the nav panel is blank. The orrery and the system map only show 7 bodies not the 8 that the FSS mode says.

Last edited:
All unexplored bodies show in the nav panel... they jist say unexplored.
That happens if the system is previously explored by someone else*. And even then, only those bodies they have scanned show in Nav Panel / System Map / Scanner.

*inhabited systems (IIRC above 1 million inhabitants) are an exception, they're pre-explored for everyone.

Last edited:
All unexplored bodies show in the nav panel... they just say unexplored. You don't jump into a system and the nav panel is blank. The orrery and the system map only show 7 bodies not the 8 that the FSS mode says.

Noi you are wrong - you only see bodies that either you or someone else has discovered.

Have a look at the FSA graph base-line - you will no doubt see a "squiggle" still on it - the signal from the last body which you have failed to resolve probably because it is in a different orbital plane or maybe behind the star (if you have not checked that yet).

Last edited:
Noi you are wrong - you only see bodies that either you or someone else has discovered.

Have a look at the FSA graph base-line - you will no doubt see a "squiggle" still on it - the signal from the last body which you have failed to resolve probably because it is in a different orbital plane or maybe behind the star (if you have not checked that yet).

I appreciate the help of the forum in attacking my issue thank you all for answering. But it's not there honking brings up all bodies in a system whether someone has been there or not. I honked and it said 8 yet it's not in the nav panel or in the FSS or in the Orrery or hiding behind the star or under the orbital plane there is not an "unexplored body" left in the system I'll jist have to settle for it saying 89% complete.

I honked and it said 8 yet it's not in the nav panel or in the FSS or in the Orrery or hiding behind the star or under the orbital plane there is not an "unexplored body" left in the system I'll jist have to settle for it saying 89% complete.
Yes, 'honking' gives you the body count, and FSS then shows how many of those you have scanned. The unscanned body will not appear in Nav Panel / Orrery / System Map until you do scan it. Not even as 'unexplored', if nobody has scanned the body before.
The blue blob may be quite pale, but it should be there somewhere, provided the FSS still shows an unresolved signal at planetary frequency.
Screenshot of your FSS view would help to troubleshoot this better.

Last edited:
......... But it's not there honking brings up all bodies in a system whether someone has been there or not..........

Just how many people have to tell you how a feature actually works for you to be able to accept that your preconceptions are mistaken and that others are correct?

Screenshot of your FSA graph will, as Zieman says, let us help you better.

Last edited:
I have an infinite scanner it will still say how many bodies are in the system and give you a list of the bodies in the Nav panel in said system whether its just the (1) star or in the case of he heong 54 bodies in the system the only difference in exploring is now you no longer have to fly to each to do the detail scan that's the FSS and the detailed surface scans are now surface probes. The advanced discovery scanner hasn't been changed.

The advanced discovery scanner hasn't been changed.

Yes it has.

It only populates the system map if *somebody* has been there before you and scanned the planets. The further you are away from the bubble, the more likely that your system map will show up blank after you honk.

So, you need to use the waveforms at the bottom of the screen to help you find the planets.

Absolutely right. My preferred case is a system with lots of bodies indicated after the honk and only the sun in system map. Lots of first discovered tags to be made 😎

OP, NGC 3532 sector zu-y d-13 is close to the guardian ruins systems which is still in relative proximity to populated space, so my guess is that you're starting to encounter some undiscovered systems outside of the bubble while using the FSS. As others have already mentioned the FSS honk can vaguely tell all the number of major bodies of an undiscovered system, but doesn't show them on the system map until they are resolved by the FSS tuning and focus. Previously discovered systems and scanned bodies by someone else will show up in the system map already, but not the FSS if you haven't scanned it before. (or had traveled and regular ship scanned the body with DSS before.) (now instead of the DSS in the old system, the onboard scanners will resolve the body like the FSS if you approach it close enough physically without having to use the FSS) You can tell if the system has been previously discovered by someone in the system map where it will say "discovered by" over a system body or in the lower middle when resolving a system body in the FSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom