Guide / Tutorial T. Flight HOTAS - PB Suggested Mapping

Hey folks. It's been found useful over on Facebook and Twitter so thought I'd drop it here too. I've been running *most* of this mapping for some time, with the added FSS and DSS now having been given a shakedown it's working very well for me.

unknown.png

Some interesting ideas here. And a superb pic. Rep!

Personal note: <UIFocus>
<Primary Device="Keyboard" Key="Key_LeftShift" />
<Secondary Device="ThrustMasterTFlightHOTASX" Key="Joy_8" />
</UIFocus>

This works as a zoom out. Nice during the fighting so see where the enemy is heading.

Last edited:
I have no idea that you could also keep pressing the other buttons in the Thrust "stick" to activate the HAT so you can have more options. I always use "Y" to then select left/right/comms panels with the HAT but had no idea that the other buttons could do the same with other functions.

The only thing I'm actually missing with my config is the up/down/left right flight controls (mostly used while landing or in combat), the rest can all be made relying in the use of the left and right panels alone and it works like a dream. (like turning off lights, cargo scoop, night vision, etc all of those things that you don't need to use while in a hurry situation)

It is a good config but some things can be better like "B1" to lock on target or select target ahead (works for ships or planets, etc), "B2" for me is for FSD or deactivating FDS, "B4" toggle flight assist off/on, "B3" select ships sub-systems, "NEXT" landing gear up/down (deployed or not), "PREV" hardpoints deployment and maybe some more stuff can be better.

Hey folks. It's been found useful over on Facebook and Twitter so thought I'd drop it here too. I've been running *most* of this mapping for some time, with the added FSS and DSS now having been given a shakedown it's working very well for me.

Am I missing something? I can't see a link in this post, or a dropped file...

I'm trying to find more ideas on setting up X56 HOTAS with Elite so this interests me greatly

Some interesting ideas here. And a superb pic. Rep!

Personal note: <UIFocus>
<Primary Device="Keyboard" Key="Key_LeftShift" />
<Secondary Device="ThrustMasterTFlightHOTASX" Key="Joy_8" />
</UIFocus>

This works as a zoom out. Nice during the fighting so see where the enemy is heading.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll be honest though, your code doesn't make sense to me atm, just as I'm an xbox player and not well versed with the language. I would ask

Which is Joy_8

Also is this binding so increase the field of view on the fly? I'm not 100% this is an optin we have on console but would really like to try and find a combination for it if we do have it.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll be honest though, your code doesn't make sense to me atm, just as I'm an xbox player and not well versed with the language. I would ask Which is Joy_8
Also is this binding so increase the field of view on the fly? I'm not 100% this is an optin we have on console but would really like to try and find a combination for it if we do have it.
I know nothing about about Xbox :S but on PC X = 6 , A = 7, B = 8. ED saves config on PC in Binds file.
It is easy to edit this file in a Notepad (on PC) after initial configuration. That way You can manually do some tricks.

Holding <UIFocus> on B with a bottom of the palm finger will temporary increase field of view (kind of workaround for the lack of head tracking).
You still have a tip of the thumb finger for other things at the same time.

You can also map additional function to modifiers. I have X and A as a modifiers, and I mapped them both for SC (e.g.).
So just by twisting the middle part of the thumb pressing both at once can activate something.

By manually modifying binds file, you can map different functions to the same button (if it is not colliding flight mode). That you can not do in game settings. E.g. landing gear in normal flight can be FSS in SC.

B1 should be main modifier (index finger), your fingers will be grateful.

Never crossed my mind to use B5 as a modifier. Thanks.

Last edited:
what no set 75% thrust? good work op!

Good observation without explanation...

75% throttle is mandatory to exit 6 second before the target from SC (for the most of the players).
So here is a simple solution for OP's binds without altering other bindings:

Bind A + B at 75% throttle (using only modifiers here) and just twist the thumb to exit SC.

Last edited:
Do you guys get the same problem as me, in that when binding two button combinations, it always triggers the action of the first button before triggering the action of the two combined?

I.e. in the example of the OP.. to look at Comms, I would hold "X" and press up on the hat...but that would deploy my hardpoints first before it looked at comms because X is mapped to deploy hardpoints.
Does that make any sense?

It has led to me needing to leave one button on my HOTAS completely unmapped for anything by itself, so that I can use it for multi button commands without triggering anything I don't want.
And I'm now wondering if I'm missing something obvious that would make it where I don't have to do that.

Enlighten me please! This would be huge if I could get around it.

IMHO - yes. Otherwise modifiers could not function. However, modifiers are HOLD function.
You can map one-time action to a modifier but be careful what do you want to use (tap action).

E.g. you can map you can map landing gear to some FSS modifier, so it will not interfere
(landing gear will not deploy in SC - example).
Deploy weapons must be solo button (reasons)

I am too tired now to think, but your could play with reverse order of button combos.
I use UIfocus + hat for panels. I also have 4 modifiers and they (or their combos) has also their own function (they are not "lost") - 6 additional function. Another example (numbers are modifiers):

1 + 2 = SC
1 + 3 = 75% speed
2 + 3 = 50% a.k.a "Blue Zone"

Last edited:
IMHO - yes. Otherwise modifiers could not function. However, modifiers are HOLD function.
You can map one-time action to a modifier but be careful what do you want to use (tap action).

E.g. you can map you can map landing gear to some FSS modifier, so it will not interfere
(landing gear will not deploy in SC - example).
Deploy weapons must be solo button (reasons)

I am too tired now to think, but your could play with reverse order of button combos.
I use UIfocus + hat for panels. I also have 4 modifiers and they (or their combos) has also their own function (they are not "lost") - 6 additional function. Another example (numbers are modifiers):

1 + 2 = SC
1 + 3 = 75% speed
2 + 3 = 50% a.k.a "Blue Zone"

I understand that. I guess I am asking is do the modifiers themselves need to always be mapped to blank? I understand something can have a primary function, and you can use it as a secondary button in conjunction with a modifier that you hold, and it won't trigger its' primary function. Again though, I am asking about the modifiers themselves. The button you hold. If it is mapped to anything, even if I hold it down, it triggers as if I pressed and not held.

To make it easier for me, if someone could just answer true or false to the following scenario:

If I used OPs bindings exactly as they are, I was not in SC, and I wanted to look at my Comms panel... my ship would deploy hardpoints as well as look at the Comm panel. True or false?

Last edited:
I understand that. I guess I am asking is do the modifiers themselves need to always be mapped to blank? I understand something can have a primary function, and you can use it as a secondary button in conjunction with a modifier that you hold, and it won't trigger its' primary function. Again though, I am asking about the modifiers themselves. The button you hold. If it is mapped to anything, even if I hold it down, it triggers as if I pressed and not held.

To make it easier for me, if someone could just answer true or false to the following scenario:

If I used OPs bindings exactly as they are, I was not in SC, and I wanted to look at my Comms panel... my ship would deploy hardpoints as well as look at the Comm panel. True or false?

I would say true...
Reasoning: Deploying hard points is a process in SC and normal space.

I've always used modifier keys as a key to press with another key, not with a function of it's own. Of course today, the fact that we can have two mode, ie Combat and Analysis can change certain buttons function.
Which was what ExoForce was eluding to.

Now retiring into a corner to be shown I'm wrong :D

I would say true...
Reasoning: Deploying hard points is a process in SC and normal space.

I've always used modifier keys as a key to press with another key, not with a function of it's own. Of course today, the fact that we can have two mode, ie Combat and Analysis can change certain buttons function.
Which was what ExoForce was eluding to.

Now retiring into a corner to be shown I'm wrong :D

Many thanks! That was helpful. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that everyone else was in on. I will continue to leave my modifiers unmapped by themselves, or keep different modes in mind.

Top Bottom