T. HOTAS One questions

Yep. HOTAS questions. I'm sure you all have seen a lot of these..
I posted some of this in another thread, but figured I'd make my own as well, since I have another question.

I've been thinking about getting a HOTAS for XB1, but have seen lots of bad reviews about T. HOTUS One in terms of quality (with no others available for XB1, as far as I've found). Reliability/defects aside, one thing mentioned a lot is the lack of resistance in the throttle control, sometimes being downright floppy out of the box. Is there any sort of way to fix this?
The way the TWCS throttle works, sliding on bars rather than on a pivot, would be amazing to have, but unfortunately that product says it isn't compatible with XBox.

Next question: Is it possible to configure custom HOTAS controls, and still keep the XB controller custom setup separately? I'd rather not have to remap my controller all over again if the HOTAS ends up failing.

Last edited:
The stick has variable tension. While I use it on its loosest setting, it's still not exactly floppy. It returns to centre pretty snappily. Maximum tension has pretty good resistance. (Irrelevant, see below)
As a control input it's very good. As you say, only the potentiometer flaw in the twist lets it down. Not everybody has had that and even if you do, they'll replace it.

Last edited:
The stick has variable tension. While I use it on its loosest setting, it's still not exactly floppy. It returns to centre pretty snappily. Maximum tension has pretty good resistance.
As a control input it's very good. As you say, only the potentiometer flaw in the twist lets it down. Not everybody has had that and even if you do, they'll replace it.
It sounds like you're talking about the joystick, not the throttle. Maybe I was a bit unclear; I'll edit my OP to be a bit clearer. Reviews were saying the throttle has no resistance whatsoever.

Yep, you can have custom controls for both a controller and T-Flight. You can swap between those and default controls at any time.

(Sorry for not reading properly, it's been a very long day)

Yep, you can have custom controls for both a controller and T-Flight. You can swap between those and default controls at any time.

(Sorry for not reading properly, it's been a very long day)
Sorry, got distracted by an e-mail after I posted that last message.

Good to know as I decide whether to buy T. HOTAS One or not. Thanks for all the answers! ^.^

I purchased a T Flight HOTAS One just under 4 weeks ago. I am on my third replacement unit. Fortunately the retailer I purchased my unit is happy to replace it and have been very helpful. When I contacted Thrustmaster about the issues, all I eventually got was something which felt like a canned response as it didn't even attempt to answer my question.

All 3 units so far have had issues with the stick, dpad, some buttons and the throttle has had no resistance. If you can play with a gamepad, I wouldn't recommend the Thrustmaster stick. It will cause you more headaches than it is worth.

The problem you have is there isn't much choice for the Xbox atm. The only other stick is the Hori which doesn't have a twist function and when I looked at it, the button layout didn't appear as it would suit this game.

I purchased a T Flight HOTAS One just under 4 weeks ago. I am on my third replacement unit. Fortunately the retailer I purchased my unit is happy to replace it and have been very helpful. When I contacted Thrustmaster about the issues, all I eventually got was something which felt like a canned response as it didn't even attempt to answer my question.

All 3 units so far have had issues with the stick, dpad, some buttons and the throttle has had no resistance. If you can play with a gamepad, I wouldn't recommend the Thrustmaster stick. It will cause you more headaches than it is worth.

The problem you have is there isn't much choice for the Xbox atm. The only other stick is the Hori which doesn't have a twist function and when I looked at it, the button layout didn't appear as it would suit this game.
I hadn't heard of that one, so I checked it out. It looks a bit nicer in some ways than T.Flight, but is more than double the price, and half the reviews were 1 star, saying the deadzone is huge, among other quality issues.

If only XBox would support other Windows 10-compatible flight sticks...

The reason I'd like to move off of controller is to be able to have more buttons and button combinations available for the crazy amount of controls E: D has, as well as immersion and better flight controls overall. Looks like that's not going to happen.

I looked at the Hori myself and I don't think it is worth the price.

The extra buttons on the T Flight are very helpful when playing Elite. Just being able to use the thrusters without constantly switching between the flight modes is nice. I can't recommend the Thrustmaster though as my lastest replace unit has developed a fault with the dpad and stick this morning after less than a week. I may have been incredibly unlucky although I have read posts detailing the same fault I have had with every unit when it comes to the stick.

As for using other controllers, unfortunately, manufacturers have to pay a license to MS for the console to support their products. They also need a security chip as whenever you connect a controller to a console, the console sends a security challenge which the chip responds too. I would love it if I could use my X52 pro natively on the Xbox. I can use it if I trick the console into thinking it is a genuine controller however that limits me to the available buttons on a gamepad.

o7 CMDR! Don’t buy it! I and another close commander had drifting issues with ours. Thrustmaster and the seller would not replace them even though they were under warranty. Bad quality, bad service...period. Just get an elite controller instead or wait until a better HOTAS is developed for Xbox. o7 CMDR! Fly safe.

o7 CMDR! Don’t buy it! I and another close commander had drifting issues with ours. Thrustmaster and the seller would not replace them even though they were under warranty. Bad quality, bad service...period. Just get an elite controller instead or wait until a better HOTAS is developed for Xbox. o7 CMDR! Fly safe.
This is pretty sad... Only two flight sticks available for XB1, and both are riddled with terrible reviews.

I was looking at the elite controller as an option, but people were saying that the paddles didn't really add more buttons, for instance, binding X+A to a paddle wouldn't work, which with E: D's plethora of controls, more buttons is one of the biggest things I'm looking for. (Unless the elite controller somehow works differently for E: D.) Also, I was hoping for a joystick/throttle setup, since it would allow for more precision in movement.

I very much doubt another XB1 HOTAS will be made, as only two have been released in the 6 years of XB1, only a handful of flight games are even on XB1 that I've seen, and the console seems to be on its last legs until the next generation.

This is pretty sad... Only two flight sticks available for XB1, and both are riddled with terrible reviews.

I was looking at the elite controller as an option, but people were saying that the paddles didn't really add more buttons, for instance, binding X+A to a paddle wouldn't work, which with E: D's plethora of controls, more buttons is one of the biggest things I'm looking for. (Unless the elite controller somehow works differently for E: D.) Also, I was hoping for a joystick/throttle setup, since it would allow for more precision in movement.

I very much doubt another XB1 HOTAS will be made, as only two have been released in the 6 years of XB1, only a handful of flight games are even on XB1 that I've seen, and the console seems to be on its last legs until the next generation.
for what it's worth, i have the Thrustmaster HOTAS and love it. it had some drift issues in the past but they are all gone now. in fact, i have put all my dead zones back down to zero. i occasionally get a slight forward throttle ghost but even with that it's still more precise than the controller. well, for me at least.

Deleted member 38366

D
I used the T.Flight HOTAS X.... and after losing one each ~3 months and having seen the ultra poor design quality. Nope. Can't recommend.

Pretty sad, since the Ergonomics and Usability are very good.
But Thrustmaster decided to run a "no Quality Control" design & manufacturing model, causing multiple mechanical failures (which are by design) that'll cause the HOTAS to fail within an unreasonably short time.

All credited to saving a few pennies on critical parts and internal design choices.
Pretty sad, with proper designing and manufacturing standards it could still be amongst my favorite HOTAS setups.

PS.
Someone once posted a very good "fix it before it breaks" Video on that HOTAS, but I can't find it anymore.
Basically it requires you to disassemble the HOTAS and shows how to properly fix the internal design failures, causing it to last a hell lot longer. Not for everyone though, involves some re-wiring and soldering.

What I've done is:
The throttle wouldn't stay where I had set it, basically it was too loose. I disassembled it and stretched the spring about a half inch. Works great now.
Later, in regards to the stick, I developed a drift which basically means, I wasn't in constant control of my yaw.
I disassemble it but only the top where the actual stick is. And rerouted the wire that was visible to the other direction as it sit in relationship to the stick. Basically, it was wraped counter clockwise, I changed it to clockwise. Yaw is back to normal.

It must somehow be only an XBOX issue because I had a PS4 and the designed HOTAS for it and never had one single issue for the year and a half I played ED on my PS4. It wasn't until I changed to an XBOX ONE X and its designed HOTAS that I had any issues.

I'm happy mine and would recommend it as a control input for Elite dangerous. I find it gives more control flexibility and precision.

I'm on my second, the first one developed the drift left yaw issue, and was replaced under warranty. Thrustmaster, asked me to cut off the cable of the first and send in a picture as evidence before sending out the replacement. Once I'd recieved the replacement I repaired the first one.

I'd approximate I've had about 1200 Hours of gameplay using the second, the Joystick creaks and has done from new, [cross fingers] but I've had no issues with it. [/cross fingers]

jGjPlVEEElvCJncT.large

I'm happy mine and would recommend it as a control input for Elite dangerous. I find it gives more control flexibility and precision.

I'm on my second, the first one developed the drift left yaw issue, and was replaced under warranty. Thrustmaster, asked me to cut off the cable of the first and send in a picture as evidence before sending out the replacement. Once I'd recieved the replacement I repaired the first one.

I'd approximate I've had about 1200 Hours of gameplay using the second, the Joystick creaks and has done from new, [cross fingers] but I've had no issues with it. [/cross fingers]

jGjPlVEEElvCJncT.large
Thanks for that mate. My second has just started the drift/twitch and I've had it over a year so I'll try this fix. If it doesn't work, I'll get another one...

Top Bottom