T.rex hunt in packs

1578330990968.png
Tyrannosaurus should hunt in packs of around 3-6 like in real life.

Attachments

• 1578330968782.png
    1578330968782.png
    752.1 KB · Views: 152
There is no confirmed pack hunting for any dinosaur at all. Some theropods have been found in groups like Deinonychus and Albertosaurus. Finding dinosaurs in one place alone is not evidence for them being social or hunting in packs (In the case of Deinonychus it was more likely a predator trap). It is unlikely Tyrannosauroids hunted in packs. But this goes for most dinosaurs. Pack hunting in crocs or birds, their closest living relatives isn't exactly common.

If there were any pack hunting dinosaurs I think it would most likely be the ones that we know ate prey many times their size. Like the Carcharodontosaurids that ate giant sauropods. But this is still all speculation.

For starters, my friend, that is a painting, not a photograph. Secondly, having multiple skeletons in the same dig site is NOT evidence of social behavior. Dig sites are basically graveyards, and unlike ours, they don’t have historical documentation, let alone genetic evidence. Pack hunting should only be for small carnivores, PERIOD.
I dont think it should be for just small carnivores. I have two threads that go over hunting you should give them a read. Also Large carnivores should hunt in breeding pairs for lack of a better team. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

That's not how the field of science works. If someone wants their hypothesis to be widely considered, then it's up to the person who proposed the hypothesis to support it. Just because there's no direct evidence to disprove it, that doesn't make it credible. If I went and said, "T-rex looked like a giant rainbow-colored fairy" then is that automatically credible just because there's no direct evidence to disprove it? It's the same in the court of law, it's up to the party who makes the accusation to prove that the accused is guilty in order to pass a conviction rather than the accused proving their own innocence.

That being said, I do think it is likely that at least some larger predators would have hunted in packs on occasion. Looking at modern predators today, we have examples of both large terrestrial and marine predators hunting in groups/packs. It's unlikely that there never existed any large carnivorous dinosaurs that would have hunted in packs at least on occasion. However, "valid until disproven" isn't a practical rule in science unless you can back up your hypothesis with reasonable points.

Last edited:
Following a strictly JP novel canon stand point, I think that some large dinosaurs should be inclined to hunt in packs. In "The Lost World" novel, the party was being actively hunted by two Carnotaurus. Now, there is no real world evidence for this, except for JP canon.

Unfortunately, JP canon and JW canon are not the same, and in the case of JW there is no evidence of large theropods hunting in groups. Additionally JW canon further discredits JP novel canon by completely altering Carnotaurus.

All the same, while the concept of Tyrannosaurs hunting in packs as hypothesized by Stephen Louis Brusatte is likely just that, a hypothesis based on multiple skeletons being found at one dig site.

while pack hunting itself is sth i really want to see ingame, i dont think T-rex is really a candidate for it. Raptors need it much more. maybe carnos aswell.

Following a strictly JP novel canon stand point, I think that some large dinosaurs should be inclined to hunt in packs. In "The Lost World" novel, the party was being actively hunted by two Carnotaurus. Now, there is no real world evidence for this, except for JP canon.

Unfortunately, JP canon and JW canon are not the same, and in the case of JW there is no evidence of large theropods hunting in groups. Additionally JW canon further discredits JP novel canon by completely altering Carnotaurus.

All the same, while the concept of Tyrannosaurs hunting in packs as hypothesized by Stephen Louis Brusatte is likely just that, a hypothesis based on multiple skeletons being found at one dig site.
A Pair is not a pack A pair like in TLW was only parents and a offspring and In reallife its more likely that T-rexed Hunted in pairs but not in a Pack and when its only a short time until Mating season is over

I think that one should be careful about the concept use of the word 'pack' as opposed to 'close proximity'. Very few (by comparisons to total count) medium to large carnivores alive today actually hunt collectively in very large family groups, outside of some of the apes and monkey families. Almost all the big cats, expecting lions of course, hunt solo, although their territories do cross from time to time and for mating. Small family groups are the exception, until the cubs are full grown and these usually exclude the male. The dog families, or 'dog-like' families tend to be an exception with wolves, dholes, hyenas etc. actively hunting in collaborative groups to bring down larger prey that they could not hope to tackle alone. However, where prey congregates, predators do too, and during certain seasons they are known to forego the usual solo attitudes and remain and hunt closer together. Yes sometimes squabbles ensue, but by and large the ygenerally 'co-hunt' in the same area and the same prey but not working 'together' as a pack.

In the bird realm, if we tie that thread to dinosaurs (or at least some of them), how many carnivorous birds hunt in packs? Birds of prey are solitary, scavengers are not, or rather scavengers tend to 'congregate' and 'tolerate' rather than hunt of course. Just how a carnivorous bird would hunt in the air in a 'pack' I am at a loss to visualise. Is this left over from dinosaurs heritage - unlikely, It is more so the product of practicality of in-flight or flight-to-ground hunting.

In the marine environment, discounting the whales which form large family groups and obviously actively work as predatory groups e.g. dolphins, sperm whales, orca etc., the other species can be very mixed and curious and some very different species (fish and octopus) have even been known to 'cooperate' which could be termed 'pack' hunting mentality but it is usually limited to one or two members rather than a large group. Sharks tend to congregate in areas of high prey and they hunt in close proximity to each other but not 'collaboratively' in the same way that Orca do for example. Smaller sharks such as reef sharks and white tips could be said to hunt in 'packs' in that they form large groups that hunt the same fish in an apparent collective, but they squabble over food - there is no apparent 'hierarchy' to the 'frenzy' so often seen - it is simply the practicality of hunting in an aquatic environment, perhaps.

Crocodiles also hunt in close proximity. Many individuals will laie in close proximity in the water near crossing points to grab the next prey to come by - again, they are not collaborating to achieve a goal but they do get close to each other and they do bicker over food. Size tends to dominate the victor in that fight. The same can probably be said to the relatively few and far between large ground lizards like the Komodo dragon. Smaller lizards tend to hunt smaller food and tend to eat it in one go, more or less.

I think what is fair to think about is not what we know about whether they had the mentality but what drives these actions: Smaller species tend to form family groups and collaborate - life is tough if your very small after all. We know that herbivores generally stick together - safety in numbers - but small predators can, and do, the same from time to time. Small predators when acting together can bring down larger prey - though this seems limited to the dog families and larger mammal family groups of mother and usually one or two offspring. Medium dinosaur carnivores (velociraptors) would probably be more capable and able acting alone - more like a tiger than a lion for example - but you couldn't rule out the lion theory for them either - a group of raptors could bring down a large herbivore BUT would they be able to protect it form a large carnivore that would inevetibly come by drawn by the smell? Probably not - but that may not be a nullifying factor all the same. Larger carnivores would almost certainly hunt alone - simply because they require so much more protein to survive that competing together would not yield the same value. However, they may end up in close hunting proximity if prey species were sufficiently abundant, but smapcially limited, to allow that to happen.

Ecology usually has more of the answers than our theories, but who knows for sure with dinosaurs? At the end of the day its a game and they are genetically modified, living in unusual environments, and can act in unusual ways so maybe we just think of what might be more fun than allegedly 'accurate' to real life.

There is male & female skins for the T.Rex and Velociraptor from the Return to Jurassic Park DLC. I am note suggesting that T.rex should be allowed to live as a mated pair. Just that they should have a social requirement similar to other large carnivores in the game.

Last edited:
YOU CAN DO THAT IN JW:E BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE SECRETS OF DR.WU DLC.
New genome modifications came with this DLC you can change dinosaur's social, stress, population and habitat requirements with this DLC. If you apply Group 2.0 genome Rex's Social requirement becomes : 4-4
no you cant. he is clearly speaking about hunting in packs, not just having more than 1 rex in an enclosure. packhunting is sth that is completly missing in this game

no you cant. he is clearly speaking about hunting in packs, not just having more than 1 rex in an enclosure. packhunting is sth that is completly missing in this game
Well you're right but when you apply Group 2.0. You're doing something more than just having more than 1 rex in an enclosure because they are actually being a pack. The missing thing is they are fighting alone which makes you think they are just hanging around alone. If you have the Henry Wu DLC try to release 4 Rexes with Group 2.0 modification and then let them escape from their enclosure you'll see that all the rexes will follow the Alpha one. The missing thing is they are hunting lonely as you said. It would be cool to see Apexes are hunting giant herbivores together but I really don't think they need to hunt together if their prey is medium or armored herbivores. In my opinion pack hunting would be better if they make it like this :
Apex predators: T-rex, Giga, Spino, Carcharo, Acro, Indom(It actually hunts them as solo) > Giant Herbivores only.
Medium carnivores: Metria, Carno, Majunga, Sucho, Bary, Alberto, Allo(I know its overpowered but its still not a large predator), Indoraptor > Medium and Armored Herbivores only.
Small carnivores: The rest of the carnivores that I didn't count > Pachycephalosaurid Herbivores and Iguanodon only.
Except for the Velociraptor and Deinonychus it would be very fascinating to see pack of them pouncing a hadrousaurid dino like how raptor did in JP:OG.

Top Bottom