T9 v Class Y brown dwarf

I've been thru this system a dozen times or more in my T9 and have not had a problem. This time I dropped from Hyperspace and then directly dropped from supercruise to normal space with bitch3n Betty yelling in my ear about being too close and overheating. Now I'm doing the slow escape from the star at ~190 and waiting for my heat to drop below 54%. For those of you who don't know what I'm waiting for, if you engage SC much above 54% heat on this cow, she'll burst into flames before she makes the jump.
Any tricks you other T9 jockeys know to lower temps or mitigate the rapid rise of thermal loads to get away from this star? (aside from dumping a heat sink which I don't have handy at this time)

Can't you just sit out the ride? She won't go boom directly when going over 100%, or does she? Its been a while since I flew a T9

So, I got up and went back to the galley and located myself a nearly frozen can of beer I'd picked up at Zeus' Kitchen in the HIP 105947 system. Went and sat down back in the cockpit wareing my cleanest white tank top and boxers. Took a long gulp of my beer and pressed the FSD engage button. I left one eye open so I could see the thermal load percent overage ... just in case I made it, I wanted to know, "ok, I can take her here without bursting into flames." number.
Well, I'm docked up! Mechanics are on board doing a level 2 diagnosis on all shipboard systems. OH, and that number? 174% with an average of 5% damage on most systems.

I've been thru this system a dozen times or more in my T9 and have not had a problem. This time I dropped from Hyperspace and then directly dropped from supercruise to normal space with bitch3n Betty yelling in my ear about being too close and overheating. Now I'm doing the slow escape from the star at ~190 and waiting for my heat to drop below 54%. For those of you who don't know what I'm waiting for, if you engage SC much above 54% heat on this cow, she'll burst into flames before she makes the jump.
Any tricks you other T9 jockeys know to lower temps or mitigate the rapid rise of thermal loads to get away from this star? (aside from dumping a heat sink which I don't have handy at this time)
Shut down all non essential systems so you only have FSD, Thrusters and Life Support that reduces the heat sources and slows the cooking process. You can if you wish shut down Life Support but remember it doesn't recharge until in a station.

Remember to switch everything back on once you get out especially sensors otherwise you can't get docking permission.

I had tried shutting down most of the systems, not quite to that extent and didn't notice any difference in the thermal accumulation time. Maybe it was just me ... meh.. maybe another time.

Engineer an 'A' Rated Armored PP (even just to lvl 1) and then apply Thermal spread experimental.
This will really help, and having a tougher PP is never a bad thing in a hauler.

Using an A rated powerplant one size down instead of a D rated one ist a good idea, too.
Or if you really want a cool ship and have power to spare, take the full size A-rated plant and put 5 levels of "low emission" mod + thermal spread experimental on it - slightly more power than an unengineered A plant the size down, but ridiculously low heat generation. (Heavier than the smaller plant, but probably not a big deal on non-exploration builds)

I zero throttle when I jump into any system in my T9, then throttle up when pointing away from the star. Her handeling is just too sluggish to go barreling in full bore. I do carry heat sinks.

just burn out of there, you may melt the plastic sofa covers and kill the ships cat, but you wont explode. Dock and repair.
I fly a T7, it over heats even if i just adjust the cockpit seat or flush the toilet. Let it burn.

It's not like repairs are expensive or money is hard to come by in this game.

I tested a Vette, Annie, T9, T7, Hauler, AspX and DBX for slingshotting. T7 is the best slingshotter. Oddly, the Vette seems to handle heat the best.
What do you mean by slingshotting? And the DBX is supposed to be a refrigerator with a FSD. I'm guessing the corvette is a freezer with a FSD

174 percent ? Thats NUTHIN...

My Python went to 394 ! Smoke. Warnings. Actual little flames on the dashboard ! It was several patches ago, so not sure if I could do that again.

Neutron jumping. The DBX is awesome, but it Neutron charges very poorly as it gets tossed around violently.

Yeah, the Corvette is heat resilient. Scooping is a breeze. Just wish it had a little more jump range.
I dont have trouble with my DBX being rotated at random directions, it's basically being in an interdiction without being a minigame and you can adjust speed. It also doesn't take long :)

Using coriolis, the best range I could get out of the corvette was 40 ly. The best range I could get out of a DBX was 70 ly.

Each neutron jump could get up to about 280 ly with the DBX doing the math

Last edited:
Top Bottom