Taking bets for the CGs tomorrow

Seems likely. Metagaming a bit, cargo CGs are the ones most affected by the introduction of Fleet Carriers both in terms of likely delivery rates and in terms of not being able to get in to the system at all, so calibrating all of that on something fairly low stakes seems a good idea.

(Colonia CGs are generally constrained by the actual supplies anyway, rather than how fast we can haul them, so I'd expect FCs not to make much difference out here, but it's been two years since the last one so I'm not going to be too picky if we also get one!)

So,
assuming we get CGs tomorrow (hopefully), what are your bets?

I say cargo CG to upgrade outpost refineries, bonus points if in Colonia.
Makes sense. We'll likely see the stories continue as background fluff for now, but the rule of 2 points towards refinery upgrades.

I'm just curious to see if they'll pick just 2 systems for deliveries (as per previous II/CGs). If so, how do they pick and what that means for the outcome.

I guess metal cargo delivery missions to some refinery outposts, which have a high amount of tritium in stores (2-300K+).
I can imagine a very high value of demand (to use fleet carrier capacities), with two main systems as targets, to upgrade 6-12 outposts in various systems throughout in the bubble.
And ofc Marlin's Reach outpost in Gandharvi can be a part of the storyline somehow.

Cargo to deliver new assets that don't look like Thargoid tech.

Combat zones fighting terrorists wearing bug suits.

This will be first CG since fleet carriers, which I suspect will swing the balance if it is a trading CG and best prices are found on the other side of the Bubble. Though with the limited parking space, I wonder how much easier FCs will actually make lucrative trading.. I guess as long as you can get within one jump of the CG system, it could still be a win!

I think the first CG will be competing cargo CGs to pick which company gets to upgrade the Tritium supply outposts. BUT, I'll place my bet on first CG next week, not this. With everything going down in the Empire, I think we get a little more story first.

Considering they mentioned two companies building stations, I'm guessing we deliver to their home stations, but the percentage between each will represent the percentage of which stations we get, roughly. Then a combat CG hunting down terrorists as CG number 2.

Seems likely. Metagaming a bit, cargo CGs are the ones most affected by the introduction of Fleet Carriers both in terms of likely delivery rates and in terms of not being able to get in to the system at all, so calibrating all of that on something fairly low stakes seems a good idea.

(Colonia CGs are generally constrained by the actual supplies anyway, rather than how fast we can haul them, so I'd expect FCs not to make much difference out here, but it's been two years since the last one so I'm not going to be too picky if we also get one!)

That got me thinking about how they can use the fleet carriers to make more emergent CG's... Something thing along the lines of a unique good only available within the bubble that is need in very large quantities in Colonia. It will result in convoys of fleet carriers hoping back and forth between the two with teams of loaders/unloaders each end.

But then typing it out thinking where's the fun it, ferrying goods back and forth from a station to fleet carrier and visa versa. Plus who stands to benefit what, who gets paid, who gets rewarded in the CG? I guess the best way to play it out is to work as a unit so you load and board the same carrier to unload at the end, at least it would take some coordination and communication.

That got me thinking about how they can use the fleet carriers to make more emergent CG's... Something thing along the lines of a unique good only available within the bubble that is need in very large quantities in Colonia. It will result in convoys of fleet carriers hoping back and forth between the two with teams of loaders/unloaders each end.
We had some of those once, only without the Fleet Carriers (but with rares, so you still really needed a team of loaders). It worked, sort of, but only because the reward was rather differently structured and could benefit an entire group including the loaders.

I guess if the price difference between the buy and sell ends was high enough there'd be room to pay everyone a fair price for their time.

I hope Odyssey introduces a few more ways for cgs to be measured. I'm frankly amazed bounties, bonds or cargo hailing has sustained them for so long.
There are other types - research, exploration, salvage - but I think they tend to mostly stick with trade+combat ones because:
a) those are the parts of the game which work best to start with (and at least with trade, have a fair bit of scope for varied difficulty levels)
b) those are way more popular than the other sorts

More community activities that aren't CGs - like station repairs - would also be interesting: the fixed "one week, N tiers, move the plot on a bit" model is useful for some things, but a more open-ended approach can give more room for player creativity.

Combat CG with the Federation protecting the victimised Marlinists?

Otherwise rescue CGs where we hand in escape pods from burning stations since almost everyone seems to have just picked up the passengers.

I hope Odyssey introduces a few more ways for cgs to be measured. I'm frankly amazed bounties, bonds or cargo hailing has sustained them for so long.
They need to make CG's with goals reachable for all players, including base game users, so...
I can recall only one CG where there was option to gather guardian stuff from planet surface, apart from scooping it from space, or pirating installations.
It was actually quite cool, although I suspect it required more work from the team.

They could, but I feel like FCs really shine over much shorter distances. For all the carriers making the Bubble-Colonia run, it's pretty tedious to jump a carrier forty times, and I don't think they'd get a ton of participation beyond the people currently willing to do it.

More community activities that aren't CGs - like station repairs - would also be interesting: the fixed "one week, N tiers, move the plot on a bit" model is useful for some things, but a more open-ended approach can give more room for player creativity.
Definitely. I like to bring up the WHN event here - people had a lot of fun with that, and it had quite high engagement. While there was technically a CG in there that kicked things off, it's the open-ended parts (save Palin! fight Thargoids! haul lots and lots of Beryllium!) people seem to remember.

But then typing it out thinking where's the fun it, ferrying goods back and forth from a station to fleet carrier and visa versa. Plus who stands to benefit what, who gets paid, who gets rewarded in the CG? I guess the best way to play it out is to work as a unit so you load and board the same carrier to unload at the end, at least it would take some coordination and communication.
Well, the Carriers could just load and unload themselves, but still allow access to land, so people don't have to do the tedious jumping themselves. That's how I'd see it working.

They need to make CG's with goals reachable for all players, including base game users, so...
I can recall only one CG where there was option to gather guardian stuff from planet surface, apart from scooping it from space, or pirating installations.
It was actually quite cool, although I suspect it required more work from the team.
Definitely.

But perhaps then they need to tie in different activities to the same goal. Base players deliver cargo but Odyssey players can do something that's not that...

I don't know. Seems really bleh if cgs will forever be restricted to base game, even if the game goes on to have 8 more expansions...

Definitely. I like to bring up the WHN event here - people had a lot of fun with that, and it had quite high engagement. While there was technically a CG in there that kicked things off, it's the open-ended parts (save Palin! fight Thargoids! haul lots and lots of Beryllium!) people seem to remember.
There was also the bit that caused lots of discussions where the Federation and Empire had to haul stuff a few 10s of Ls while the Alliance station was several hundred thousand Ls away.
But yes after that was hauling load after load of Beryllium thousands of light years up hill both ways.

Top Bottom