Taking heat damage : Thermal Throttle :(

I was streaming EDO last night and noticed that my PC was hitting a thermal throttle (set at 80c) whilst playing EDO Patch 4 both on CPU and GPU. Stats from Afterburner. No other game I have pushes my computer this hard (including MS Flight Simulator). This also affects my streaming as (due to the throttle) Streamlabs starts to stutter during those parts of the game, meaning I can't stream it smoothly either regardless of what EDO is going.

My PC spec

GTX 1070, i7-8700, 16 GB Ram, SSD (all standard air-cool case)

I wonder if given the number of systems out there someone is going to fry their computer due to playing EDO, particularly as we're now in summer/ambient temps are high and not everyone may have cleaned out dust/optimised their cooling. - Not really a complaint, just an observation. My PC is getting too hot... and it's only EDO that does this. The fan speeds are really audible when playing and I can feel hot air blowing on my feet (PC is under the desk) - don't have this on any other game. FPS in settlements was dreadful... no real improvement for me in Patch 4, though concourses seemed a bit better (I hit 40 for the first time). My FPS is sync'd to 60 for the monitor.

On the plus side - last night I noticed "space" looked noticeably better, the game didn't crash once and I completed two missions. Instancing was rock solid (far better than horizons has ever been).

However, jumping back into Horizons to get the stats below ... the smoothness and general "togetherness" of that version of the game is striking when compared to EDO right now.

Space (Odyssey)

GTX 1070 70c 55% 4840MB
Fan Speed 1970
i7-8700 69c 29% 8774MB
FPS 60

Settlement (Odyssey)

GTX 1070 79c 85% 7222MB
Fan Speed 2965
i7-8700 79c 38% 8774MB
FPS 19

For comparison.... Horizons

Space (Horizons)

GTX 1070 58c 35% 3492MB
Fan Speed 622
i7-8700 41c 16% 6824MB
FPS 60

Surface base (Horizons)
GTX 1070 68c 39% 3492MB
Fan Speed 1120
i7-8700 54c 19% 6824MB
FPS 60

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
My 2080ti runs at about 80c, modern Nvidia cards should be safe up to about 95c so i wouldn't worry about it, obviously the game performance should be better but the temps are not the games fault, that's just the card running up to its thermal limit like it's supposed to when being pushed hard.

GPU overclocking is often hardly worth it (unless you seriously liquid cool it), and the risk of frying a graphics card is slim to none if you remember to vacuum clean it. They have way more temp sensors than a spaceship in 3307 and they also have clever software that pulls the brake before flames appear.

My 2080 does about 75 degrees, but that is a special cooled one. What's really strange is even my CPU (i7-7700) is very hot (about 70 degrees). And that's a 65W cpu with a 250W cooling block on top.

Since everything is also airflow dependent and it's darn hot at the moment here (30C+) that may be a factor too. But I have never before heard any of my fans sounding like a jet fighter about to lift off in any game :)

I use the OBS Studio software to stream EDO. My PC: AMD Radeon RX 570, Ryzen 7, 16GB Ram, SSD (processor is liquid cooled).
So far I have not experienced any heat warning / throttling during any of my streams. I had more heat problems in the Alpha.
But I will observe this more closely in the near future.

Last edited:
My PC is getting too hot... and it's only EDO that does this.
Unless you're throttling other games with vsync, they're all pushing hard, the difference is which component is being pushed. If you have a thermal problem on your CPU but most games bottleneck on your GPU you won't notice a problem, but if a different game bottlenecks on your CPU then it'll cook.

Try testing your components independently to see which has the thermal problem. I'd recommend prime95 on high heat to test the CPU, furmark to test the GPU. Once you know which is the problem you can fix it. Computers shouldn't melt down no matter how hard software tries to push them.

Whilst you can fairly blame the game for taking too much considering what it's doing if a computer overheats itself due to insufficient protection then that's the computer's fault. As has been said something's always going to push it to its limits.

To be clear, my PC isn't overheating. It's (sensibly) throttling back when it hits a maximum temp range when playing EDO (specifically around settlements) whilst simultaneously streaming. Neither CPU or GPU temps go above 80 c.

I do clean it out on a monthly basis to ensure it's free from dust etc. Maybe my PC simply isn't up the job of doing both at the moment until EDO receives further optimisations - but EDO is the only game I have that exhibits this behaviour.

All my games are sync'd at 60 FPS via Nvidia Control Panel as I see no point pushing further when my monitors can't cope with it.

Cheers,

Drew.

Mine is a 2080ti FTW 3 so it's built for overclocking and has a giant cooler on it but it will do the same as any other graphics card and push up to whatever it's thermal limit is set to, if that means iin some games it hits 400fps then it will, if in other games it's bottlenecked by the CPU then it wont hit it's temp target.

I have a V-sync monitor than can do 165hz but my card can't do that in EO at 1440p at ultra, although it can hold 90fps pretty much everywhere that does mean it hits it's temp limit a lot.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQsOzV_TLI

What's really weird is that I'm running a sub par GPU Radeon RX 560 4Gb and I'm getting very comparable FPS to many other people right now, perfectly locked 60 (only using a 60Hz TV anyway) in space and anywhere from 35-17 in settlements.. Concourses last night started out improved at around 33 then dipped back down to 16ish as the time went on.

I hope this means some positives for you guys with higher end stuff because your setups should be coming in wayyyy better than mine. So once they find what it is, I think your frames should skyrocket and your heat should decrease.

Yeah, that's the reason i'm limiting things more than my pc should take, it's not currently overheating (however it's running hotter than usual), but i remember horizons fried my old card back then when it was released, and i don't want to risk it again!
I don't know what Cobra engine is doing to do that.

Last edited:
my PC was hitting a thermal throttle (set at 80c) whilst playing EDO Patch 4 both on CPU and GPU.
My GPU starts to melt when I start EDO, the temperature rises from 40 ° C to 75 ° C in about 5 minutes and when the room temperature is above 35 ° C, like yesterday, I'm really scared for my card, and a replacement is out of sight during this time of GPU deficiency. That's why I prefer not to play Odyssey. But in spirit I am with all the players who sacrifice their cards for the greater good™

I did some tests yesterday because my GPU (1060) was making a lot of noise as well. Just flew about 10k LS away from the main star and dropped out of SC (so there's absolutely nothing going on) and put the graphics back on the High preset.

Capped at 120 FPS: Horizons 40% GPU / OD 80% GPU
Capped at 60 FPS: Horizons 30% GPU / OD 40% GPU

Also uncapped the FPS for poops and giggles and Horizons went up to 300 FPS. Odyssey stalled out at 150 FPS.

I'm no professional, but that just tells me there's something seriously wrong right now (other than the gamma/contrast and culling issues detailed in those two forum posts). Patch 3 and 4 have only made the FPS slightly worse for me as well.

After seeing this thread I thought I would run a simple test to see If I could see Odyssey also giving me higher temps. So I ran 2 games for 30mins each in a single spot and not moving from that spot. Allowing a 20min cool down period for my system to reach idle temps again before running the 2nd game. I used F1 2020 1st and then ran Odyssey after.

C83FC2437C3E5B112ADA881E3135E107C267EEAE

E2BE553F22207FB91568BC75332A9028098A9663

As you can see from the screenshots and MSI afterburner in the top left there pretty much the same Temps and it's showing Odyssey to be 1degree cooler on GPU, but this is most likely down to the % of error from the sensors themselves. You can also see the fans speeds are pretty much matched to each other on both test 63/64%.

I'm not saying that your not having Issues because something is not right, but if you look at the stats you posted

GTX 1070 79c 85% 7222MB
Fan Speed 2965
i7-8700 79c 38% 8774MB
FPS 19

Surface base (Horizons)
GTX 1070 68c 39% 3492MB
Fan Speed 1120
i7-8700 54c 19% 6824MB
FPS 60
The Usage percentages are a lot higher in Odyssey than Horizons so your gonna see a hike up in temps, also have you ever replaced the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU coolers might be a sign you need to, as you should not be thermal throttling at 38% on the CPU.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Last edited:
After seeing this thread I thought I would run a simple test to see If I could see Odyssey also giving me higher temps. So I ran 2 games for 30mins each in a single spot and not moving from that spot. Allowing a 20min cool down period for my system to reach idle temps again before running the 2nd game. I used F1 2020 1st and then ran Odyssey after.

C83FC2437C3E5B112ADA881E3135E107C267EEAE

E2BE553F22207FB91568BC75332A9028098A9663

As you can see from the screenshots and MSI afterburner in the top left there pretty much the same Temps and it's showing Odyssey to be 1degree cooler on GPU, but this is most likely down to the % of error from the sensors themselves.

I'm not saying that your not having Issues, but if you look at the stats you posted

The Usage percentages are a lot higher in Odyssey than Horizons so your gonna see a hike up in temps, also have you ever replaced the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU coolers might be a sign you need to, as you should not be thermal throttling at 38% on the CPU.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks, interesting comparison. I think that 38% is a bit of a red herring as the CPU had dropped back by that point. Most of the time it was above 80% with Odyssey at Settlements. Thermal paste on both is about 6 months old at present. I might redo it, but since this behaviour is only with EDO, I don't think that's the issue.

Perhaps I'm just not playing heavy duty games (I typically muck about with NMS, KSP, Star Trek bridge crew, Homeworld, Star Wars Squadrons and World of Warships), but I do have MS Flight Simulator (which, I think ought to give my PC a good kicking).... but all is good.

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
I have not seen my CPU go as high as 80% but I don't run OBS or the like in the background, the most I have seen is 65% roughly. Still I have not seen temps higher than 60c, for comparison i'm running a 5930k overclocked to 4Ghz on a Noctua D15. I also own Flight sim but due to CPU limitations I have to FPS lock it at 60fps otherwise it just becomes a CPU bottleneck and run it on medium settings with a few custom changes. Never really took much notice of what the temps were doing as was more concerned with actually getting it playable.

To be clear, my PC isn't overheating. It's (sensibly) throttling back when it hits a maximum temp range when playing EDO
That's generally what's meant by overheating today, when it has to throttle to avoid damage. It's a symptom of a problem with your build, not a problem with the software - there's something wrong with the cooling as it shouldn't be possible for software to do this to you even if it's deliberately trying. If you can identify which component has faulty cooling you can fix it, like via the benchmark tools I posted above. If it's the GPU throttling it probably just needs dusted since GPU manufacturers select appropriate heatsinks/fans for their hardware. If it's the CPU throttling and cleaning the heatsink doesn't fix it, you might need a different heatsink or to reinstall it.

Top Bottom