Taking Heat Damage

Can someone baby step me through heat generation in combat? ( And indeed how close to max you can safely run your reactor )

I've theory crafted a few ships but I've no idea if they'll work. I know in the past I've been subject to receiving heat damage for no apparent reason and I would like to know how and why that happens and the best ways to counter it ( other than a heat sink which is a remedy not a cure )

When I look at mods on ships they often increase thermal loading and I know it has to have an effect, How do I know, when building a ship, what's going to be too much?

Just as an example I wanted to see if a fast and high ( for what it is ) dps sidewinder was possible.

Bitey

Can someone baby step me through heat generation in combat? ( And indeed how close to max you can safely run your reactor )

I've theory crafted a few ships but I've no idea if they'll work. I know in the past I've been subject to receiving heat damage for no apparent reason and I would like to know how and why that happens and the best ways to counter it ( other than a heat sink which is a remedy not a cure )

When I look at mods on ships they often increase thermal loading and I know it has to have an effect, How do I know, when building a ship, what's going to be too much?

Just as an example I wanted to see if a fast and high ( for what it is ) dps sidewinder was possible.

Bitey
If you use Beam Lasers, putting 'Thermal Vent' on decreases your heat if you and when you are shooting at someone.

Sorry I've misread that - I thought thermal vent was a weapon mod. My bad again - it's a special effect gained when modding weapons.
It is a weapon mod that throws the heat from your laser at your enemy and reduces overall heat to your ship. Astro uses it on his Cucumber Corvette

Can someone baby step me through heat generation in combat?

Basically it's heat capacity, dissipation rate (both functions of the ship itself), and the efficiency of the power plant vs. standing power consumption and more active thermal loads (accelerating with thrusters, firing weapons [which have heat load that scales inversely with current WEP cap], etc).

There has been much experimentation and documentation by the player base on this points, but knowing the exact details is less useful than getting enough hands on experience to develop an intuitive grasp.

( And indeed how close to max you can safely run your reactor )

All the way, typically. Unless you are using an overcharged power plant, which allows both more total load while simultaneously reducing thermal efficiency.

Experience, mostly. Again, you can run the figures, but facts can be misleading if inappropriately applied.

In general, if the ship has a high thermal capacity and disipation rate for it's size, you won't have issues unless you are running a fairly outlandish setup. If it's known to be borderline on heat, you may have to be more conservative.

If you use an armored powerplant and make it a hull focused setup, absolutely.

That's awesome, thanks Morbad. Your comments and the article by Fretnox helps me understand it better. Now with a basic understanding I'll have a better idea of what's going wrong if I get terrible overheating on a specific build.

I know when the last batch of heat changes came in, it became the 'meta' before being nerfed again soon afterwards.

But I am wondering, If you loaded up a ship with a resonable amount of hardpoints, say a Python, Chieftain of Anaconda, with Maaahn heat beams, engineered to the max for extra heat damage, would it be an effective set up (for both PvP and/or PvE)?

I want a badge that says, "I listen to Morbad". Uprade, field test, observe results. I run a hot build right on the edge where I can endure several combat sessions, using no heat sinks and take 1-2% module damage due to heat. Module malfunctions start at around 20% damage?

I want a badge that says, "I listen to Morbad". Uprade, field test, observe results. I run a hot build right on the edge where I can endure several combat sessions, using no heat sinks and take 1-2% module damage due to heat. Module malfunctions start at around 20% damage?
I'll take that badge, too (y)

Top Bottom