Tell us your favorite personal 'I blowed up' story.

I was on Deciat for the second time ever, early in the game, flying a C3 I was using as a parts mule. I didn't really know much as I spent two weeks learning how to fly. So I engineer a few internals, etc. I lift off and decide to trial the new mods, so I fly out over the landscape at top speed.

Humming along the surface, I managed to accidentally deploy my hardpoints.

My poor mule, carrying weapons and shield boosters and internals for other ships, went dead. No power. I had no idea what was going on. Silence, and no knowledge of how to 'restart' my ship.

It took a good minute and a half. First I started to drift forward and the down. Complete panic sets in. I hit Deciat nose first, and bounced into a tumble. Tumbled on the ground for what seemed like 30 seconds, and with one last bounce, thrown up and away in a furious high speed forward spin, I blowed up absolutely confused.

All my priorities were set to 1. :)

Last edited:
I was on Deciat for the second time ever, early in the game, flying a C3 I was using as a parts mule. I didn't really know much as I spent two weeks learning how to fly. So I engineer a few internals, etc. I lift off and decide to trial the new mods, so I fly out over the landscape at top speed.

Humming along the surface, I managed to accidentally deploy my hardpoints.

My poor mule, carrying weapons and shield boosters and internals for other ships, went dead. No power. I had no idea what was going on. Silence, and no knowledge of how to 'restart' my ship.

It took a good minute and a half. First I started to drift forward and the down. Complete panic sets in. I hit Deciat nose first, and bounced into a tumble. Tumbled on the ground for what seemed like 30 seconds, and with one last bounce, thrown up and away in a furious high speed forward spin, I blowed up absolutely confused.

All my priorities were set to 1. :)
Accidently pressing the boost button in my eagle inside the station. Poor thing didn't know what hit it.

Early doors i impacted a high g planet at an exceedingly fast speed, trying again and again my upward thursters, wondering if my controller was malfuntioning....

Again, early on i found my first neutron star...

Me: “Wow look at THIS kids!!”
Kids: “FLY THROUGH IT!!”
Me: “I will fly through the blue shiney bit, but not the middle, it looks a bit dangerous.....”

Jumping into a system seeing the white dwarf - not stopping and then seeing my temperature rise and rise, get away (just) turn around for.a screenshot crash into the same star and blow up 😄

When I bought my first Clipper, I took it out for a run in the nearby res, a few upgrades, but not a rated. Turned out the res was dark at the time, so I decided to see what range my ship lights had:

Activate lights
Boost
Scream
Bang
Rebuy

Nb. Ship lights have a very short range.

Last edited:
I was under the influence of both Lavian brandy and onionhead that night, undocked and promptly exploded against the station's wall while making my way to the toaster. As someone who doesn’t have a car irl, I fully understood the importance to not drink and drive. : ) I'm very confident in my piloting skills and it happened so fast lol

Oh dear, there's so many. I could post the video of me totally underestimating (due to vast alchohol consumption) how difficult it is to pull off an FA Off boost out of a station in a ship with no shields (having never tried FA Off flying before). I could recount the story of how, after MANY adventures along the way I discovered that an Eagle won't fit through the entrance to a Thargoid base and, in my annoyance, decided if I couldn't fit ALL of the Eagle through the door, perhaps, if I flew at it fast enough, I could fit SOME of it through the door. But today I'll go with my first team assault on the Teide in-game mountain climb race.

So, myself and my Buckyball teammate had made really good time in our assault on the massive mountain. My teammate had made it up onto the flat finish area at the top and the crowds were waiting for me, not far behind, to arrive and claim a winning time. I launched up over the final lip of the mountain top and decided to show off by doing a forward roll in the SRV up onto the plateau. Alas I misjudged it, landed on the roof and blew up before I could grab the vital screenshot! [haha]

On the way to my first visit to Colonia (and then to Sag A*) many moons ago, I finally arrived at Sacaqwea Space Port after hundreds and hundreds of jumps (no 20k plotter back then, and no Guardian FSD boost, the thing jumped barely more than 30ly, for I had taken a whole lot of 'essential' things like collector limpets and such with me that I later found out to be completely useless) and decided to stretch my legs a bit by driving around the station in the SRV. Unfortunately, I managed to trespass a landing pad somehow and a skimmer appeared, firing at me. And I was wanted. Managed to escape somehow and return to the docked Conda, just to find out I was temporarily safe, but still wanted. I had my very first Elite SLF pilot with me, but couldn't deactivate her because that fine starport has no crew lounge. Sat there for a while, planning my escape. Finally, I decided to hiwake out in a bravado attempt, hoping the station didn't scan me or I would at least manage to survive. Well, that failed miserably (remember the falling skimmers in Merope?) and I melted in seconds. Well, I got the Conda back, bounties cleared, but the SLF pilot had to face it. It was a sad & silent journey onward for quite some time. Noob for a reason :D

O7,
[noob]

On the way to my first visit to Colonia (and then to Sag A*) many moons ago, I finally arrived at Sacaqwea Space Port after hundreds and hundreds of jumps (no 20k plotter back then, and no Guardian FSD boost, the thing jumped barely more than 30ly, for I had taken a whole lot of 'essential' things like collector limpets and such with me that I later found out to be completely useless) and decided to stretch my legs a bit by driving around the station in the SRV. Unfortunately, I managed to trespass a landing pad somehow and a skimmer appeared, firing at me. And I was wanted. Managed to escape somehow and return to the docked Conda, just to find out I was temporarily safe, but still wanted. I had my very first Elite SLF pilot with me, but couldn't deactivate her because that fine starport has no crew lounge. Sat there for a while, planning my escape. Finally, I decided to hiwake out in a bravado attempt, hoping the station didn't scan me or I would at least manage to survive. Well, that failed miserably (remember the falling skimmers in Merope?) and I melted in seconds. Well, I got the Conda back, bounties cleared, but the SLF pilot had to face it. It was a sad & silent journey onward for quite some time. Noob for a reason :D

O7,
[noob]
Oh man, I've been there ... wanted after SRV pad loitering and then finding yourself in a wanted ship on the pad and knowing that as soon as you launch you're gonna be toast! [where is it]

Edit: of course the answer (I now realise) is to deploy another SRV, high tail it about 5km away from the base and then recall your ship.

Last edited:
In my paper-thin explo build with no weapons, heading back to the bubble with a computer stuffed full of carto data, I encountered a non-human USS threat level 8. Decided to drop in on the basis that I was not in danger as I was not a threat. Never did get to see what those thargoids looked like ... but I did get another good look at the rebuy screen. :-D

Racing to Dock at a station cos I badly needed a poo (when you gotta go, you gotta go). Got there and told Astra to Dock. It was only when I was sitting on the throne that I realised that I hadn't switched the Mike off.

It picked up my TV noise, promptly undocked and sat in the station. Cue the rebuy screen

One of my facepalm moments happened during a burning station scenario:

I had rescued a number of passengers and decided to collect things from inside the station instead. Switched out a few internals and back I went.

So I release some limpets, open my cargo hatch, and then try to find some heatsinks as I'm beginning to get hot.

They're not on any firing mode.

I go to the side panel, flustered, trying to get heatsinks set to a fire button, and before I can even get to the right bit: "Eject! Eject!" Boom! -> Rebuy screen.

:D

o7

I remember once seemingly achieving a cease fire in a CZ when accidentally hitting one of my 'allies'. It was only the second time I'd been in a CZ, so combat skills weren't quite there yet so I'd still to learn proper trigger discipline.

Lesson learned very quickly when every ship decided to stop what they were doing and target me in my unengineered Courier, which with it's novice ranked pilot was obviously by now the most dangerous thing there and I just got missile spammed into a paste.

Only milk drinkers get blown up. I've never been blown up.
Do I at least count as a full fat milk drinker by merit of being blown up by everything in a CZ?

I crashed into a neutron star once. It blew up. It just could not contain my awesomeness. It is now a black hole.

Last edited:
I crashed into a neutron star once. It blew up. It just could not contain my awesomeness. It is now a black hole.
And as The Duck withdrew from the event horizon ... it's youthfulness was spaghettified ... and Old Duck emerged from the carnage?

Took a 'famous explorer' to a 'High g world'.
25MCr for 6000ly, something like that. Sounds easy, put a first class cabin in my aspx and started jumping.
Now, even with 60ly jumprange that takes a while... so I got myself a nice bottle of red wine as company.
By the time I was there the bottle was almost empty, and I was pretty tired. So I though to myself: "I'll just land down there an then log off"

Yeah

At about 2km over ground I rembered the whole 'High G' thing, I think it was around 9g, by that time I was falling faster then any rock. I pulled the nose up and boosted, that safed me...

I crashed rear first in the ground, shield went down, tumbling around like a well thrown dice. I endet with 16% hull lying on my roof. Oh, and the 'famous explorer' decidet to try his luck on his own.

So after I managed to turn my ship up again I though 'I'll have to be super carefully while starting'.
Carefully hovered up, pulled the nose up, boosted and soared to the sky. Aligned to my target, fired up the FSD. Checked my height... wait ...isn't this... isn't this number dropping? Yes, it is. I crashed back down before I could boost again, this time the impact gave an immediate rebuy

And on that night I learned: Don't try to land on a high g world while drunk.

Remember back at a CG which was quite popular i came in to land at the station when i began to get nudged/rammed by a well known boy magician .. unable dock i attempted a 180 and hit full power , however in my moment of panic i forgot that the landing gear was still down and i was going nowhere fast , i was in my lil courier and the shields had already cracked by this stage. Quickly putting the landing gear away i hit boost as my aggressor approached again at speed , was lined up as good as id hoped and boosted straight into the station wall and a rebuy awaited ... cursing my stupidity while i paid for my ship and modules.

I was on Deciat
That place is evil. My latest rebuy was claimed becuase that place. Here we go.

"Deciat Depression"
Before I finally made to Colonia I needed some module slightly engineered. Luckily modules for iClipper fitted into Krait so in it I went to Deciat. When glide finished I realized I overshot slightly so I'll just do half barrel and be ok. So, you know that land depression next to actual base? I was over it and made half-barrel there. Downward. Bottom turned out to be closer than I expected. One second I was bouncing off rocks, the next I was 220 LYs away from Deciat, picking modules for rebuy.

I believe I beat few speed records on my "way back".

"Wait, are those... panties?"
Young and stupid I was back then. Decided to give iSlave run a go. Read every guide, watched every video, saw every discussion so I was ready. Ship is proper, heatsinks loaded and keybound. Silent running set, all ready to go. Found purchase location (bit far away), bought a load and off we go. Ofc, I got pirate tail but being good at evaiding I was able to jump away before he started his game. I was jumping so fast he lagged behind. And I was so focused on my target that I forgot about him. So, one jump before target sytem I decided to test how long I can manage on silent running before needing to heat sink. I dropped SC, engaged SR and been watching temperature rising and somewhat terrified that my shields went down.

Next thing looked probably like this - pirate finally cought up with me, saw I'm out of SC so he drops on me. When he done that he saw nice, hot and naked AspX. It was too much for famished pirate so he erupted his cannons, finishing me in one salvo.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature"
It was a bug. Again - pirate related. I was hauling some mission cargo and as usual, pirate spawned. No big deal, I can avoid them and now I'm not stopping before I reach my target system. Pirates usually try to pull me out while I'm decelerating but this one was amazingly incompetent. I managed to cover whole route, decelerate and drop at station. This usually breaks pirate activity but I believe that memo didn't reach my tail.

So, be me, 5 km from mailslot, landing permission granted, trying to align with entrance as I arrived from side. Still far away enough so obvious speeding. Next I hear SC drop sound (W..?), immediate pirate comm (T..??) and the most "hilarious" thing - pirate materialize (???, without the F, simply because things resolved too fast to vocalize it) literally 5m in front of me. Full speed rammed him, he blows out, station declares murder, open fire...

Hello rebuy screen, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again...

I was staring at rebuy screen trying to compute what just had happened. I wasn't angry, more like amazed. Luckily Support was kind enough to refund my ship loss and hauled cargo value loss as they agreed with my claim it was rather unusual and not intended situation.

Top Bottom