Temperature Issues for missions.

So I've been experiencing issues with the temperatures being too hot or cold on planets when trying to disembark to complete a mission. I contacted the support team and they said to offer up any suggestions I had here. So I have a couple of ideas that I think could help this issue:
1. Allow us to see what temperature the planets will be at during different times of solar/planetary rotation on the mission accept/detail screen.
2. Let us see what our suits min&max comfortable temperatures are on the loadout/engineer/buy screens.
3. This is a more intensive solution. Don't allow missions to be created for planets whose active temperature is unsafe, or accepted for those that will be unsafe before arrival or give a warning. "Warning: Planetary Temperature may be unsafe upon arrival."

Side note I have seen mention from others in the community of getting missions on planets that will never allow disembarkation (those that are tidally locked), those planets should be blacklisted from ever being the target of any Odyssey Mission.

I agree they at the least should be blacklisted. However as another suggestion this could open up the possibility of another type of settlement, one that is entirely underground (maybe with domes at the surface but just cosmetic). You could land like a station and the ship would be taken down and then you disembark and you have an area that has caverns connecting different facilities and such. Could also have another type of hanger that allows you to drive in with your SRV then disembark. Would make for interesting scenery as well as if your planning on illegal activity you would have to put more thought into it as it would be harder to leave.

Just to be clear I don't mean a concourse area, I mean just like settlements now, but probably a little smaller and between the doors of different buildings would be a cave tunnel system.

You could land like a station and the ship would be taken down and then you disembark and you have an area that has caverns connecting different facilities and such. Could also have another type of hanger that allows you to drive in with your SRV then disembark. Would make for interesting scenery as well as if your planning on illegal activity you would have to put more thought into it as it would be harder to leave.
That's a great idea! Especially love the SRV hanger idea.

Thinking about possible solutions, you quickly find out that it can get pretty difficult to decide how to approach this.

- That things can happen anywhere (ships crashing etc) seems only logical to me. So having missions spawn only in 'safe' locations is convenient but it isn't very realistic.

- Having missions spawn on non-tidally locked planets would introduce the problem that you might land on the dark side of a body and then rotate into unsafe conditions, which would force you to abort a mission half way through as temperatures change into dangerous ranges.

- Introducing a suit protection mechanism against extreme temperatures sounds like a plausible solution. You could introduce separate protection units against heat or cold. Maybe choose between one or the other before disembarking. Perhaps fuel these protection units as well?

- Missions should, at the very least, make mention of any environmental dangers.

- Suits should mention in which environmental conditions they are usable.

So before a definite solution is in place, I suggest simply not spawning any missions in unsafe locations, or to ignore temperatures when disembarking.

Top Bottom