Terminal Cancer Diagnosis

Hey all,

I'm Paul, CMDR Vernon in game. I've been CMDR Vernon since 1984 when I was 10.

I've been given approximately 12 months to live. I'm based in the UK. UPDATE: 6 months to live based on new tumours popping up on my spine recently...)

On the 8th November I received the news that my cancer had returned and it is terminal.

I've always played independently, got about 3 hours in multicrew and never flown in a wing. I've never mined.

I'm currently in hospital after having an undiagnosed soft tumour removed from my upper spine on the 12th November and I also have the terminal bone tumours on my ribs and lower spine and mets in my lungs.

I'll be unreliably on and off the game over the coming months but I'd like to explore parts of the game I've never bothered with too much if I can and for that I need the community to help.

My main role has always been an explorer. I play in Odyssey and am ELITE 2 explorer, cataloguer, broker, expert defenceless ranks.

I've never gone in for the grind and I don't want to now, what I have in game, I've earnt the long way round.

I currently fly a Krait Phantom, armed and engineered with a respectible 53Ly range. I'm not aiming to make billions or any of that, just looking for semi reliable players that might want to team up once in a while in an evening to help me explore more of the game. This might be a few weeks away at least at the moment!

Other ships I have are from memory, a python, dbx, dolphin, orca, aspx, a collection of vipers and eagles and my old Sidewinder.

My machine is still struggling with fps on Odyssey in settlements so not fussed about that side of things at the moment. I just want to see what else I've been missing. I love Elite the way I play it but all the same I want to explore more of the games before my time is up.

Before my terminal diagnosis, this was my story.

UPDATE: The type of Cancer I have is Mesenchymal Chondrosarcoma. It's rare but this image sums up what it is and what it does and is like...

FB_IMG_1610225149047.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul. I was really moved by your story. I may not be the best match, as I dont have masses of experience with wing missions in ED, but would be happy to wing up some time (also UK), or be part of a larger group. All the very best with the treatment - our thoughts are with you!

Damn...I'm sorry Paul

Add me up, Cmdr "Piglet Does PC" on PC, whatever you feel up to doin, bit of combat, messing around in SRVs..friendly PvP with others, even if you just wanna sit in the passangers seat and see how badly I fly compared to the others, would be a privilege to have you along mate. Whenever I'm available and you are you can send us a msg (y)

Last edited:
CMDR Diocletian Valerius

Mainly PvE, exploring, hauling. Would love to go along with you some time. I'm in the US, but sometimes I stay up late. o7 sir.

I play every day, on PC at all times of the day (mostly UK afternoons & evenings) usually in Open on PC, the Squadron I'm in is a small, loose collection of largely independent Cmdrs who help each other out, if you're looking for a bit of a safety net while you try something new or just some company by all means send me a PM for my Cmdr name..

This weekend we're going to try shooting at Thargoids for the first time, none of us know what we're doing & plan to just have some fun & probably see the rebuy screen a lot, you're welcome to join us :)

Winging up is really really fun when it works with no instancing issues.
It helps to have voice comms, especially in combat. Timing is often of the essence, especially when fighting serious foe. And chatting with other like minded people about one's favorite game is always fun.

If your ships are not engineered specifically for Thargoid combat, there is a high likelihood you will be toast. So multicrew would be a good option. I am going to link the Antixeno Initiative Discord server link in a subsequent post. They often have activities open to everyone and you may be able to multicrew for fun. Should you wish to try fighting in your own ship you will have to engineer it specifically for AX. The peeps at AXI can give you great builds. The main weapon you need for Thargoid Interceptors is the gauss cannon, which you obtain by going to a Guardian site that gives weapon blueprints. The Guardian sites are pretty cool to visit if you have not yet.

The New Pilot Initiative also has events that introduce Commanders to all different aspects of the game like mining, pvp etc. Will also link.

I realize you are an explorer at heart, but I thought I would mention the above just in case you wanted to try something really different.

If you need credits, doing cz wing missions with experienced combat pilots could be fun for you and you would probably not have to engineer hardly anything. However, I would have your wingmates check out your loadout for max survivability. In such a scenario, you would not be shooting as much as practicing situational awareness and following your wingmates closely. Which I personally find fun as well.

regards,
:)

Just to give you an idea of what sort of engineering is required.... here is a link to an AX Phantom build. https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...297932474000&usg=AOvVaw0jYELXF-fK3aDm496pWZvE

Note that this build is somewhat difficult to use because the Phantom is not ideal for Interceptor hunting. The best for beginners would be a Krait mk2 or a Chieftain.

Last edited:
God, that's a depressing read in the morning... Very sorry for your diagnosis.
CMDR name's like my forum name, just throw me an invite and I might be up for some shenanigans.

Me2 Paul.
Cmdr dragsham
Uk based casual hellraiser.
Small group based in Hodur (yup that big fella in game of thrones) doing anti xeno, piracy, smuggling, pvp, friendly non lethal duels too which go alongway to revealing pilot n ships shortcomings.
We would be happy to have you aboard.

Black Hand of Orion
Hodur

Cmdr dragsham

CMDR Anterius
Sorry to hear that my friend i live in the UK in wales i am on almost every day i dont have an engineered ship for combat i normaly do missions out of robigo .
i have a Krait mk2 for ground clearance of settlements and crash sites but if you need company i think i would like to follow you on a wing mission or two be it trading or combat.
let me know.
o7 Commander

Heya Paul, send me a friend request (cmdr Captain_Pugwash_64), we (Tom the Cabin boy and I) will be happy to welcome you aboard when you are in game. Mainly piracy related stuff, you could give Tom a hand, he reckons I mess things up too much, bless him.
Forgot to say: I’m in game mostly between 20:30-22 uk time due to kids.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your condition, lad... I wish you the best possible outcome for your situation! Regarding in-game opportunities, we are currently 22k light years away from the bubble. If you ever find yourself in the Colonia region, contact me in private, or add me in-game (cmdr name is the same as my forums name), and we can go on a mountaineering trip, either the urban type (scaling huge buildings of starports), or old school scaling of peaks at various beautiful planets. The latter is rather forgiving on performance, and if the spot is located next to a nebula, it can be an excellent trek experience.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I'm Paul, CMDR Vernon in game. I've been CMDR Vernon since 1984 when I was 10.

I've been given approximately 12 months to live. I'm based in the UK.

On the 8th November I received the news that my cancer had returned and it is terminal.

I've always played independently, got about 3 hours in multicrew and never flown in a wing. I've never mined.

I'm currently in hospital after having an undiagnosed soft tumour removed from my upper spine on the 12th November and I also have the terminal bone tumours on my ribs and lower spine and mets in my lungs.

I'll be unreliably on and off the game over the coming months but I'd like to explore parts of the game I've never bothered with too much if I can and for that I need the community to help.

My main role has always been an explorer. I play in Odyssey and am ELITE 2 explorer, cataloguer, broker, expert defenceless ranks.

I've never gone in for the grind and I don't want to now, what I have in game, I've earnt the long way round.

I currently fly a Krait Phantom, armed and engineered with a respectible 53Ly range. I'm not aiming to make billions or any of that, just looking for semi reliable players that might want to team up once in a while in an evening to help me explore more of the game. This might be a few weeks away at least at the moment!

Other ships I have are from memory, a python, dbx, dolphin, orca, aspx, a collection of vipers and eagles and my old Sidewinder.

My machine is still struggling with fps on Odyssey in settlements so not fussed about that side of things at the moment. I just want to see what else I've been missing. I love Elite the way I play it but all the same I want to explore more of the games before my time is up.

Before my terminal diagnosis, this was my story.

Thanks

Paul
"Like" isn't an adequate response to this, but I admire your courage and I hope you get decent quality of life in the time you have left, and that it'll be a bit longer than you've been told.

I am sorry to hear this. I wasn´t playing ED since summer and now I m finishing a book, so I won´t play in november either. But I plan to go for ED back in december. Ingame name is my forum name, since 1984 when I played Elite and I was 14.

Top Bottom