Terraformable Metal Rich World?

Looking through the Codex there has been a few terraformable Metal Rich Worlds with atmosphere found in a few regions.

How is this possible??!!!

Star systems have a baseline "metallicity", which essentially determines where the various "snow lines" are within the star system - how metal-rich the planets are at various orbits. A "metal rich" planet in an orbit that's far enough away from the star to be terraformable is only possible in very high metallicity systems.

Only a few of the Regions have one listed, so it's presumably a very rare occurrence. Only slightly rarer than terraformable ammonia worlds - another extremely improbable combination of circumstances, yet most Regions seem to have one of those reported now.

Only a few of the Regions have one listed, so it's presumably a very rare occurrence. Only slightly rarer than terraformable ammonia worlds - another extremely improbable combination of circumstances, yet most Regions seem to have one of those reported now.
I have found a terraformable Ammonia World (sadly not the first in the region) and looking at the details such as gravity,temps and oxygen content could certainly be classed as possibly terraformable conditions....

terraformable? wow, I can walk around terraform surface build my base, script and design objects and textures at least re-design and script ship parts and sale them on the space stadtion. Yes! I wait 14 years for this good news. Final Frontier really make a update. I hurry download the last update...

Have you seen the atmospheric pressures,atmospheres and temperatures non landable metal rich worlds have? It's like terraforming a molten metal ball! :D

That's entirely irrelevant to whether or not a world is terraformable, the only condition is that the body be at the correct distance from the star for liquid water to exist if the atmosphere was converted to an earth like state. Everything else is just engineering.

I have found a terraformable Ammonia World (sadly not the first in the region) and looking at the details such as gravity,temps and oxygen content could certainly be classed as possibly terraformable conditions....

That planet doesn't say it's terraformable. Are you sure it is? It looks way too cold to me.

That planet doesn't say it's terraformable. Are you sure it is? It looks way too cold to me.
It did come up as a terraformable on the Codex -

But with all the terraformable worlds available in the game what's the point in terraforming an Ammonia? ...it'll probably still smell of cat wee afterwards 🤣

Weird. The EDSM entry for the system seems to think it's not terraformable, which agrees with the in-game screen and my own in-game observations that Ammonia Worlds are always too cold to be CFTs. Sounds like it might be a Codex glitch marking some Ammonia Worlds as CFT when they're not.

Unless... maybe they're Thargoformable? Indicating that at some stage, assigning worlds to Thargoid-colony-candidate status is planned to be a thing? And their being marked in the Codex as CFT is something we're not supposed to know about yet? :eek:

This might warrant a dedicated thread on the subject. Or a bug report.

In the meantime, and back on the OP subject, maybe we need to see some actual screenshots of some of these alleged metal-rich terraformables. They might be glitches too. Or Xenoforming candidates for some as-yet-undiscovered silicate-based sentient lifeform? o_O

And despite it saying atmosphere type ammonia and oxygen there doesn't actually appear to be any ammonia in the atmosphere, just CO2, O2 and N. Strange that, the data seems to be wacky, I suggest a return to the nearest base and get the sensors recalibrated!

"Ammonia and oxygen" is an atmosphere description, not a scientific determination of atmosphere contents. Just like water is not always a constitutent of water world and ELW atmospheres. It is like describing Earth's atmosphere as "water and oxygen". Technically correct (it has both water and oxygen in it) and biologically correct, in the sense that it's the water and oxygen in the atmosphere that Earth-life relies upon, but not scientificlaly accurate, from a "listing the major components" point of view.

For the subject planet above, it's the carbon dioxide that's the main problem with terraformability. 204 K is far colder than Earth-like conditions, plus there's a thick, high-CO2 atmosphere keeping it much warmer than it "should" be. Take the CO2 away, and it's not scientifically possible (from an ED-science perspective) to create Earth-like conditions on a planet that cold.

The EDSM data shows that terraformable Metal-rich bodies are at least possible, but very rare. I have 21 in the data (out of 1,237,353 metal-rich bodies in total):

(A similar search for terraformable Ammonia worlds turned up zero)

Code:
mysql> select name,subType,terraformingState from planets where subType='Metal-rich body' and terraformingState='Candidate for terraforming' order by name;
+-----------------------------+-----------------+----------------------------+
| name                        | subType         | terraformingState          |
| Blaichoae GX-L d7-13 A 1    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Blau Briae QI-B d13-9 4     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoi Thua JI-J d9-17 B 3    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoi Thua ZW-A c27-9 B 4    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoomao BU-Q c21-6732 B 1   | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Drojeae AY-F c25-1 A 1      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Dryoea Blao UU-Z c28-86 B 4 | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Ellaidst UU-F d11-25 A 2    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Gludgoea GW-E d11-20 3      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Juenae IM-V e2-7799 8       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Juenae IM-V e2-7799 9       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Lyaisua QO-P d6-4605 A 4    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Myrielk CE-G c24-8247 D 2   | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Outorst ZD-R c18-0 A 2      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Phraa Eaec DW-V e2-9 7      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Phraa Eaec DW-V e2-9 8      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Prua Phoe ON-R d5-379 2     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Pyramio RZ-N d7-5 A 4       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Smojeia LM-T c17-4 A 2      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Sphuedia ZE-R d4-0 1        | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Stuemeae SJ-R d4-2443 1     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
21 rows in set (1 min 30.13 sec)

Last edited:

The issue here is the Codex is falsely flagging some Ammonia Worlds as terraformable, when both the journals and the system map in the game itself say they are not. EDSM isn't spotting those because the issue is apparently entirely on the Codex side, not anything that gets journalled.

Just to wrap up this thread: I dropped by the Stuemeae terraformable metal-rich from Orvidius' list, just to make sure it did actually turn up as a CFT in-game. It does. It's planet 1 in the system, co-orbiting with another terraformable that's a regular HMC. The trans-Venusian atmospheric and surface conditions of the two worlds are essentially identical. Curiously, planet 2 is the slightly heavier of the pair, so I'm not sure why the MR is given seniority. Screenshots of the pair:
7jOk9XC.png

fRmBNCT.png

Last edited:
The EDSM data shows that terraformable Metal-rich bodies are at least possible, but very rare. I have 21 in the data (out of 1,237,353 metal-rich bodies in total):

Code:
mysql> select name,subType,terraformingState from planets where subType='Metal-rich body' and terraformingState='Candidate for terraforming' order by name;
| name                        | subType         | terraformingState          |
| Blaichoae GX-L d7-13 A 1    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Blau Briae QI-B d13-9 4     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoi Thua JI-J d9-17 B 3    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoi Thua ZW-A c27-9 B 4    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Byoomao BU-Q c21-6732 B 1   | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Drojeae AY-F c25-1 A 1      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Dryoea Blao UU-Z c28-86 B 4 | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Ellaidst UU-F d11-25 A 2    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Gludgoea GW-E d11-20 3      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Juenae IM-V e2-7799 8       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Juenae IM-V e2-7799 9       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Lyaisua QO-P d6-4605 A 4    | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Myrielk CE-G c24-8247 D 2   | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Outorst ZD-R c18-0 A 2      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Phraa Eaec DW-V e2-9 7      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Phraa Eaec DW-V e2-9 8      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Prua Phoe ON-R d5-379 2     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Pyramio RZ-N d7-5 A 4       | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Smojeia LM-T c17-4 A 2      | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Sphuedia ZE-R d4-0 1        | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
| Stuemeae SJ-R d4-2443 1     | Metal-rich body | Candidate for terraforming |
21 rows in set (1 min 30.13 sec)

When I do an advanced search on EDSM why do only six show up instead of the 21 you have?

https%3A//i.imgur.com/CFfsS0b.jpg[/img]']

Looks like EDSM restricts the maximum search distance there to 5,000 ly. That's why you found only five.

You can pick different origin points (other than Sol) from which the 5000 LY radius is calculated. You will eventually hit all 21 of them that way, but it's a tedious way to go about it.

Top Bottom