Newcomer / Intro Terrorist missions - help!

Browsing through the mission board, there are many combat missions seeking to eliminate a 'known terrorist',

These missions usually require 2 stages:

1. Go to a certain station and interact with a data point, at which stage the actual location of the target is revealed.
2. Search out and eliminate the target.

I'm having great difficulty with the first part!
Is there some covert way to approach the said data point without starting a battle?
Can you exit your SRV and sneak in on foot?
Any tips ...?

I don't think there's a way to sneak up on the dataport, whether in-ship or SRV.

I usually just fly right up to the dataport in my ship and scan it, ignoring much of the response by the installation. Sometimes you can wait outside of the trespass zone for the ship that may be there to leave or for it to be at the most distant point in its flight around the installation. The datapoint will be highlighted in a gray diamond while approaching the installation so it's generally easy to have it selected well before you get to it and things get more hectic.

Be sure to switch to analysis mode and to deploy your hardpoints so that when you get within scanning range of the dataport, you can scan it immediately (takes approx. 5 seconds I think) and then get out of there.

You'll incur a trespass fine and perhaps a bounty (the latter will make you wanted in the system). The latter can be cleared at an interstellar factor that you find in a low-security system during your travels.

I know that some CMDRs will use a ship such as the Fed assault ship (I believe) to destroy all of the turrets and render the installation harmless to your ship, but this takes more time and will result in becoming wanted. I find that if the installation isn't that high security (heavily armed), the defensive response if I simply fly up to the dataport as quickly as I can and leave as quickly as I can after having scanned it is not sufficient to be a serious threat to my ship.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.

Also, you don't need to do both parts in the same ship. You can go and scan the dataport in your stealth Viper, return to base and switch to the Corvette for stomping on those terrorists.

I have done these missions using a ship to scan the beacon, then get out fast. I almost always incur a bounty or at least a trespass fine. If I use a stealth ship in silent running mode, would it be possible to avoid the bounty or even the fine?

I have a Cobra Mk III for missions that could be modified for stealth if it is worthwhile.

If I use a stealth ship in silent running mode, would it be possible to avoid the bounty or even the fine?
I don't think so. The scan will trigger the alert in any case. If I'm fast enough (i.e. within the treespass timer), on some bases, I get out without any fine or bounty. On other bases, I get out fine, but am slapped with the trespass bounty even after leaving the secured zone. I tend to believe that, for these cases, the bounty is simply triggered by scanning the beacon.

Stealth, silent running or chaff tend to help to avoid being hit by the base guns, though.

I don't think so. The scan will trigger the alert in any case. If I'm fast enough (i.e. within the treespass timer), on some bases, I get out without any fine or bounty. On other bases, I get out fine, but am slapped with the trespass bounty even after leaving the secured zone. I tend to believe that, for these cases, the bounty is simply triggered by scanning the beacon.

Stealth, silent running or chaff tend to help to avoid being hit by the base guns, though.
Thanks

Top Bottom