Testing frame rates on 4 different machines. Will update.

All four tests are running the same save game, same Cmdr, same location but on 4 different PCs.
All were run in Solo mode.

First PC:

i7-6700k/GTX 1660Ti/32gb ram/SSD. On foot at one particular settlement.
Nvidia drivers: 457.30 (downgraded them before this test, after suggestions the latest drivers might not be as good)
Screen size 1920x1200 (16:10) with 2 other monitors connected displaying Windows desktop.
Windows 10 latest updates.

Whether I set my graphics to low, med, high or ultra, restarting the game completely in between, I get 35 fps looking across the settlement. Rises to 45 FPS when looking at the empty sky.

I tried 0.5 supersampling and 1.25x supersampling and it was still 35.

I tried switching off 2 of my 3 screens in Windows, and setting the middle screen to borderless/fullscreen/vsync on/off and frame rate limit 60 and none, and it made zero difference.

Next test will be on my i7-7700 with GTX1660.

Last edited:
PC #2

i7-7700k / GTX 1600 / 16gb ram / SSD
Ultrawide monitor, 2640 x 1080 (50% more pixels than 1920 x 1080)
Nvidia drivers: 466.47

33-35 FPS in the same settlement as above, whether I choose Mid or High. Doesn't matter if I'm looking across the settlement or at the empty sky.
18-22 FPS on ultra.

Last edited:
PC #3

i5-4690 GTX970 16gb ram 1920x1080 with a second screen connected
Nvidia drivers 466.27

30 fps on ground using Mid setting, dropping to 20 on high.

Fullscreen/Borderless/vsync/frame limiter makes no difference.

Enabling Low-Latency mode in the Nvidia driver resulted in 24-25 FPS on high.

Last edited:
Conclusion: seems odd to me that PCs 1 and 2 are vastly more powerful than PC 3, and yet the frame rates don't differ all that much.

Given I have access to four machines, and plenty of time, if anyone from Frontier wants me to try different settings or drivers or whatever, do let me know ...

I would imagine Frontier have tested this DLC on more than enough machines, and have enough Alpha telemetry to know better than anyone how EDO was and is performing - hence the console delay, two patches in two days, split from EDH etc. There can be zero doubt that they knew this release wasn't anywhere close to being 'gold'. I think that's the issue most people have with it currently. The potential is huge of course, but the same old contempt for the consumers remains.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
16 GB RAM
Radeon RX580 8GB latest Radeon drivers
fresh Win10 Prof Installation on a 512GB SSD
55-60 FPS on 2560X1440
Edit: After the first hotfix I had 55-60 in space and 22-30 on foot in the concourse. In the SRV framerate dropped sometimes below 20 and random game crashes when geological sides are 20km in front of my ship. After Update 1 I had the lowest framerates when standing in front of a mission giver (20 FPS), the max framerate on foot is 32 and the lowest 26.

No Orange Sidewinders
Edit: after the first hotfix a lot of taupe Cobras and after Update 1 the famous Launcher problem with Steam

No Graphics bugs only that "inside the ship it is too dark" issue
Edit:: graphic bugs (like blurry Minecraft graphic) in the first minute after logging in and stepping out of the ship after Update 1 they happen randomly in the first minute after logging in the game and then the graphics stabilizes quickly.

I was surprised how good Odyssey performed on my machine
Edit: I am still surprised how good Elite performed because a friend with a way better machine (Nvidia 1060) had worse FPS than I had, sometimes a max of 20FPS

I bet 90% of the Orange Sidewinders have something to do with old drivers and messed up Windows installation.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how many people with Orange Sidewinder errors have configured the port forwarding in Elite and on their router.

When you look in network settings does it say restricted Nat or similar?

Some people have UPnP enabled, others have routers set up differently. Mine shows the most restricted type of Nat, which is why I enabled port forwarding.

1621686771948.png

Last edited:
16 GB RAM
55-60 FPS on 2560X1440
Please show me the exact frame you're looking at with this, because I have similar specs and get half of this on the ground.

16 GB RAM
55-60 FPS on 2560X1440

No Orange Sidewinders
No Graphics bugs only that "inside the ship it is too dark" issue

I was surprised how good Odyssey performed on my machine

I bet 90% of the Orange Sidewinders have something to do with old drivers and messed up Windows installation.
I have this setup except the Cpu Ryzen 5 2600x.
Getting nothing like this fps even at 1080p

Same specs except I have a 3060ti, and i'm not getting those frames at 1080. Only in space, and only if I'm just flying. CZ's are choppy.
Please show me the exact frame you're looking at with this, because I have similar specs and get half of this on the ground.

I would imagine Frontier have tested this DLC on more than enough machines, and have enough Alpha telemetry to know better than anyone how EDO was and is performing - hence the console delay, two patches in two days, split from EDH etc. There can be zero doubt that they knew this release wasn't anywhere close to being 'gold'. I think that's the issue most people have with it currently. The potential is huge of course, but the same old contempt for the consumers remains.
Yeah, I was concerned when they announced the split from EDH. They were clearly well aware of performance/optimisation problems before launch.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor
16 GB RAM
Radeon RX580 8GB, 21.4.1 drivers
Win7 SP1 on 120GB ssd and EDO on other 250GB ssd.
1920x1080, fullscreen, High preset. Limit at 60 fps.
30-45 fps in social hubs, 60+ fps in space, 45-60 fps in crash sites, 35-45 fps in settlements.

Alienware Aurora R10 Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb of 3200 ram, ATI Radeon 6800XT. All on Ultra.
this morning /tonight I was getting 200fps in space. And between 55 and 100 FPS on stations and planets. I have noticed that most people with really bad problems are all running Nvidia cards, maybe they need to update their drivers. .

I'd be interested to know how many people with Orange Sidewinder errors have configured the port forwarding in Elite and on their router.
Bad ISP, restricted NAT, no port forwarding, no UPNP in the router and no issues.
The only time I get Orange Sidewinder is when everyone do which is most likely the servers fault at that time.

Top Bottom