Thank You FDEV!!!

You know what, I'm ready for all the people disagreeing with me but I am god damned sick to death of the endless shrieking and complaining in the forums. You people won't stop complaining about literally everything ever, just quit the game! Oh wait, you won't, because you actually like the game.

Ohhh goodddd I can't make 6 billion a day abusing an asteroid exploit? I'm gonna make a 20 post berating the devs!

F*ck fdev amirite? They release patches without even testing them!

Oh wait, what's that? You tested the patch and a bug showed up, so you're delaying it! Shame on you fdev! shaaaaame on you!

This has to be the whiniest community I've ever been part of. And I've played league of legends for years, you guys just complain for the sake of complaining, offer no constructive criticism, and think that a new player getting an anaconda after 8 hours of gameplay is "too grindy". Just shut the f up, please shut the f up.

The game is not dying, don't feel bad about uninstalling, there's more players now than ever, at no point in ED history has there been so many players as there are now. I'll repeat it, it doesn't matter how angry this makes you feel:

👏 The👏 game👏 is👏 not👏 dying👏
Cause game is broken. If it wasn't broken, no one would complain.

The PvP community has been complaining about major, game breaking bugs for years and literally nothing has been fixed. Not only has nothing been fixed but even more game breaking bugs have been added.

It would be nice if Frontier at least addressed something.

The only reason they ever even attempt to fix anything is because people complaining.

And I have to hand it to the Elite community, most of the complaints are at least civil and not psychotic nonsense.

Cause game is broken. If it wasn't broken, no one would complain.

The PvP community has been complaining about major, game breaking bugs for years and literally nothing has been fixed. Not only has nothing been fixed but even more game breaking bugs have been added.

It would be nice if Frontier at least addressed something.

The only reason they ever even attempt to fix anything is because people complaining.

And I have to hand it to the Elite community, most of the complaints are at least civil and not psychotic nonsense.

The game works fine for most of the playerbase, if it was broken I wouldn't play it. Oh but I do and enjoy it.

The PVP community has been complaining

This is true no matter when you read it

It is mind blowing that someone would say this unironically

The game works fine for most of the playerbase, if it was broken I wouldn't play it. Oh but I do and enjoy it.

This is true no matter when you read it

It is mind blowing that someone would say this unironically
Can you blame the PvP community? They've literally received nothing, except the unfun garbage that is CQC.

And yeah, compared to other videogame communities, this one is very tame.

Umm, this is turning out to be an interesting thread. For me, the game has lost my interest, for now. It may change when EDO arrives but we'll see. The investment of time I have given to this game has made me question my life choices and feel I should spend my time doing something more educational, to advance my knowledge else where that may actually prove to be of some benefit to my life. I played a lot of games in my life, but most have had an end to them; once i've completed it, i rarely go back and i can get on with my life. With ED, i have spent over 500 hours in the game I'll never get back and there is no end to it and i can't help but feel in some way that i have wasted that time; time i could have spent improving myself and my life.

Although ED has a lot of science in there, it's mostly hidden behind the scenes to make everything work. It would be nice if you could have more information about systems you visit and what they contain, which in most cases, don't contain much at all, appearing not much different than systems you have visited countless times before. It's get a bit boring after a while.

Maybe i'm just burnt out from ED, I've heard players going through this countless times. Maybe i just need a break from it

I'm not sure a non-flawed version is even theoretically possible without taking major chunks out of the concept [1]. The surprise is that they managed to get it released at all.

[1] Which is not to say that there aren't many areas where Frontier could improve on what there currently is without hitting theoretical limits. Obviously there's plenty of that too.

I think it is. Because frontier themselves have proven they can achieve a majority accepted state by iteration with the park games. Planet Coaster and JWE both had elite level flaws in their fundamental features.. Planet Zoo via the third attempted seems to have addressed them all. At some point there will be a common culture in the same company because it is the same company, so id dare to say that even for frontier, yes it is. Also the fact that the community can theorycraft proposals that look like 80-100% of a good solution just via armchair efforts means its not theoretically impossible to get there with the sandbox.

If you lament lost time from playing ED, you probably won't be happy playing games in general. Personally it's not that big of a deal, we're not on some pre-determined grand destiny. Do what you want.

don't contain much at all, appearing not much different than systems you have visited countless times before. It's get a bit boring after a while.

Considering the massive size of the universe, that describes space in real life. Maybe you can try Space Engine

I think it is. Because frontier themselves have proven they can achieve a majority accepted state by iteration with the park games. Planet Coaster and JWE both had elite level flaws in their fundamental features.. Planet Zoo via the third attempted seems to have addressed them all. At some point there will be a common culture in the same company because it is the same company, so id dare to say that even for frontier, yes it is. Also the fact that the community can theorycraft proposals that look like 80-100% of a good solution just via armchair efforts means its not theoretically impossible to get there with the sandbox.
Oh, I don't mean it's theoretically impossible for Frontier to sort out the bugs and improve the gameplay. Lots of things have been improved since 1.0.

I mean fundamental things such as there being no satisfactory answer to "what jump range should a ship have?" in a game that attempts all of Elite Dangerous' gameplay types
- a fixed and low jump range as in the original Elite allows for huge amounts of emergent content - trade routes, bottlenecks, strategic systems, dead ends, one-way shortcuts with white dwarf boost - within inhabited space ... but would make exploration incredibly slow and people might need to travel for weeks or months just to get to the edge of the slowly expanding sphere of discovered systems
- a dynamic and high jump range as we have (and had in 1.0, the increases since then are just convenience) makes exploration of the whole galaxy possible and lets everyone find their own new systems fairly easily ... but means inter-system distances in the bubble are basically irrelevant (as the Fleet Carrier's "any to any" range nails down further)

Or things like "how many inhabited systems should the bubble have?" - 20,000 is clearly far too many for the generally active player base for almost all purposes and leads to almost all of them being essentially anonymous. There'd be a lot more scope for casual player interactions if it was 2,000 systems or maybe even smaller. (Colonia at 70 I think is ideal in many respects, though it might need to be slightly bigger if every player was here) ... but the exception is for BGS purposes where 20,000 is likely to literally run out of space for new PMFs in three years, and there's already very little space a new one can be added which doesn't put it at immediate risk of being trampled by an established neighbour or Powerplay group.

The game is trying to do too many things at once which means impossible compromises on requirements between each bit. But if it didn't try to do all of them at once, it wouldn't be an Elite sequel.

Oh, I don't mean it's theoretically impossible for Frontier to sort out the bugs and improve the gameplay. Lots of things have been improved since 1.0.

I mean fundamental things such as there being no satisfactory answer to "what jump range should a ship have?" in a game that attempts all of Elite Dangerous' gameplay types
  • a fixed and low jump range as in the original Elite allows for huge amounts of emergent content - trade routes, bottlenecks, strategic systems, dead ends, one-way shortcuts with white dwarf boost - within inhabited space ... but would make exploration incredibly slow and people might need to travel for weeks or months just to get to the edge of the slowly expanding sphere of discovered systems
  • a dynamic and high jump range as we have (and had in 1.0, the increases since then are just convenience) makes exploration of the whole galaxy possible and lets everyone find their own new systems fairly easily ... but means inter-system distances in the bubble are basically irrelevant (as the Fleet Carrier's "any to any" range nails down further)

Or things like "how many inhabited systems should the bubble have?" - 20,000 is clearly far too many for the generally active player base for almost all purposes and leads to almost all of them being essentially anonymous. There'd be a lot more scope for casual player interactions if it was 2,000 systems or maybe even smaller. (Colonia at 70 I think is ideal in many respects, though it might need to be slightly bigger if every player was here) ... but the exception is for BGS purposes where 20,000 is likely to literally run out of space for new PMFs in three years, and there's already very little space a new one can be added which doesn't put it at immediate risk of being trampled by an established neighbour or Powerplay group.

The game is trying to do too many things at once which means impossible compromises on requirements between each bit. But if it didn't try to do all of them at once, it wouldn't be an Elite sequel.

To defy the laws of tradition.. is a crusade only of the brave. Or something like that.

• Problem one sounds easy, short jump ranges with worm holes, or if something more believable is required, weekly taxi's. Be brave and keep the experience of the bubble to when it was better.
  • The number of stations has more to do with the content at the stations than number. This one hits close to home actually.. over the last month i was coming to a sad realization that.. because of the same same nature of all the content in the bubble, its mechanically useless except for letting new players find their feet and powerplay. The entire bubble is certifiably useless. This was so sad because it didn't use to be that way. When there was variability in the mission boards, i spent months searching for unknown edge cases.. finding a goldmine all to myself, adding additional criteria such as goldmine and must give rep.. This was absolutely amazing. Before getting too resigned at the memory, i think the problem with the bubble has not ever been the number of stations, but the value in going to the next one. Without spending a few weeks formally looking at the options, restoring the mission boards to 2.1 and 2.2 would fix that absolutely.
  • If what you really mean by stations is player interaction thats trivial.. create gold rushes too good to be true in open only. I don't pvp but i want this carrot to make me try...
  • I think others have good solutions to all the powerplay woes, i've never done it, but understand how the thing works. Yes make it open only. And just have 3 powers (or the superpowers).

I still don't think its that hard, pending some initiative to make changes and improve the situation. To please most people. Every other game seems to be 80/20, happy to sad. With elite its more like 20/80.

Sorry need to run to the shops, out of nappies.

To defy the laws of tradition.. is a crusade only of the brave. Or something like that.

• Problem one sounds easy, short jump ranges with worm holes, or if something more believable is required, weekly taxi's. Be brave and keep the experience of the bubble to when it was better.
  • The number of stations has more to do with the content at the stations than number. This one hits close to home actually.. over the last month i was coming to a sad realization that.. because of the same same nature of all the content in the bubble, its mechanically useless except for letting new players find their feet and powerplay. The entire bubble is certifiably useless. This was so sad because it didn't use to be that way. When there was variability in the mission boards, i spent months searching for unknown edge cases.. finding a goldmine all to myself, adding additional criteria such as goldmine and must give rep.. This was absolutely amazing. Before getting too resigned at the memory, i think the problem with the bubble has not ever been the number of stations, but the value in going to the next one. Without spending a few weeks formally looking at the options, restoring the mission boards to 2.1 and 2.2 would fix that absolutely.
  • If what you really mean by stations is player interaction thats trivial.. create gold rushes too good to be true in open only. I don't pvp but i want this carrot to make me try...
  • I think others have good solutions to all the powerplay woes, i've never done it, but understand how the thing works. Yes make it open only. And just have 3 powers (or the superpowers).

I still don't think its that hard, pending some initiative to make changes and improve the situation. To please most people. Every other game seems to be 80/20, happy to sad. With elite its more like 20/80.

Sorry need to run to the shops, out of nappies.

The whole open only idea is based on flawed assumptions. The basic idea behind it is that PVP shouldn't be optional, reducing jump range, or removing stations, or introducing wormholes, or starting goldrushes isn't going to change the fact that players are allowed to choose mode.

Say they introduce all of those things, you'd also need to remove highwake, modes, lowwake, geographic servers, other platforms, other timezones, speedbuilds, block function, players who know when and how to be careful and also menu log.

You don't want changes you want a fundamentally different game or for all other players to suddenly decide they want to only play the way you want them to.

It'll never happen it's utterly unrealistic. Which is why the idea's never made any progress in over half a decade.

Which is why the idea's never made any progress in over half a decade.
Only because no-one has put forward a really good scenario - which of course I shall now do:

First scrap all those silly systems - all we need is two stations, 30km apart - mind you, stations is a bit confusing, think of trains and such, so we'll call them 'Bases', much better!
Don't need a body for the bases to be in orbit - it only confuses folk, get rid of it. But then we get a lot of black and that is unnerving, let's fill the space with a nice sandy colour... MUCH better!

Engineering - get rid of it, wastes too much time anyway,
Every player has to have guns, lots of them, no option to NOT have them - oh, and get rid of these silly ship things while we are at it, much too fiddly...
No more shields or armour, makes the TTK too long...
Only a single mode with a single instance, of course...

There - the perfect game - doesn't everyone agree?

We could call it Elite: Haddock (as COD has already been taken) 😹

You don't want changes you want a fundamentally different game or for all other players to suddenly decide they want to only play the way you want them to.
But the point stands that Elite design philosophy, that grants this huge amout of freedom to the player results ultimately in compromises negatively effecting everyone in one way or another.

Top Bottom