Thank You Frontier For Being One Of The Good Guys

I suspect I'm going to have a different take on some of these things lol. What can I say? I'm differently abled...

:) Fair enough. I could start with Battlefront and so forth... or EA's latest flop ME: Andromeda and selling multiplayer booster packs, etc... yeah but I'm just a bit tired of the tedium.

We all kinda know what the OP meant by it... and it's true. It's all about how big your wallet is to what sort of "advantage" you have when they do that.

When out and about in the real world I also feel the need to thank and congratulate people for behaving normally.
I simply find it incredible!
LOL

I think that's a fine idea! How else do people know how to behave in a good and proper manner? There's no end of stories about well compensated tools around; few about fine upstanding citizens.

As critical as I have been of Frontier for some of what I perceive as questionable design decisions, I have never been afraid to financially support them through the store. This is also my way of supporting them for being the 'good guys' as the OP has pointed out. Thanks OP for reminding us all, and thankyou Frontier!

@Punished Mobius, you gave me a good laugh regarding the Satan reference.

...it really makes me appreciate how lucky we are that companies like Frontier hold themselves to a much higher ethical standard, with having a cosmetics-only store. It makes me feel so much better too about the money I spend there to support Frontier...

Yup, count me in.

I may not agree with everything (ahem, or even much) that FDev has done since 1.0, but I do trust in their belief that they are trying to stay true to their vision of what ED should become. I signed up for the ride knowing this, and I am happy to still be on-board.

And I must take this opportunity to express a vaguely unhealthy degree of love for the sound department. Every time I dip into ED I seem to find a new aural aspect to the rich tapestry that I had not heard before.

EA caved to the instant gratification kids.

Caved or saw a potential gold mine and went for it? That's also neglecting the fact that they severely hampered game play progression too. When they said they were lowering all the costs for higher tier unlocks, they also proportionally backscaled progression rewards, so there wasn't really much relative change at all? Also EA is the publisher and Dice made the game (if we're talking about BF2?). As I understand it, the publisher dictates that they want loot boxes and the developer complies.

Like I said, if FD had a third party publisher, this could be a different situation... nonetheless, what we do have is much better than what it could be. :)

Same here, despite my recently developed rantiness about the game state and incresed criticism on the pace and delivery of new content, I still havebelieve that Fdev is a better company than the big ones already mentioned. I have spent around $300 (kickstarter included) in ED content, no regrets, but high expectations for the future.

FD sure has hit a home-run. They have us all paying for in-game items with real money, repeatedly! They get richer and all it takes is pixels. And it seems that people actually feel good doing so!

Genius!

*tips hat*

What pay2win lootboxes are you talking about, specifically?
I'm assuming your question was serious (and not satirical). EA (among others) have recently been in the news for selling in-game loot boxes which MIGHT contain various OP goodies. Some are even calling this "gambling". You can earn the loot boxes in-game, by grinding for many hours or you can just buy them for real cash (which is encouraged in-game).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ssion-targets-ea-and-blizzard-over-loot-boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03EY02y2WE

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2s-loot-boxes-are-not-gambli/1100-6454998/

PS. Thanks FD, for not adding pay-to-win content.

Last edited:
I'm assuming your question was serious (and not satirical). EA (among others) have recently been in the news for selling in-game loot boxes which MIGHT contain various OP goodies. Some are even calling this "gambling". You can earn the loot boxes in-game, by grinding for many hours or you can just buy them for real cash (which is encouraged in-game).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ssion-targets-ea-and-blizzard-over-loot-boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03EY02y2WE

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2s-loot-boxes-are-not-gambli/1100-6454998/

PS. Thanks FD, for not adding pay-to-win content.

I think I'll wait to dig into this topic until tomorrow. G'night all:)

FD sure has hit a home-run. They have us all paying for in-game items with real money, repeatedly! They get richer and all it takes is pixels. And it seems that people actually feel good doing so!

Genius!

*tips hat*
Because they have the sense to sell items that are essentially meaningless to the game, but mean something to those who buy them. Indeed genius.

Yeah, pretty much actually. There's no pay-to-win model here and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Next time you just want to make yet another petty dig you might want to think it through first.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
What?! So having to buy Horizons to be able to compete in PvP or fight Thargoids never happened?! Pretty much the definition of P2W...

All the complaints about loot boxes happened before when the practice of selling DLC began. Hardly anyone complains about DLC these days, and it won't be long before loot boxes are accepted as the new norm.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
What?! So having to buy Horizons to be able to compete in PvP or fight Thargoids never happened?! Pretty much the definition of P2W...

All the complaints about loot boxes happened before when the practice of selling DLC began. Hardly anyone complains about DLC these days, and it won't be long before loot boxes are accepted as the new norm.

That's an expansion - owning it offers new content that the player has to play the game to receive.

@Ziljan: I am also glad that Frontier have resisted the temptation to offer non-cosmetic items in the store. Very glad indeed. :)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Top Bottom