Thank You Frontier For Being One Of The Good Guys

You are talking OP as it they had no in game microtransactions, not to mention at what prices.

Which where mediated YEARS before with community and is cosmetics only - because they have servers to run.

It is lesserer of lesser evils, dancing on pointy surface of needle.

... he discovered that new skins were possible to make just by literally adjusting a few numbers and that was it. We pay 3 dollars for just a lame change in some numbers and that's it.

I have something that will annoy you even more .... the whole game is just numbers - you could literally write it yourself - for free! Just got to be quite picky about what those numbers are :D

Never understood the whole, I need to thank a company for not trying to right royaly screw me out of every pennie/cent/insert unit of choice, that I own, but hey they got around 100 odd quid out of me over the years and I'm ment to say thankyou for that, they should be thanking me for buying stuff thus keeping things going.

Over all though I do agree its nice to see a games company doing it the way FD do it, but then their are many others who do the same thing, and yeah Im english and my mun taught me my please and thankyous, I hold the door for women and help old ladys over the road.

Last edited:
You are talking OP as it they had no in game microtransactions, not to mention at what prices.

Microtransactions are fine* until they don't influence the gameplay and don't give advantage. Paintjob isn't increasing your damage resistance, it's purely visual thing. Nameplates doesn't affect your scan probability, pure visual thing. Ship kits doesn't make your ship go faster or shoot harder. Pure bling-bling.

FD keeping away from introducing better hitting guns, high armor value hull reinforcements or high output thrusters into the shop is to be thanked. Especially when EA made a patent that is highly disturbing. They say it's not implemented in any of their game. Yet.

In case you haven't heard:
Patent I'm talking about is a multi stage monitoring and ranking software
- 1st module simply observe your play style and learn your habits. It then decide what kind of player you are. Dedicated one that spend at least 4 hrs a day, every day, or casual one that pops at random for a match or two. You're all front berserker assaulter or sniper camper. You go solo or prefer team play... This is not that bad.

- 2nd module takes data from module 1 to matchmake you with other people at equal skill level so overall match is balanced. No one wants to be matched against some uber pro who singlehanded can take out your entire team. For some killing a bunch of noobs isn't a challenge at all. So even matchmaking is good thing.

- 3rd module is beyond bad. This module simply takes data from module 1 and F's with module 2 to promote microtransactions. Lets say module 1 found you like to snipe from afar. Module 3 pits you against other snipers equipped with in-game shop bought uber sniper rifle. You loose all the time but you see all enemies that killed you were using that rifle (game will tell it straight). YOu want to be better, you are "tempted" to buy this rifle for yourself.

Further - game "rewards" you for your purchase by pitting you against players that are exceptionally bad against snipers. This way you don't feel any regrets for purchasing said rifle because immediately after purchase you suddenly rock. Until game decides it's been long enough from your last purchase and start to pit you against players with better gear and you start to loose. Not because you are bad. Because game cheats you into unfair games to "encourage" you to make another OP shop purchase.

And I can bet this WILL be used in near future and WILL become standard in the industry. That's why developers who decide NOT to follow that path should be at least thanked for such decision. Despite having in-game shop and selling things that should be available in base game in the first place. As long it's just visual things I can decide whether to buy or not and not facing any consequences for not buying it.

*- can't believe I said that. I still remember, and it wasn't THAT long ago, when developers published game, and it was complete product. Today they develop a game, cut 30% of it and sell it via microtransactions on top of original game for which they still ask the full price.

EA caved to the instant gratification kids.
So glad FD didn't when pestered for the same.

I thought it was Beetlejuice.

Rofl. EA caved in to the moar cash C-suite. Nothing to do with instant gratification beyond exploiting it for quick dosh.

Classify those games into online gambling and bwam this crap goes away to die in a corner.

Good thing we have still companies like FDev, CDprojekt and Paradox.

Nice post Ziljan!

Some of you may have seen Tim Minchin's "9 life lessons" speech doing the rounds on facebook.
I think lesson 7 - "Define yourself by what you love" is worth repeating here ..

"I see it all the time online
people whose idea of being a part of a subculture
is to hate Coldplay or football or feminists or the Liberal Party
We have a tendency to define ourselves in opposition to stuff
Try to express your passion for things you love.
Be demonstrative and generous in your praise of those you admire
Send thank you cards and standing ovations
Be pro-stuff not just anti-stuff"

Here's the full speach, well worth a watch!

[video=youtube_share;y9QI_rOQKq4]https://youtu.be/y9QI_rOQKq4[/video]

Last edited:
When out and about in the real world I also feel the need to thank and congratulate people for behaving normally.
I simply find it incredible!
LOL

Yes, sadly we live in such a world. Normal behavior needs to be noticed and congratulated when it comes to microtransactions, so it hopefully stays that way.

I've been thinking of posting something like op in the past days. Definitedly watching all the mess EA has created with a smile on my face and proud of being a supporter of an honest company here

Gah, they're okay I guess, I'm still bloody suspicious about a few things though, Braben's sweaters, Lewis' hair, space loach and TJ to name but a few.

:D

Signed. I do get a bit tetchy when people have a go at them for having had one paid DLC that 'made the game p2w' or 'stupid prices in the store where everything should be available ingame'.

I glance around at The Old Republic, EVE or any other games I played (and paid a lot more than I have here, even including kickstarters and whatnot).

Such high standards yes, this is why the flappy bits on the couriers thrusters never match any paintjob and the anacondas ship kit was incompletly modeled at launch, (might be fixed now) and came with the same paint wear bugs the aspx had(has?)
Decal, clipping and color issues definitely feel like i got value for money

Which where mediated YEARS before with community and is cosmetics only - because they have servers to run.

It is lesserer of lesser evils, dancing on pointy surface of needle.

What servers? The game uses P2P.Their costs are minimal,its just a myth sold by companies to fools.

Top Bottom