[SOLVED] Thanks for destroying months of exploration Frontier. Just wonderful.

Automatic ship landing does seem to me to be more broken over time not that is was ever fully baked.

For anyone that experiences an issue where a ship is trying to landing abnormally:
  • Don't do planary landings in a shieldless ship.
  • At the first sign of a problem, abort (by logging out and/or dismissing the ship) and try again at another location.

Last edited:
I've been reading your posts for five years Max. Good humor never gets old and I always appreciate your consistency.
Then you haven't been reading them properly. There have been plenty of criticisms of the game in my posts, and there are many areas where the game should be much better then what it is.

If I was a white knight, I would see the game as perfect in every way.

So, I suggest you actually read my posts/threads instead of making up crap.

Hell, I'd only just created a thread a week or so ago complaining about an aspect of the game which seems to be broken.

Lol, calling me a white knight. But I suppose these days a white knight is anyone that doesn't agree with you, right?

Then you haven't been reading them properly. There have been plenty of criticisms of the game in my posts, and there are many areas where the game should be much better then what it is.

If I was a white knight, I would see the game as perfect in every way.

So, I suggest you actually read my posts/threads instead of making up crap.

Hell, I'd only just created a thread a week or so ago complaining about an aspect of the game which seems to be broken.

Lol, calling me a white knight. But I suppose these days a white knight is anyone that doesn't agree with you, right?
This is basically me as well. There's TONS of things I love about Elite, but those things I love have been around in the game for many years now so it's kind of redundant for me to talk about them right now. Most of the new developments with Elite and EDO have been negative, and due to their recency, is generally what I talk about more.

Doesn't mean I'm a "hater," it just means most of the stuff I really like about the game is old ground that I don't really need to keep bringing up, and most of the recent stuff happening with the game is...not that great.

This is basically me as well. There's TONS of things I love about Elite, but those things I love have been around in the game for many years now so it's kind of redundant for me to talk about them right now. Most of the new developments with Elite and EDO have been negative, and due to their recency, is generally what I talk about more.

Doesn't mean I'm a "hater," it just means most of the stuff I really like about the game is old ground that I don't really need to keep bringing up, and most of the recent stuff happening with the game is...not that great.
For me, on the whole I like Odyssey. I just want them to fix the performance issues more then anything else, and then the planetary tiling issues. After that, I will be pretty happy.

For me, on the whole I like Odyssey. I just want them to fix the performance issues more then anything else, and then the planetary tiling issues. After that, I will be pretty happy.
Same. I generally like most of the new content in EDO, but the absolutely ragged performance makes me just not want to bother booting it up. I'm lucky that Elite isn't the only game I play, so I can easily just move on to something else. Unfortunately this also means i have more games to compare Elite's performance too, which just exacerbates my disappointment in it.

Same. I generally like most of the new content in EDO, but the absolutely ragged performance makes me just not want to bother booting it up. I'm lucky that Elite isn't the only game I play, so I can easily just move on to something else. Unfortunately this also means i have more games to compare Elite's performance too, which just exacerbates my disappointment in it.
I reinstalled RDR2 yesterday after almost a year. Turns out they implemented DLSS. I can run RDR2 at settings between high and ultra, in 4k, at pretty much constant 60 FPS. Its jarring to then boot EDO and get 40 FPS, when downsampling visuals that weren't that great in the first place and aliasing all over the screen. I dont expect EDO to run like EDH, but it should absolutely hit solid 60 FPS in 4k on my rig. Playing other games really makes you realize just how far short FD is of any reasonable performance.

I reinstalled RDR2 yesterday after almost a year. Turns out they implemented DLSS. I can run RDR2 at settings between high and ultra, in 4k, at pretty much constant 60 FPS. Its jarring to then boot EDO and get 40 FPS, when downsampling visuals that weren't that great in the first place and aliasing all over the screen. I dont expect EDO to run like EDH, but it should absolutely hit solid 60 FPS in 4k on my rig. Playing other games really makes you realize just how far short FD is of any reasonable performance.
Yup. The only culprit can be the Cobra Engine, a relic from a bygone age that's likely been wrapped in sellotape and patches to make it work. Said it elsewhere, I think the only answer at this stage is "Elite Dangerous 2", rewritten from the ground up because trying to wring performance out of this at the moment seems to be like trying to win an F1 race in a Fiat Ritmo.

The only culprit can be the Cobra Engine, a relic from a bygone age that's likely been wrapped in sellotape and patches to make it work.
Its impossible to make any kind of statements about it. RDR2 uses RAGE, their proprietary engine developed and refined since 2006. Unless you are both a game developer and have extensive knowledge of COBRA, you are not going to be able to have any reasonably idea about what is/isn't possible, and what causes the performance issues. JWE2, for example, seems to be shaping up just fine. EDO is a very complex development project, in a very complicated time due to COVID, which probably means there isn't going to be a singular cause anyway.

This. While I don't have 4K capable hardware, what I have is plenty capable of pushing 80+fps at 1080p even in newly released games. And while I never thought EDO would be identical to EDH's performance, I don't think anyone expected to only get 1/3rd the performance, nor do I think many people believe the visuals we get are even worth that kind of framerate dropoff.

I can play Death Stranding at 1080p Max settings, an absolutely drop dead gorgeous open world expansive game, and get 80-100fps, but EDO tanks me to 30fps or below quite often and the only way to improve it is to lower the render resolution, which compared to Death Stranding is a complete joke.

just take solace in the fact that none of that exploration actually mattered even if you survived. nothing more than an aesthetic achievement besides the experience you had at the time. So if you get a bunch of credits...then you're golden. even saved yourself the trip back to wherever you last docked.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! I actually laughed out loud at this solace statement! And then... My mood changed to sorrow. For IT IS TRUE! This is what is most bothering me at exploration - there is NOTHING meaningful to be found. NOTHING. Nothing to mount on your ship, nothing of ANY use, even less something that would change the course of humanity - somehow I doubt even the discovery of Raxxla would mean anything in-game, just kudos from the exploration community for being the first to stumble upon it...

Top Bottom