THARGOID ATTACK IN 32 c PISCIUM

Jex =TE=

Banned
Depends on your weapons, scouts can be killed with ordinary weapons easily, muticanons are perfect. Only go after the larger goids if you have an AX load out and a fairly sturdy build.

I think you need to take a break from the game.

I don't play this thing, it's not a game though, not yet and won't ever be if we allow the devs to get away with this low level of game design. How about an actual threat, that we have civilians to save. You can play pretend all you like but nothing gets affected in the actual gameworld making you entirely disconnected to it.

What's wrong with population numbers going down and TG's attacking us? The OP sounds exciting - when you break it down there's literally nothing to go and save.

I think not. Or at least I've not seen it happen. But they do get really scared.
i-sense-a-disturbance-in-the-force-quote-1.jpg

Nevermind... It was just space food again!
Motivational_pics-farts.jpg

Should we mainly fight the Scouts or the bigger bugs?

What is more effective?

Pretty sure in terms of the station defence the scouts will be best, because you can kill them in larger quantities which is more likely to lead to the station being saved. I'm not even sure interceptors are in 32 c Piscium yet, no you might not have a choice. Plus, you can farm scouts easily for combat ranking, so there's something in it for you too.

How about an actual threat, that we have civilians to save. ... when you break it down there's literally nothing to go and save.

Oh there's a genuine threat but it's not very eye catching - if the OP had opened the post with "BGS..." or "Powerplay..." no one would read it! (And maybe even rightly so)

A few unknowns: This is a Powerplay control system. Will there be a Powerplay Contact tomorrow? If not, we won't be able to fortify the system from an orbital with large pads. Will the leading faction take a dive? Antal Powerplay relies heavily on the BGS and favoured factions - is this at risk? What about the security of the system? If it takes a dive, undermining will be easier. Where do the Thargoids go next? Can the be stopped by early counterattacks? At what point does Aegis step in? Ever? These are relevant issues for any Powerplay group - we're just the pioneers. Thanks ED!

I don't consider this to be low level design at all - quite the opposite, but it's a hard sell in a game that looks like a pewpew fest. What you're describing as pretending has more to do with a little bit suspension of disbelief (surely essential in a space game) and a little bit of colouring in the empty spaces. Clearly you see a lot of blank spaces but I'm lovin it!

Last edited:
Pretty sure in terms of the station defence the scouts will be best, because you can kill them in larger quantities which is more likely to lead to the station being saved. I'm not even sure interceptors are in 32 c Piscium yet, no you might not have a choice. Plus, you can farm scouts easily for combat ranking, so there's something in it for you too.

Threat levels 4 to 7 are in the system so I think all ships are there.

If you take Walt Kerman's (check this out) word as law (I do) then this is probably on a transaccional basis - it's not what you kill, but how many you kill. Or more correctly, the number of kills you check in. Or... buggerit, read his thread - he writes better than me ;-)

Most people when they recount games they played actually explain the gameplay. ED is the only game I know of where you have to explain what you imagained, in other words, what didn't happen, because the devs can't code it into the game.

I do wish the Thargoid threat and invasion was more real time and interactive rather than a “changes every Thursday” kind of thing. I wish players could actively see the effects of their efforts in game instead of waiting until the next server tick to see what happens. The whole Thargoid event feels so sterile and safe, like we can all just ignore it and life in the galaxy will just continue on unhindered. When I did set out to blow up some aliens it took quite a bit of effort just to find them, and then afterwards it felt like I really wasn’t accomplishing anything anyway. In fact I came out losing credits due to my repair bills being larger than the payouts for fighting the Thargoids.

So with no progression, no payout, and no in game impact, why would I partake in this “war” again? I wish Frontier had implemented the whole thing differently. With more focus on gameplay, not just the combat mechanics but the BGS mechanics too.

While I can appreciate the effort to roleplay the war like this, as a gamer I just need more than that to keep me engaged. Frontier’s lack of effort has directly translated into my own lack of effort to partake in the content, and I wish it wasn’t so because the potential was great for this to really be awesome.

I do wish the Thargoid threat and invasion was more real time and interactive rather than a “changes every Thursday” kind of thing. I wish players could actively see the effects of their efforts in game instead of waiting until the next server tick to see what happens.

Even though it sounds cool, I'm curious.. what other games do these kind of real time and interactive changes to the game world?

If we can just kill scouts, then I theoretically could help. However, I have other plans tonight. If the devs expect us to actually get involved in protecting the Bubble, they can't just drop this 24 hour junk on us.

If we have to kill anything bigger than scouts, I'm out. I simply can not do any significant damage to Cyclops Interceptors with my current configuration (controls, not ships). My anti-Thargoid Anaconda even has Guardian Plasma chargers and Gauss cannons now, and I still couldn't even take down one heart.

Maybe after this weekend - when I'm able to finally set up my HOTAS in an ergonomic chair - I may be able to "git gud" and have a chance at taking these things down. With my current controls (Xbox 360 controller), it's a no-go.

Until then, have fun holding back the bugs...

I wonder, is the pay actually better to rescue refugees and resupply stations AFTER an attack than it is to prevent the attack in the first place?

I guess there are as many players interested in the Tharg threats as in PP. Curious to know what FD would do if most Cmdrs ignore the Thargs.

Haha, just realised that the Tharg war may should have been connected to the federal rank system. Then being Admiral or King would actually mean sth.

Regards,
King Admiral Commander Eloy who didn't kill no Tharg

Last edited:
Even though it sounds cool, I'm curious.. what other games do these kind of real time and interactive changes to the game world?

Many MMO’s, but you need a server architecture to make it work. Elite’s peer to peer smaller scale networking probably prohibits it to a degree. Technically I’m sure it CAN be done, but not the way Elite is set up most likely. Not without major reworking at any rate. I was just hoping they would do that work for the Thargoids return.

With Elite’s network architecture in mind, what I had hoped for Frontier to do was implement the Thargoids as a kind of Power Play like feature. Incorporate it into the BGS as system states with various levels of invasion or defense, with progress trackers the players could actively monitor in real time, much like CG’s or reputation bars. Players could impact this state progression by doing things like destroying Thargoids, completing military missions against them, flying passenger ships to move troops around or evacuate people, mining ores to support war production or repair damaged stations, trading things like weapons and medical supplies, and performing search & rescue runs into Thargoid combat aftermaths to rescue pilots and civilian victims. All of which would help to secure systems from Thargoid invasion, repelling them back. Very much like a strategy wargame working inside of Elite. With these mechanics in place the Thargoids could either spread further or be pushed back with every server tick, but the progression could be tracked in real time much more effectively, and players would have direct ways to impact that progression and see it for themselves. A system that the players would impact and control rather than the devs with “Hands of God”.

Something like that should be entirely doable within Elite’s current server architecture.

I'm already over there, and have been killing what I can.

last night there saw several level 8 none human signal sources aka nhss

a few level 6 and 5, and tonnes of level 4s

let's kick their backsides

Top Bottom