Thargoid Attacks: Where, When and What you can do about it

6 incursions in the Witch Head nebula todayView attachment 138551

I'd like to apologise for the invasion of LC-V C2-10. I liberated 4 meta alloys from dwarf planet A4 on Tuesday. I would have taken them all but I only had a 4 slot cargo bay.

I fink I stirred up a hornet's nest.

Sorry for all the subsequent death and destruction.

Currently on my way to California nebula with a 64 slot cargo bay that I fitted at Merope after sacrificing a HRP. Think I'd best get it filled up with meta alloy before next Thurday's tick....

Cmdr, I believe that lorewise you just might be right, but then, do what? After all this is a game and if I do not engage the Thargoids or the gameplay around them, what to do?
[snip]
Yes Cmdr Oaktree, you are right - it is a game. A game FDev is playing with us, neither against us nor are they ruling us. They leave us here with our free will to do what we want to do. They only give the frame, we are filling it.

David Braben gave us his word that players can influence and change the course of the game. I'll take him up on that.

And yes, you are also right: there is lore in this game, of course. One fine piece among others is the Holdstock Report where the Cabal against humankind is laid-out in detail. You ask me what to do? My answer is: to start to defend us against our real enemies: exactly the ones who have initiated the war in the Witch Head Nebula for only their own purpose and sake. We should start a Revolution against Sirius Corp and others and free the Bubble from this betrayal of humankind.

Remember: everytime an independent Cmdr looses his ship - he dies. At the end - how many brave Cmdr will be killed because of the interests of AEGIS and the Superpowers? Hundreds? Thousands? Ah yes - killing Thargoids is fun, I forgot.

Thargday 25. July 2019: Witch Head Nebula: this is not your war!!

This morning a massive presence of Thargoids in 6 systems in the Witch Head Nebula is reported.

Again this confirms what is described in detail in the Holdstock Report: humanity is played off by AEGIS and the Club against the Thargoids!

What are independent Cmdr currently doing in the Witch Head Nebula? They're stealing the Thargoids' resources for AEGIS. AEGIS and the club call and lure and many have flown there, "for a handful of credits". The Thargoids don't want that and defend themselves. Rightly so? I mean yes. Witch Head is not a human settlement area and does not belong to the Bubble. And remember, we can win small battles against the Thargs, but not war. Elite Dangerous isn't just only about pewpew, explosions and killing. Elite Dangerous has a storyline and the independent Cmdr would be better off following it.

AEGIs and the club exclusively pursue their own goals and accept the annihilation of mankind.

Cmdrs, wake up! Don't fight in Witch Head! Withdraw from there! Remember!
Totally agree! As far as I'm concerned, Witch head is their turf. Let them keep their barnacles there.
I appreciate the same argument could be made of the Pleiades, but that's rather too close to home, so I say we hold onto that.

Oaktree
What else could you do? Fight them in The Pleiades! :)

Oaktree
What else could you do? Fight them in The Pleiades! :)

Yeah, I fought them plenty in the Pleiades, but their "Incursion state" is always massive there, they dont leave. They really enjoy being there, in our favorite Greek Mythology place!

Now, a question about the Incursions in the Witch Head Nebula. The Megaships, both Rescue and Aegis, offer missions to take out Thargoids for the same system they are in, and kills count everywhere you take them! In AX CZs, NHSSs or of course the signal source where they tell us to go. This is something that as been asked to FD for years to work this way. But since I havent done any Incursion lately is this a recent behaviour or has it been like this for some time now?
Anyway, thanks FD for listening to us! Now just tweak the Infestation mode too if they ever come back!

I made an analysis of Thargoid presence in Witch Head. It's easy to see that this area shows analogies with the Pleiades, as NHSS appear in systems that are not under an active incursion nor, to the best of our knowledge, under a pending incursion state. I consequently assumed it follows the same rules of the Pleiades "bubble", i.e., a spherical area centered around a system within the nebula. I first tried the easy way, i.e., locating a Thargoid Sensor in a NHSS within the Witch Head in the hope that it pointed to the center of the area, but they still point to Merope (whether this is deliberate, or fdev didn't bother to update them is open for discussion).
So, I reverted to the "manual" approach and surveyed a number of systems moving from the nebula towards the "outside" until I found systems that were not spawning NHSS. In most directions, this coincides with the border of col70 (or a few LYs from it). Once I got enough systems, I calculated an approximate center and looked for nearby systems. This led to identifying that the Witch Head Thargoid Bubble is centered on:

Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 and has a radius of 75Ly

The system's extremely dull (no landables, mostly ice balls) but shows a massive Thargoid presence (>100 signals).

Here's a list of the systems I surveyed manually, along with their distance from Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 and the presence of NHSS:
Code:
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LI-S b4-0: 65.32Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector DQ-Y c2: 59.05Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JN-S b4-0: 71.58Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HR-W d1-6: 73.23Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AQ-P b5-0: 62.62Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-11: 57.48Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RU-O b6-0: 97.41Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GG-Y c1: 65.63Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector MI-S b4-0: 47.16Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CB-W b2-0: 76.80Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JC-V c2-2: 71.86Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VO-Q b5-0: 93.77Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KN-K b8-0: 89.15Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector OT-Q b5-0: 71.98Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> HIP 23370: 62.63Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RD-S b4-0: 56.43Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector ZK-O b6-0: 51.46Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VU-O b6-0: 61.70Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EG-Y d5: 75.87Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HW-W b1-0: 67.13Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VJ-Q b5-0: 67.91Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector BL-X b1-0: 71.25Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LC-V c2-7: 44.05Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-5: 54.03Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AA-Z b0: 72.25Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GC-L b8-0: 100.39Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IH-V c2-3: 64.44Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector MN-S b4-0: 68.20Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector AF-Z b0: 82.09Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d12: 76.82Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-V b2-0: 60.35Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector ZE-A d12: 78.72Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector VU-P b5-0: 76.59Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector TU-O b6-0: 69.81Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CW-M b7-0: 77.13Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector QI-S b4-0: 75.23Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector QD-T b3-0: 65.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector IX-K b8-0: 85.36Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KI-S b4-0: 72.11Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-W c1-6: 35.35Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector RI-T b3-0: 30.73Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WT-A b0: 86.82Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WZ-P b5-0: 38.23Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GW-W c1-1: 21.30Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector YE-A d9: 87.26Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d13: 71.39Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EB-X c1-8: 49.76Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector KS-K b8-0: 95.11Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EB-X c1-0: 66.98Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector LH-V b2-0: 41.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector UD-T b3-0: 61.68Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector PI-S b4-0: 60.87Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector PI-T c3-0: 110.28Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector EM-M b7-0: 64.14Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector YE-A d12: 56.73Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector DL-Y d12: 59.97Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector JM-W d1-6: 71.69Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector XP-O b6-0: 64.62Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector WU-O b6-0: 73.84Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CL-Y d7: 72.26Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector GH-M b7-0: 74.37Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector HH-U b3-0: 78.29Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-1: 76.80Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-2: 72.95Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FB-X c1-3: 60.68Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FG-Y d15: 66.31Ly: Yes
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector FG-Y d14: 76.33Ly: No
Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 -> Witch Head Sector CG-X b1-0: 80.96Ly: No
This result has been further confirmed by data collected through Canonn's EDMC Plugin (thanks to @LCU No Fool Like One for the late night data extraction):
List of systems with NHSS in a 400Ly range from Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9
unknown.png

TODO:
Since the freefloater TS found in a NHSS T5 in Witch Head pointed to Merope, I'd be curious of seeing if a TP would behave the same (i.e., still point to merope 5c and use that as a reference system). My guess is yes, as it would be a rather massive pain in the ass to upgrade and probably not worth it - but if anyone has a spare one and wants to test it I'd be happy to know the result :)
20190726212704_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Redden :cool:, although I think it would be appreciated more in the Thargoid Data thread :) (I've quoted your post there already ;)).
Anyone checked for Thargoid Structures in the WHS bubble?

Nice work Redden :cool:, although I think it would be appreciated more in the Thargoid Data thread :) (I've quoted your post there already ;)).
Anyone checked for Thargoid Structures in the WHS bubble?

I believe there are a few, I am no explorer. I have radiowave scanned it on the thing. Everything had already got first dibs on it already, discovered and scanned. I had no buggy so I couldn't go for a look. Did have Thargoid bits popping up in a few places though.

In laymans terms, 2/3 of the way from the lowest broken station to the second highest broken station. Possibly with some drunkenness added.

o7

A few Thargoid structures? Did you at least go near a planet to confirm that? (via the contact list/POIs).

Redden alt mer
I assume Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 doesn't have an Ammonia world or a GG with ammon based life?
Preparing to head out there & search for goid structures btw :)

Last edited:
A few Thargoid structures? Did you at least go near a planet to confirm that? (via the contact list/POIs).

Redden alt mer
I assume Witch Head Sector IR-W c1-9 doesn't have an Ammonia world or a GG with ammon based life?
Preparing to head out there & search for goid structures btw :)

Yep, I scanned the planets, and in the contact list, some had bio, some had human, a few (3-4) had thargoid. The planets had all been previously scanned by other CMDR's. Good luck A1.

o7

Ok thanks, but I'm confused now, if you'd scanned the planets with the surface probes you would get either 'barnacles' or 'Thargoid structure*', if you only FSS scanned them you would get just 'Thargoid' in the scan results. Either way, worth investigating :), do you know the system names?

Btw, I don't know what you mean by highest or lowest broken station, (high or low what? repair needs? or star position?).

Sorry, I understand I have not been very clear, i mean highest on the galactic plane. I arrived at the "bottom one" then decided to do rescue mission in an Imperial system to boost rank (still no cutter for me lol) and moved up to the second highest station on the galactic plane.
my dolphin does about 25lys, it was two jumps, the second one being shorter than the first.
I can only apologise for my terrible directions, I was sampling the Leesti Evil Juice, I don't bother much with exploring really.

Good luck dude, let me know if its Raxxla :)

o7

Nope sorry, using a proper pants laptop to keep abreast of matters, dude to a welding all day in 37C then going in the kids paddling pool with my mobile in my pocket, long story lol. RL is all hectic atm, in 6 days I have the house to myself for a week. But tomorrow I have to go back to a gypsy camp to do more work, trying VERY hard to not set fire to anything or upset anyone!
Stuff to do tonight as well, damn you to hell RL I want to fly spaceships and blow up Aliens.

o7

Nope sorry, using a proper pants laptop to keep abreast of matters, dude to a welding all day in 37C then going in the kids paddling pool with my mobile in my pocket, long story lol. RL is all hectic atm, in 6 days I have the house to myself for a week. But tomorrow I have to go back to a gypsy camp to do more work, trying VERY hard to not set fire to anything or upset anyone!
Stuff to do tonight as well, damn you to hell RL I want to fly spaceships and blow up Aliens.

o7
RL is OP!

FDev please nerf!

Hmm, interesting, although I've only tested this from the Witch Head side of the Pleiades bubble, it seems the range at which NHSS occur from Merope has dropped from 175 LYs to 100 LYs!

Hmm, interesting, although I've only tested this from the Witch Head side of the Pleiades bubble, it seems the range at which NHSS occur from Merope has dropped from 175 LYs to 100 LYs!

I noticed the same going from Merope to the bubble. I also noticed the number of NHSSs in a system drops significantly further away from Merope.

So about a 100 LYs cut off towards the bubble too then? The NHSS tail off going away from Merope has always been there AFAIK, but obviously it's happening in a shorter distance now.

Top Bottom