thargoid base investigation.... Very cool!

Should be on in 5. Send me a FR if interested and can get to the base for around 10pm. If you get there sooner that is cool too

in mobius

Last edited:
I go to the alien ships quite regularly and rob them blind, then usually kill everything and rob the dead...hope I haven't upset them or anything.......

Standing by the old "rogue" addage "Whatever is not nailed down is mine. What I can pry loose is not nailed down" - learned that back in Ultima and EQ :)

ah here's where that came from - https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/11/26/not-nailed-down/

Last edited:
Hi

nice meeting the 2 guys who I met online. I MAY be able to get on tomorrow similar time for 30 mins but no promises as have to get ready for hols.

double bonus a thargoid ship came down to the planet afterwards and performed a ground scan so it was worth it for that.

the unknown link bugged out so I had to do that in solo but it worked out in the end. sorry if anyone visited but did not sync with my instance, I was there :)

A trip well worth it, indeed. Even without any UA, my visit and tour in the SRV was the most atmospheric experience I've had in Elite. On my second visit, to an active site a few days later in Mobius, another CMDR was on-site and graciously let me follow along.

Excellent work by all who helped to create the sights and sounds of these Thargoid sites. [up]

Just a thought...

Has anybody tried putting three Ancient Relics in the Thargoid map machine, all at the same time? [where is it]

I thought I should do this before 2.4 just incase the thargoids become hostile in 2.4 and do not let us enter their base so easily. It took me maybe 2 hrs to get the UP and UA and then another hr to do the mission, but that part was pure pleasure exploring around etc.... also the vanity camera was quite nice for getting some good views inside the base. The feeling of scale as ever in Vr was amazing.

TLDR its well worth doing before 2.4. sure, chances are nothing will change and we will still be able to do this later... but if not you will be missing some nice content so anyone not seen it yet, I strongly recommend it.

It is very cool but once done it starts to lose that edge do it 3 more times and let us know as nothing changes. Maybe if an actual Thargoid blew my A to pieces then that would be cool

@777Driver I tried to reply to your PM however your inbox is full.

message as follows regarding meeting up at thargoid base!.

"no problem. I am not sure if i can get on or not again tonight but if i can i will. either send me a friend request and i can message you, or keep an eye on the forum and i will pm you if i manage to get on. (if you have emptied your messages)

the thargoid ground encounter i had last night was a real unexpected treat which alone made it worth while. its so cool in VR."

I'm parked up just outside the ruins currently, with artefact and probe. So, if anyone wants to take a look at the map later on today, feel free to add me in-game. Open or Mobius is fine for me (I travelled here in Open, no issues at all - only friendly encounters). I haven't seen the map yet, and got over here yesterday as someone else requested it - however, I was too late for that one.

I'm at the same ruins that Mike has listed in this thread (once again, thanks for the concise info - it was perfect timing).

but basically go in the base, drop the ua on the correct slab in the centre of the base (3 ramps, drive up each one and when you see the hologram of the UA then drop it there.

then go back to the "chamber" with the unknown scanner, and with the UP in your hold scan it... then 3 unknown links drop down. you can shoot 2 of them for materials, then collect the 3rd (shoot it a few times to get to drop to the floor) then return to the centre of the base, and drop both the UP and the new UL onto the correct slaps, then scan the centre of the monolith type thing and watch.

Is the order in which you do this important? I just tried and failed to get a UL. :) However, I hadn't dropped the UA into the machine first of all - I just went along with the UP in my hold and scanned the unknown scanner in the chamber. Nothing happened. I did then go and drop the UA on the slab and scan the other two scanners, but still nothing. So, I dropped the UP on the slab, scanned the device, and have collected both the UA and UP again.

So, I'm still parked up outside and haven't seen the lightshow!

I'll try again shortly.

Is the order in which you do this important? I just tried and failed to get a UL. :) However, I hadn't dropped the UA into the machine first of all - I just went along with the UP in my hold and scanned the unknown scanner in the chamber. Nothing happened. I did then go and drop the UA on the slab and scan the other two scanners, but still nothing. So, I dropped the UP on the slab, scanned the device, and have collected both the UA and UP again.

So, I'm still parked up outside and haven't seen the lightshow!

I'll try again shortly.

are you doing in solo? if not then there. last night i was in a group and the UL did not drop. its a known bug, so, i put my UA into the hold of my ship... logged into solo (interestingly ships voice coms dont go down once you quit to menu and change modes)

i then drove into the base with JUST the UP, the UL did drop down as it was meant to then... picked it up, went out side, logged back into mobius now with all 3 items and we then activated the light show. more convoluted than it should have been but it would not be elite without a few broken mechanicis :D

edit oh and for some reason, one of the guys in my instance when we did have all 3 of the items, he was trying to help by dropping one of them into the machine, and it was hit and miss whether the machine would take them off him. a few times i had to pick up the ua / up / ul or what ever he was trying to put in, and do that one as well.. dunno if it was because it was "my" instance bubble that he joined or what....... but it worked for me all the time.

edit, on another thread on the front page another poster suggests, when ever you want to do the light show, once you turn on and log in, before you do anything else, once you are landed outside the base, log out and log back inagain

and he claims the UL should always fall then. worth a try at least :) (courtesy of CMDR MadRaptor)

Last edited:
i then drove into the base with JUST the UP, the UL did drop down as it was meant to then...

Ah, will try that. I didn't know that you could get in with the UP (thought that needed the UA). I'll also try in Solo. I have two corrosion resistant cargo racks, so can keep all three items when I get them.

Ah, will try that. I didn't know that you could get in with the UP (thought that needed the UA). I'll also try in Solo. I have two corrosion resistant cargo racks, so can keep all three items when I get them.

up or ua get you in, up is needed to get the ul

and all 3 are needed to turn on the light show (star map?)

oh and apparently if you have a guardian relic and put that in it does interesting things but i have not seen that yet

Last edited:
Confirmed, and now got the UL. :) No need to scan anything, but Solo mode definitely helps.

FWIW, the thing with scanning the uplink can't be right because, as with all persistent beacons (at surface outposts and places like Dav's Hope etc), once you've scanned them once you just get the"You've already done that, dummy" noise if you try to scan them again.

FWIW, the thing with scanning the uplink can't be right because, as with all persistent beacons (at surface outposts and places like Dav's Hope etc), once you've scanned them once you just get the"You've already done that, dummy" noise if you try to scan them again.

its one of 2 things... either you DONT need to scan it at all... and if you have a UP the UL just drops down automatically IF IT WORKS.... OR you DO need to scan it once, and then from that point on every time you go in the room with a UP, the ULs drop down from the roof.

its hard for me to be sure without more people trying (which am sure canon have and its in there somewhere) because it did bug out the 1st time i did it.

Sorry i did not get on last night if anyone happened to be in mobius waiting... as i said it was not a certainty last night (I had my balls busted for going on on monday) and real life got in the way last night.

thats it for me now. if all goes to plan on frontiers side the next time i log in to the game will be 2.4. until then i shall be drinking beers in Majorca from tomorrow :)

EDIT
oh FGS!

turns out i will probably be around this weekend after all. my holiday just got postponed. :(
oh well......

Last edited:
Top Bottom