Thargoid Data Gathering Effort: We need your help!

Hey OP - have you PMed the mods to ask for this to be sticky? I think I submitted all but maybe 2 of the data points today - surely if we can get this post some notice we can get some more info. I find it hard to believe that no-one else is willing to submit info, but they have to be able to find the form in the first place.

Do you know to which mod user should I PM?

I posted the follwing the Xenobiology thread:-

Two more from my encounters yesterday. Both were from hyperdictions by Thargoid Bob and friend.

#1:
GvdLGhS.jpg

#2:
sP0581u.jpg

Thank you so much to the mods!

On a side note: I contacted mighty cmdr Piranha who will try to implement the same 3d map we firstly used in the thargoid hyperdiction for this data. We should be able to see in 3d how the thargoid contacts evolve in time.

Just a side note: After scanning a Thargoid wake and then trying to jump with it still selected will result in an aborted jump due to malfunctioning. I guess our drives can't even try to emulate the Thargoid jumps at all.

Just a side note: After scanning a Thargoid wake and then trying to jump with it still selected will result in an aborted jump due to malfunctioning. I guess our drives can't even try to emulate the Thargoid jumps at all.
A test I wanted to do but I was too lazy to go get a wake scanner, did you have a xeno scanner when you scanned the wake?

Just a thought... Those markings and their difference, but similarity kinda resemble (to me) our very own combat (trade, exploration) ranks and the vinyls that we can put on our ships. With the more details and circles, the higher the rank.

Hey awesome, thanks to whoever got this stickied! :p

I have a question for all you who've been encountering our new spiral space friends: do thargoid encounters get logged in the PlayerJournal files in any recognizable manner? I was out near Colonia when 2.4 dropped and haven't been able to play enough to get back to the bubble yet, or I'd check myself. I'm just wondering if people's journal logs might be an untapped data source we could use to populate the spreadsheet.

(For the record, I don't think this idea should run afoul of Canonn's proscription on info obtained thru data mining, since AFAIK the Journal only logs data available to you in-game, as it becomes available.)

Hey awesome, thanks to whoever got this stickied! :p

I have a question for all you who've been encountering our new spiral space friends: do thargoid encounters get logged in the PlayerJournal files in any recognizable manner? I was out near Colonia when 2.4 dropped and haven't been able to play enough to get back to the bubble yet, or I'd check myself. I'm just wondering if people's journal logs might be an untapped data source we could use to populate the spreadsheet.

(For the record, I don't think this idea should run afoul of Canonn's proscription on info obtained thru data mining, since AFAIK the Journal only logs data available to you in-game, as it becomes available.)

The drops into USS are logged, but not the markings

The drops into USS are logged, but not the markings
Thanks for answering. Even without info on the markings, having precisely time-stamped and location-stamped records of the USS drops could tell us something. If nothing else, it means the ability to collect data from before the spreadsheet became active

Thargoids stink!

Hello Cmdrs,

Happy to help sciencing the sh.. out of the Thargoids!

I modified my old Hyperdiction mapper to visualize the new data we got from M. Volgrands spreadsheets.
The first version is ready now, but i'll update it sooner or later because not everything is working as intended ;)

The app shows all Thargoid activities as a heatmap, aswell as Hyperdictions between systems (shown as connecting lines).
You can scubb the timeslider to see the activities evolving (not working for Hyperdictions yet).

RgXEsVQ.jpg

ThargoidMapper is done in Unity and Windows only, you can download it from dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubas1lvwf5smf5n/ED_ThargoidMapper.zip?dl=0

Just unpack und run.

If you want to modify the databases, here is a description:

After installing, locate the following path:

ED_ThargoidMapper\ED_ThargoidMapper_Data\special\

There are the following files:

referenceSystems.tsv: Here you can add systems that are always included. Does not do much at the moment.
externalSystems.tsv: All system informations for this app is gathered from EDDB, but not all systems are included in this database. Here you can add additional systems by name and position
import_ThargoidInteractions.tsv: This is the Activities spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.
import_ThargoidHyperdictions.tsv: This is the Hyperdiction spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.

All we need now is YOU to gather more information and add it to the spreadsheets!

Cheers!

Hello Cmdrs,

Happy to help sciencing the sh.. out of the Thargoids!

I modified my old Hyperdiction mapper to visualize the new data we got from M. Volgrands spreadsheets.
The first version is ready now, but i'll update it sooner or later because not everything is working as intended ;)

The app shows all Thargoid activities as a heatmap, aswell as Hyperdictions between systems (shown as connecting lines).
You can scubb the timeslider to see the activities evolving (not working for Hyperdictions yet).

https://i.imgur.com/RgXEsVQ.jpg

ThargoidMapper is done in Unity and Windows only, you can download it from dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubas1lvwf5smf5n/ED_ThargoidMapper.zip?dl=0

Just unpack und run.

If you want to modify the databases, here is a description:

After installing, locate the following path:

ED_ThargoidMapper\ED_ThargoidMapper_Data\special\

There are the following files:

referenceSystems.tsv: Here you can add systems that are always included. Does not do much at the moment.
externalSystems.tsv: All system informations for this app is gathered from EDDB, but not all systems are included in this database. Here you can add additional systems by name and position
import_ThargoidInteractions.tsv: This is the Activities spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.
import_ThargoidHyperdictions.tsv: This is the Hyperdiction spreadsheet exported directly from the Google-Spreadsheat.

All we need now is YOU to gather more information and add it to the spreadsheets!

Cheers!

Awesome thanks! :cool:, pity we can't have EDDi feed the information on NHSS locations directly into the database :).

Unfortunately it doesn't run, instant crash with a crash log, where should I send the logs?
Btw Win7 64 bit here, partial rig spec in sig.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it doesn't run, instant crash with a crash log, where should I send the logs?
Btw Win7 64 bit here, partial rig spec in sig.

Damn.. why does this always happen? ;)

in the "ED_ThargoidMapper\ED_ThargoidMapper_Data" folder, there should be an "output_log.txt" file. if you could pm me this one, i'll check whats causing this.

Damn.. why does this always happen? ;)

in the "ED_ThargoidMapper\ED_ThargoidMapper_Data" folder, there should be an "output_log.txt" file. if you could pm me this one, i'll check whats causing this.

Done, thanks for quick reply :) (btw I'll be off soon to actually play ED rather than just talk about it ;), but PM if need be & I'll reply later).

Last edited:
It would be very easy to write a plugin for EDMC to log all non human USS sightings to a webserver.

EDMC provides a system and body on every event

There is specific USSDrop event I think it is triggered when you drop out of supercruise at a USS
{ "timestamp":"2017-10-03T21:09:09Z", "event":"USSDrop", "USSType":"$USS_Type_NonHuman;", "USSType_Localised":"Non-Human signal source", "USSThreat":5 }

All we need is a web server to log the events in a database and provide a URL with that accepts parameters eg. http://www.canonn.net/usslog?timestamp=2017-10-03T21:09:09Z&USSType=$USS_Type_NonHuman&USSType_Localised-Non-Human signal source&USSThreat-5

Then Bob's your uncle. It would all get logged and all that commanders would need to do is identify USS and drop in on them.

Thank you very much Piranha!

Don't have much time tonight (I spent it actually playing :p), but checking your map I realize there is a very long jump with hyperdiction there. I need to check if that was actually possible or if it may be an error.

Will update the OP tomorrow. See ya!

Top Bottom