thargoid info

so, ive been doing some testing this morning to find out some things that will be useful to us all i hope.

its not to much atm but il update this if i find out more.

the info i put here will be more about how to help you survive and encounter than it will be how to kill the bloody things (dont think we can till we get the new gun any way)

so to the info.

1. turns out the goids are slow, real slow, every one i have come across so far have only been able to reach a speed of about 350 ish however they move like a kinda squid (in a burst of speed then gliding till doing another burst) so they tend to go from 280 ish to 350 ish, so if you can do maybe 330-350 most of the time you should be able to out run then after a while (would recommend clipper personally)

2. while they do hurt your hull even with shields online they do still do less DMG when you have a good shield online, so dont go removing them yet in order to gain speed, once your shield goes however it is time to leave, they do A LOT more DMG once you have no shields.

3. the little fighters they send out seem to "die" after a certain amount of time or if you get a certain distance away from them im unsure as to witch one of these is right yet as it is very hard to tell (could be both)

4. the little fighters seem to me do do more hull DMG than the goid its self when you have shields online so it would stand to reason that if you want to stick around to check out the goid for longer, get rid of the small fighter like things first

5. as far as i can tell, they can only launch one volley of the fighters, in the 20 or so times i have encounter a goid, they have only ever sent the fighters after me once per encounter

6. if you dont get to close the goid, it will only scan you then go about its business, so far getting close seems to be there big no no

7. so far, every item i have taken them has not seemed to annoy them, i have only tried a few, thargoid sensers (the new name for UA) a few meta alloys (although when i dropped them they did come back and pick it up) and some poop just for fun (they didn't care even a bit)

8.also as a bonus, you can actually sick a repair limpet to a goid, it doesnt seem to do anything but hey it there XD (shown at 3:40 in the clip at the bottom)

9.just a small tip, put a repair limpet on yourself before going after a goid, that way you have self healing while taking a look at him XD

10. locking on to the smaller "thargon" swarm is possible however even with 2 pack hound launchers killing them is not possible every thing just seems to bounce of them

here is a clip i took while testing, its just footage of a goid chasing my clipper, but it does show how cool they look :D http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/rhyyysss/video/37092993

if you find out anything else then let me know :D

P.S thanks for moving this to the right place :)

Last edited:
Excellent work commander! I'm going to cross post this over on the Canonn thread ('cos it seems like the sort of good solid info they'd love).

I have one more thing to add to your research notes ... they can't be refuelled as far as I can tell.

[video=youtube_share;4Zk4zAXiQXc]https://youtu.be/4Zk4zAXiQXc[/video]

Excellent work commander! I'm going to cross post this over on the Canonn thread ('cos it seems like the sort of good solid info they'd love).

I have one more thing to add to your research notes ... they can't be refuelled as far as I can tell.

nice XD

only reason i didnt post this in cannon is because i prefer to just stay on the xbox sub, less general noise going about, as long as i get credit for the info (got to pump that ego) then post it where ever you feel bud XD

Deploying a fighter is a good way of distracting the Tharglets I found, they were chasing my SDF around for ages, takes some of the pressure off.

(Which is lucky as I had forgotten to close my cargo scoop and was panicking thinking the Thargoid had disabled my boost).

Last edited:
7. so far, every item i have taken them has not seemed to annoy them, i have only tried a few, thargoid sensers (the new name for UA) a few meta alloys (although when i dropped them they did come back and pick it up) and some poop just for fun (they didn't care even a bit)

The best scientific experiments always include poop. Good job :)

I was about to make my own post with some of the same things lol!

*Speed confirmed; my python with grade 5 dd's goes 354 with a boost of 460ish and it smokes them, but my video is uploading to show how they boost and cannot close the gap.

*Thargon swarm confirmed only one, however they do not die but go really slow compared to the launching vessel- go back towards the area you started the encounter and they'll be there 'swarmin'

*Having a Thargoid Sensor has made them angry at me I think? Every other time I dropped in, even with tissue sample, they'd leave me alone if I froze as you suggested. However the last 3 I dropped into while having a sensor in my probe it's like they paused and waited for me to give it back and once I didn't they got angry.

*The swarms are Thargons; watching a multicrew video yesterday showed that when the gunner would target them it'd briefly show Thargon Swarm and Thargoid Interceptor i believe. I'll try to find it but it was a Cutter and one of the first few uploaded.

*As seen in my video, at least right now they're nothing short of annoying as far as damage goes. I could literally sit there for a very long time without dying if I chose to do so. I did originally believe that the Thargon were able to do the module damage through shields (confirming in my video that the Thargoid does not), but this might have been the tissue sample before i went and threw a corrosive resistant rack in. Further investigation required.

The video is a little boring, I was testing the speed and boosts and stuff like maneuvering, collision avoidance, accuracy ,etc... for my own personal knowledge. But also wanted to share it.

[video=youtube;8-VJxQYlpG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-VJxQYlpG8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like good shields are important because even though you are taking hull damage, you aren't taking module damage and your shields do lessen the damage taken to your armor. That changes when your shields are down though and you start to drop like a rock.

There is only one wave of Thargons to my knowledge like it's been said but they can be outrun a lot more easily than the Thargoid itself. The Thargoid itself is easy to outrun with thrusters as well though so it's not too hard to escape if you are in a decently fast ship. So once your shields drop, put all your pips into engines and boost the hell out of there.

They have been known to regen the swarm, pd's take out the missiles the main ship launches if you really annoy it - it always launches a pair of seekers - make range and pd will take them out.
I actually found a class 2 Alien USS with just a Thargoid and a Probe in it - boy, did he not like me taking that :p
Pic of Thargoid at barnacle "forest" - didn't aggro

He absolutely should've done- I went on to strip the place bare - I really should be locked up by some sort of war crimes tribunal when this is over, I'll plead depriving the enemy of resources but, if the servers hadn't been coming down who knows when the slaughter of poor scavengers might have ended.

They have been known to regen the swarm, pd's take out the missiles the main ship launches if you really annoy it - it always launches a pair of seekers - make range and pd will take them out.
I actually found a class 2 Alien USS with just a Thargoid and a Probe in it - boy, did he not like me taking that :p
Pic of Thargoid at barnacle "forest" - didn't aggro
http://i.imgur.com/8cQ8mNw.png

He absolutely should've done- I went on to strip the place bare - I really should be locked up by some sort of war crimes tribunal when this is over, I'll plead depriving the enemy of resources but, if the servers hadn't been coming down who knows when the slaughter of poor scavengers might have ended.

Thanks for the new background; this is one of the nicest screenies I've seen.

Great info, thanks OP.

I have one small issue, I now have a nice tissue sample but, no idea what to do with it now that's it's slowly eating it's way through my cargo hold. Any clues what is the best thing to do with these storyline wise as opposed to profit as I am sure I could sell it on the black market for a fair chunk of cash.

Pulled a Thargoid down from a NHSS that spawned just above OC range, down to planetary surface. Initial testing shows that NHSS spawn as low as 700 km above surface. Couldn't get one anywhere lower than that. On a rock with circa 1300 km radius, the Thargoid ship stopped chasing me at 160 km and proceeded to back up to leave until I reduced range, after which he resumed chase but refused to go any lower.

FOKWSTP.jpg

K,well im new to this so with regards to point 1) 1mk in 34 '': 2mk in 1' 27''.Hope that makes sense.

with regards to attack patterns.signal source appeared to launch outrider, which flew a hook manoeuvre,did a close approach flyby but did not release weapons.
Dominant signal source released weapons whilst shepherding and passing too close.(different encounter).Damage incurred 72%.Single strike.No shields.standard hull.(dbs)

Top Bottom