Thargoid Interactions

I'd say it's moderately rare, I've been hyperdicted about 2 dozen times, & only once did I have 4 interceptors :eek:, that was a few weeks ago or so.

2 dozen times?! Man thats a lot!
Do you carry a lightning rod/thargoid cargo at all times? ;-)
I have been busy in the bubble, about time i started “interacting” with thargoids again.

o7

Heheh, they like doggie biscuits! ;)

Joking aside, I often spend months at a time in the Pleiades, either searching systems for new Thargoid Structures, searching for new candidate TS systems, scanning the goids in NHSS & then rescuing pods from under the goids nose's :D, mapping where in the Pleiades the NHSS are (not counting ones adjacent to invasions. They are upto 175 LYs from Merope, not 166), ferrying cargo to damaged stations & occasionally visiting the engineer there (Palin?).
My 1st hyperdiction was 21-4-17 & I had 4 in a row!! :eek: (I logged out in the end to stop anymore), & that was just ~1/2hr or so after picking up a Thargoid probe (although I had once briefly before). I find most hyperdictions happen when I cross the Thargoid 'border', roughly 150 LYs from Merope, IIRC! Almost never have Thargoid cargo.
Just counted them (I record a video each time, though I may have missed the odd one), 21 hyperdictions, so a little less than 2 dozen ;)

Last edited:
I had some interesting Thargoid encounters and was wondering if anyone can confirm this behavior. I collected a couple of tons of meta-alloys and then went to see how the Interceptors would respond. To my surprise there was barely any response. Not even a deployment of Thargons. Here are video links to two separate instances:

Source: https://youtu.be/OACIW7dfOz4

Source: https://youtu.be/WeycFJOTeFk
Entirely normal. The Thargoid reaction to having meta-alloys is actually "More positive" than if you have no cargo... see the videos in the below link (which I'm just about to fix)... also pulled them here for convenience

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/thargoid-cargo-reactions-revisited.398834/

Meta-alloys. Note... the deployment of Thargons in the below is not actually normal[1]

Nothing on board.

Note the higher pitch, almost happier noise from the Thargoid in the meta alloy video, compared to the "nothing" video.

[1] At the time of that video, which is nearly a year old now,, Thargoids would maintain a "distance" to your ship, which is "closer" than the distance the Thargoid usually threatens you with Thargons for being too close. The trigger for the Thargoid deploying Thargons in that video is the "interest in your cargo" timing out, and the "breached proximity warning" kicking in.

These days, the Thargoids are not as quick to respond to a breach of that range. Whether that is of interest or not I don't know... personally I don't think it is as the "crazy spinning" bug of the Thargoids was also introduced shortly after that video, then removed, though Thargoids don't "maintain distance" when holding interesting cargo at all now (afaik)

Last edited:
Note the higher pitch, almost happier noise from the Thargoid in the meta alloy video, compared to the "nothing" video.

[1] At the time of that video, which is nearly a year old now,, Thargoids would maintain a "distance" to your ship, which is "closer" than the distance the Thargoid usually threatens you with Thargons for being too close. The trigger for the Thargoid deploying Thargons in that video is the "interest in your cargo" timing out, and the "breached proximity warning" kicking in.

These days, the Thargoids are not as quick to respond to a breach of that range. Whether that is of interest or not I don't know... personally I don't think it is as the "crazy spinning" bug of the Thargoids was also introduced shortly after that video, then removed, though Thargoids don't "maintain distance" when holding interesting cargo at all now (afaik)

Thanks for clarifying. So then the main change in their behavior in the past year is that they no longer maintain the initial distance after they scan you. And because of that their reactions are more clearly recognizable.

Hi. I am trying to access Palin so naturally I have to go through Thargoid home worlds in the pleiades nebula. I don't want to attack thargoids, even if they attack me, I will (at least try) to run. My questions are:
1. At the moment every time I drop in a NHSS (Max threat level I choose to is 3 - I haven't seen anyone with a lower threat level), I can not scan any of the small thargoid ships which are usually in the area. On the left hand side it sais uknown and displays numbers like binary code. I am using a DBX. What am I doing wrong?
2. Palins mission the one at Maia Obsidian starport does it require killing thargoids to complete?
3. In general is it possible to interact with the Thatgoids in a non-hostile way?

Hi. I am trying to access Palin so naturally I have to go through Thargoid home worlds in the pleiades nebula. I don't want to attack thargoids, even if they attack me, I will (at least try) to run. My questions are:
1. At the moment every time I drop in a NHSS (Max threat level I choose to is 3 - I haven't seen anyone with a lower threat level), I can not scan any of the small thargoid ships which are usually in the area. On the left hand side it sais uknown and displays numbers like binary code. I am using a DBX. What am I doing wrong?
2. Palins mission the one at Maia Obsidian starport does it require killing thargoids to complete?
3. In general is it possible to interact with the Thatgoids in a non-hostile way?
1. You need the Xeno Scanner: https://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/equipment/utility/xeno-scanner/0e
2. Nope, just go hit up crashed scout sites. https://canonn.science/codex/crashed-thargoid-scout/ there's three known crash sites.
3. You need to go to NHSS where only interceptors spawn (i.e no scouts). This means you need to go to NHSS 5 or above. Your best bet is to go to NHSS in the Pleiades, although some will still spawn scouts above NHSS 5. Your interactions will be limited to:
  • Scanning them,
  • Dropping meta alloys for them
They will turn hostile (eventually, in some cases) if you have:
  • Thargoid/Guardian cargo on board, unless you drop the offending cargo.
  • Attack or collide with them
  • Stay within 500m of them
  • Interfere with anything they're trying to scoop on board (Thargoid Items/"Humanoid" cargoes i.e slaves, escape pods etc)
  • Attempt to take a tissue sample (Unless you're silent-running, and stay more than 500m away... they'll still turn hostile but they won't detect you)
Just wondering... do you still need to unlock Palin? You need to provide 25 Thargoid Sensor Fragments to him... and the ways to get them are to either:
  • Blow up Thargoid Scavengers at the Thargoid Structures; or
  • Blow up Thargoid Links/Sensors.
Both these activities will (eventually) have Thargoids turn aggressive towards you. Just shooting the walls of a Thargoid Structure, while seeming to have no in-game effect, causes thargoids to become hostile.

Last edited:
Thank you Jmanis. Yes I want these sensor fragments to unlock Palin but I don't want to shoot at Thargoids. Is there a non-hostile / non-aggressive way to get them?*
Also, since I am in the whereabouts of the pleiades, are there any starports there that sell this xeno-scanner. I think I saw it being sold in Shinrarta but I didn't know it was required..
*This question applies to the Palin's mission as well.

Last edited:
Thank you Jmanis. Yes I want these sensor fragments to unlock Palin but I don't want to shoot at Thargoids. Is there a non-hostile / non-aggressive way to get them?*
Nope, no non-aggressive way to get Sensor Fragments. Destroying Thargoid Sensors/Links or Scavengers is the only way to source them.

Arguably, destroying Thargoid Sensors/Links is "Less aggressive", but it will still trigger hostility in nearby Thargoids. Depends on what your thoughts are about destroying things which are otherwise "just equipment".
Also, since I am in the whereabouts of the pleiades, are there any starports there that sell this xeno-scanner. I think I saw it being sold in Shinrarta but I didn't know it was required..
Xeno Scanner isn't required to unlock Palin... but without one you get that binary number guff in the HUD. Xeno Scanner is only really required to collect Thargoid data scans and to make sense of Thargoid ships.

To answer your question though, just realised the roguey link I put up defaults to Sol, so here's the stations within 50LY of Maia. Note they're all surface bases, in case you don't have Horizons.

*This question applies to the Palin's mission as well.
These can be done non-aggressively by going to those crashed scout ships I linked above. No special equipment besides some CRCRs (if you aren't confident with what you're doing... try my guide out) since they're corrosive and an SRV (to land and scoop the cargo) is needed. Note Interceptors will attack you if they find you with them on board, and you don't drop them once scanned.

Does it always take around a minute for the second one to drop in? Also do we know if this works with anything the Thargoids will chase you for? Sensors/Probes/Links

Interesting that it doesn't seem to pick up the Meta Alloys either, just EMPs you and then waits for the other before jumping out.

What if you dump all known items and combos at once on them? 5 meta and lots of other items of at least 1. Maybe also all those things at guardians sites. Maybe 2 or more of those.

See how they react to massive volumes of them too. Get a cutter full of them and just dump hundreds on them. There could be unique reactions with sufficient quantity! 8)

There could be mechanics similar to how a station used to only take so many items before it had things happen to it. Hell, bring the max amount of cutter with max cargo at once.

Do they react to any of the rare commodities? Like ones associated with thargoids or anything else? If anything there could be easter eggs.

Last edited:
What if you dump all known items and combos at once on them? 5 meta and lots of other items of at least 1. Maybe also all those things at guardians sites. Maybe 2 or more of those.

See how they react to massive volumes of them too. Get a cutter full of them and just dump hundreds on them. There could be unique reactions with sufficient quantity! 8)

There could be mechanics similar to how a station used to only take so many items before it had things happen to it. Hell, bring the max amount of cutter with max cargo at once.

Do they react to any of the rare commodities? Like ones associated with thargoids or anything else? If anything there could be easter eggs.
Preamble: I use the term "Humanoid cargoes" below. I refer to human cargo such as Slaves, Imperial Slaves, Political Prisoners, Master Chefs etc.

Short version, while I don't have video evidence... I've verified the following behaviours:

• Holding multiple cargoes when scanned: Thargoid reaction will be priorities in order of "Hostility", Guardian Items > Thargoid Items > Meta Alloys > Anything else (no reaction).
  • Ejecting multiple cargoes... provided your hold is empty (or they've lost interest in your) they'll react on a cargo-by-cargo basis. Thargoids actually do a "Mini scan" of each cargo-type item in the area... watch closely in this video when the Hydra turns to the Ancient Key. It actually establishes the tractor "tether" then after slight pause, realises what the cargo is and opens fire.
  • The quoted "Minute or so for a second one to drop in" is not the correct measurement. A second Thargoid will drop in after scooping five items of interest in any combination, which are not "humanoid" cargoes. i.e 2 meta alloys, 2 tissue samples and a thargoid heart all dropped at the same time should cause a second Thargoid to jump in, once the 5th item is scooped
  • Non-humanoid items of interest are: Meta Alloys, all tissue samples, Thargoid Hearts, Thargoid Sensor/Probe/Link, and (Thargoid Resin/Tech Sample/Biological Matter)[1]
While Thargoids do not have any reaction to their presence in your cargo hold (they react no differently to if you had an empty cargo hold), they will scoop Humanoid cargoes, however they will not jump in a second Thargoid to help collect them. I speculate on the reasons for this in my thread here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/thargoid-cargo-reactions-revisited.398834/ [2]

For completeness, Humanoid Cargoes refers to:
  • Slaves/Imperial Slaves (Commodity Market Available)
  • Damaged/Intact Escape Pods (Salvage only)
  • Political Prisoners (Powerplay Cargo)
  • Master Chefs (Rare Cargo)
  • Others I haven't listed (the above list is to exempify the different types)
I haven't tried random commodity cargo/other non-humanoid rares, or any exhaustive effort of all cargoes in the game as that would be a very significant amount of effort, particularly for some cargoes (hafnium, for example, which I understand curries no interest). Personally, I tend to investigate leads with some sort of material anchoring (e.g A Thargoid reacts to Tissue Samples, so it might react to other Thargoid Cargoes) rather than look for black cats in dark rooms, and is why exploration has never been my jam.

But if you can/want to try that yourself, fill your boots... definitely not suggesting Thargoids won't react to any other cargo types in known/unknown ways, I just don't have a reason to believe they will.

Tangentially, there was a recent thread about "Filling" Thargoids cargoholds with a cutter... that is they leave before scooping everything.

[1] I need to validate those bracketed cargoes... but I'm 99% confident it's the case.
[2] that thread is also very out of date. I've since verified a lot of things... really, just refer to it at most for the discussion of their noises.

Last edited:
Just went out and verified... apologies for the start of the video missing as I recorded as an afterthought.

Lured in a second Thargoid using six items, being a mix of Thargoid Tech Samples, Resin and Biological Matter.

Has anyone tried flying into that portal before he pops out. There is a lot of time before he exits. Maybe that is part of the point.

He tried to get in an exiting one. What about the entering portal.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmbwx7n6Ys

I'm assuming people have followed the wake.
It spins you out dramatically, just like in that video.

My prediction is one day, when FD wills it, we'll be able to correctly scan a Thargoid Wake (Palin/Ram Tah will have some sort of breakthrough) and follow it through to who knows where. Probably Cone Sector.

Just a follow-up, because why the heck not, I decided to lure a Thargoid with six Thargoid hearts. This was made more problematic when, 3rd or 4th fight, I had an... incident... and lost all my hearts, but got there eventually.

Unsurprisingly, nothing different to baiting one with any other cargo which can do this. Even dumped it at a Hydra, in case it would spawn a mothership (as surely six hearts would be a sign of a threat).

Oh well. I have video, but it's nothing noteworthy. Can post here if needed.

Been playing Elite Dangerous since october 2017 and I had my very first hyperdiction last night. Creeped me out a bit at first and thought I was going to be attacked but nope. Instead, this happened -

Slightly off topic i guess, but there seemed a lot more AX NPC’s in the AXCZ i was in earlier (post update). Anyone else noticed this? Only had a quick go but it seemed “different”. Took down a cyclops and a few sprouts, my RD “holly” COVAS was freaking out too, kept banging on about limpet failed when the last limpet was long gone.
Dont play on update day i guess, but worth keeping an eye on maybe.

o7

Been playing Elite Dangerous since october 2017 and I had my very first hyperdiction last night. Creeped me out a bit at first and thought I was going to be attacked but nope. Instead, this happened -

Sorry, I'd say it's bugged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom