Thargoid Invasion Strategy: Making the bubble pay the Iron Price

So I was wondering - when Winter Comes and 2.4 along with it, where and how will the Thargoid's strike?

Will be it random attacks on Superpowers? Maybe not, they seem focused at the moment on attacking Federation vessels and as an Imperial, that's a damn shame. [haha]

Will they attack certain star systems? Systems vital to Humanity? Perhaps not, certainly not to prevent production of commodities. For every system that sells Animal Meat there's hundreds more. Maybe the attacks would target moral instead. Superpower Capital Systems would be a good start.

But there was certain humans who, in my opinion, would be ripe for attack:

The Engineers.

Especially any who in the future, create weapons that would harm our future Insect Overlords.

As such, if I was leading this invasion, the Engineers would be wiped off the surface of all rocks they're based on. Their wrecked bases the opening volley of 2.4*.

* Of course this wouldn't happen, but I suspect some players would be happy if the Engineers were indeed, 'removed'. :p

And the real twist would be if for players willing to trade with Thargoids, the Mega Queen allow visit to the Thargoid Engineers.

As I said, I've stocked interesting Earthlings' rares (and am willing to guide them to Erevate to hunt our leader).

Last edited:
I'm guessing their motives won't be the same as ours. They may not even have a concept for war. It might just be swarming time, perhaps due to an issue in the size of their population, or a normal migration we just happen to be in the way of.

Perhaps they are more like army ants on the hunt, cutting down and killing anything in their way.

My suspicion is that most of the action will be confined to the Pleiades nebula with maybe a few random interactions in the bubble. Maybe if FD are feeling particularly evil they'll have an all out assault on Colonia.

I hope they strike hard at mobius.

Most likely more people will go to möbius when some commanders use the thargoid attacks as an opportunity to attack other commanders for the lulz. More great role play/emergent gameplay! Seriously though, hopefully fdev is thinking about these things ... it will be interesting for sure.

So I was wondering - when Winter Comes and 2.4 along with it, where and how will the Thargoid's strike?

The periphery, as we already know; there are permit locked systems near the current alien ruins. They will strike around the edges, and that's about it. Because Frontier already know there would be mutiny if Thargoids reach the bubble. Ever.

It's popular to believe they'll roll through the bubble and just lay waste. That winter is coming. It's not coming kids. It's just not coming. Sorry. It's not an invasion, it's a bit of a holiday in the 'burbs. Nothing more. I wanted to believe Frontier was prepared to take some risks. Have a little of the action reach the bubble, to remind all of us, we are not alone. But they are not.

Get ready for Thargoid Invasion [HIGH] and various random encounters in various Pleiades systems, near you. It's less an invasion, and more a nicely staged set of events that are somewhat convenient.

It's why as much as I am terribly pleased the alien ruins and all the events are happening and discoveries are being made, it just doesn't matter, because I know I can elect to have it never ever affect me. Ever. And for an "invasion", that's just sucked the entire life out of it.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I am pretty jazzed. But that this is essentially a slow boat to China and won't have the gravitas I think many were expecting. Even now people are just assuming they will hit the bubble and I sort of don't have the heart to say "oh honey, you believe that?".

Last edited:
Game wise, worst case scenario, aliens are re-skinned NPC's with grind for new mods.

Best case, let the Mistress of Minions have her way on the alien NPC'S, and, all-out assault on the Bubble, let loose the dogs of war and cry "Havoc!"

Unite and fight or run and surrender our planets, I plan to fight if attacked. Alien targets? Manufacturing, agriculture, mining, research centers of large size.

Last edited:
I think Frontier has bin keeping the rains in tight on Elite Dangerous kind of like a prize race horse. What I see short term is a Thargoid Bubble visible in Galaxy map what leads me to believe they will be a super power in power play. I see Merope and Maia caught in the gravity of a war to save them from being consumed by the Thargoid Bubble.

Last edited:
The periphery, as we already know; there are permit locked systems near the current alien ruins. They will strike around the edges, and that's about it. Because Frontier already know there would be mutiny if Thargoids reach the bubble. Ever.

It's popular to believe they'll roll through the bubble and just lay waste. That winter is coming. It's not coming kids. It's just not coming. Sorry. It's not an invasion, it's a bit of a holiday in the 'burbs. Nothing more. I wanted to believe Frontier was prepared to take some risks. Have a little of the action reach the bubble, to remind all of us, we are not alone. But they are not.

Get ready for Thargoid Invasion [HIGH] and various random encounters in various Pleiades systems, near you. It's less an invasion, and more a nicely staged set of events that are somewhat convenient.

It's why as much as I am terribly pleased the alien ruins and all the events are happening and discoveries are being made, it just doesn't matter, because I know I can elect to have it never ever affect me. Ever. And for an "invasion", that's just sucked the entire life out of it.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I am pretty jazzed. But that this is essentially a slow boat to China and won't have the gravitas I think many were expecting. Even now people are just assuming they will hit the bubble and I sort of don't have the heart to say "oh honey, you believe that?".

winter is coming tho

I think Frontier has bin keeping the rains in tight on Elite Dangerous kind of like a prize race horse. What I see short term is a Thargoid Bubble visible in Galaxy map what leads me to believe they will be a super power in power play. I see Merope and Maia caught in the gravity of a war to save them from being consumed by the Thargoid Bubble.

Yeah, it's not going to be anywhere near the human bubble though. Which is really weird. It's like an invasion, only they don't invade. So not really an invasion, then. Because normally? Invasion means something invades. They don't seem to be doing that.

So what season covers "not so much invading, as lurking, perhaps just hiding with extreme prejudice" then? Spring is coming?

winter is coming tho

"Oh honey..".

Last edited:
Game wise, worst case scenario, aliens are re-skinned NPC's with grind for new mods.

.. no I'm absolutely certain it wont be this. Positive. Very very sure it won't be. Absolutely not. At all. Really. Do I sound convincing? Lie to me.

Yeah, it's not going to be anywhere near the human bubble though. Which is really weird. It's like an invasion, only they don't invade. So not really an invasion, then. Because normally? Invasion means something invades. They don't seem to be doing that.

I'm not sure if Frontier is going to stage it that way. Premonition certainly portraits the intentions of the Thargoids in another way.

Surely the important question is WHAT ARE WE DOING TO PREPARE?

I'm seeing nothing right now.
Shouldn't we be setting up:
- Scout squadrons to look for them
- Fast interdiction units to intercept them
- Trying to work out how and where they will jump into systems. We usually arrive at the primary star. Can we setup intercept group/ambushes there
- Forward supply units, such that combat ships can top up on repairs and armaments

they should wipe out the core systems and all the space stations are left to suffer without any help from the planets. then you get more trading missions as well as combat and it would be cool to see humanity recover but I doubt FD would do that

I say bring on the mutiny then. You don't tease an alien invasion for over 2 years and then tip-toe around it. I want to see real, lasting repercussions from the arrival of Thargoids, not just 'oh, this area 400 light years from the bubble is a bit more dangerous now'.

Surely the important question is WHAT ARE WE DOING TO PREPARE?

I'm seeing nothing right now.
Shouldn't we be setting up:
- Scout squadrons to look for them
- Fast interdiction units to intercept them
- Trying to work out how and where they will jump into systems. We usually arrive at the primary star. Can we setup intercept group/ambushes there
- Forward supply units, such that combat ships can top up on repairs and armaments

Realistically, the only thing we can do right now to prepare is to grab as many data scans as possible from both Ancient Ruins and Thargoid Bases, I'm sure both will be needed in the future to engineer new anti-Thargoid weapons.

The only other thing that comes to mind is making allies of factions around the Pleiades Sector.

Realistically, the only thing we can do right now to prepare is to grab as many data scans as possible from both Ancient Ruins and Thargoid Bases, I'm sure both will be needed in the future to engineer new anti-Thargoid weapons.

The only other thing that comes to mind is making allies of factions around the Pleiades Sector.

This is what I do right now, especially the first sentence.

I hope you are wrong, but you are most likely correct (90%).

I think it is POSSIBLE that there will be some/minimal 'goid action within the bubble.

Basically I'm speculating that FD will add a new USS type for them, or add a Thargoid attack scenario to the distress call signals. I've seen youtube videos of players falling into distress calls and finding disabled ships (usually a Fed Corvette) that show tell-tale signs of a Thargoid attack (That puke-yellow-green color cloud emanating from the ship).

I doubt anything of any real consequence, however.

Top Bottom