Thargoid Map Theory

Soooo, this is my contribution to the tin-foil-hattery, i have decided to put this up here as i have been exploring for 2 days now and found absolutely nothing :D :'(
Im presuming that pretty much all of you are familiar with the map you can decode with a spectral analyiser from the audio clip that plays when you activate the thargoid map room site (if not, heres a cleaned up copy of it), well its this annoying map ive been trying to crack.

thargoid map.png

So, my whole theory about this is that it is some sort of quadratic map, the community has already pretty much confirmed that the stsyem map on the left hand side is the Star system Merope, and I am assuming that due to the presence of the 3 thargoid devices (yes i know they have different names but oh well :p) above the bottom mesh sphere that this represents the System HIP 14909 where the map room is located.
the three groupings of dashes (-) and lines (I) seem to me to be Binary code for the numbers 1, 2, and 3, group 1 being 001 or the number 1, Group 2 being 010 or the number 2, and Group 3 being 011 or the number 3.
This is where things get a bit convoluted...
I am assuming that 123 refers to a distance in light years between each of the four points of a quadratic map, however the distance between Merope and HIP 14909 is exactly 111.29Ly... this got me thinking.... so our measurement of a Light Year is based on the time it takes OUR home planet to orbit OUR sun right? meaning that a thargoids measurement of a light year would be totally different!
So, assuming this is the case, the unknown star systems would both be approximately 111.29Ly away from either Merope or HIP 14909, forming a square with nearly equidistant points.
The main problem i have been having is that there is no database that includes unscanned or undiscovered systems for me to cross-reference with so i am having to literally fly around each known star system scanning everything between 110 and 124 light years (just to be sure) distant from it and hope i either find a match for the unknown system map, or presumably bump into some thargoids and get my face corroded off.
Im on my second day of system checking and the total boredom of flying thousands of light years in a giant circle 250LY wide is starting to get to me (surprise there lol XD)
I was hoping we could organise a kind of mass scanning and astrometric mission to at least give my theory a go, theres a hell of a lot of unknown systems within that proverbial drag net and it would take me a hell of a long time to go through each system alone.

Happy Flying Commanders, i hope this is at least a bit intriguing :)

Yes, the one on the bottom should refer to HIP 14909 (due to the representation of the three thargoid artifacts brought together above it), and the System map on the left hand side is 100% definitely Merope, its the system map on the right hand side and the top that are unknown

obviously the one at the top is not a system map, it is a point in space that you are to decode from knowing the other three points rather than using process of elimination of known system attributes (i.e the number and type of bodies in a system)

The system on the right is Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3, which was found by trilateration.

Seems to be hard to link to the original forum post but here's how it was done: https://jubjubnest.net/~wace/elite/trilateration-math.html
So, what's the top system?
Those curves would suggest it is 3/2 times the distances away from Merope & Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 compared to the bottom system (is the bottom one HIP 14909 ?)

Last edited:
Those curves would suggest it is 3/2 times the distances away from Merope & Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 compared to the bottom system (is it HIP 14909 ?)
It's instructions on how to find Thargoid Structures - the top system would be the next system with a Thargoid Structure.

Edit: It provides distances from 3 known systems (the one where the messages from the Thargoid device was received (bottom), Merope (left) and Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 (right)) to an unkown system (top) which is then found by the process of trilateration.

Last edited:
Those curves would suggest it is 3/2 times the distances away from Merope & Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 compared to the bottom system (is it HIP 14909 ?)
Nevermind, I had forgot some of the old data provided in the science articles.

Last edited:
If I am understanding you correctly, are there maps from other thargoid map rooms with a different binary encoding that can be used to narrow the search. Three spheres, after all, would make 2 points to check rather than the huge volume of 1 sphere.

I've not had luck getting another probe or I'd look. Also, I don't know how to turn the sound into those maps.

I might have missed something but a light year is "a unit of astronomical distance equivalent to the distance that light travels in one year, which is 9.4607 × 1012 km (nearly 6 trillion miles). ". Earth "only" travels about 584 million miles (940 million km) in one year. But maybe you could spin your theory taking advantage of the fact that 1 light year is the same for all species?

Someone requested backlinks to the original solutions.
Here's some: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...eries-thread-8-the-canonn.276077/post-4370128

And of course as mentioned in some of the posts above, the full explanation: https://jubjubnest.net/~wace/elite/trilateration-math.html

There are two interceptors in that picture. Maybee you need to bring along a thargoid heart? Possibly 2 since there are two of them? Also the star on the left picture has a mark next to it and the right picture has one planet marked out instead of all of them. I wonder what's up with that?

Soooo, this is my contribution to the tin-foil-hattery, i have decided to put this up here as i have been exploring for 2 days now and found absolutely nothing :D :'(
Im presuming that pretty much all of you are familiar with the map you can decode with a spectral analyiser from the audio clip that plays when you activate the thargoid map room site (if not, heres a cleaned up copy of it), well its this annoying map ive been trying to crack.

thargoid map.png

So, my whole theory about this is that it is some sort of quadratic map, the community has already pretty much confirmed that the stsyem map on the left hand side is the Star system Merope, and I am assuming that due to the presence of the 3 thargoid devices (yes i know they have different names but oh well :p) above the bottom mesh sphere that this represents the System HIP 14909 where the map room is located.
the three groupings of dashes (-) and lines (I) seem to me to be Binary code for the numbers 1, 2, and 3, group 1 being 001 or the number 1, Group 2 being 010 or the number 2, and Group 3 being 011 or the number 3.
This is where things get a bit convoluted...
I am assuming that 123 refers to a distance in light years between each of the four points of a quadratic map, however the distance between Merope and HIP 14909 is exactly 111.29Ly... this got me thinking.... so our measurement of a Light Year is based on the time it takes OUR home planet to orbit OUR sun right? meaning that a thargoids measurement of a light year would be totally different!
So, assuming this is the case, the unknown star systems would both be approximately 111.29Ly away from either Merope or HIP 14909, forming a square with nearly equidistant points.
The main problem i have been having is that there is no database that includes unscanned or undiscovered systems for me to cross-reference with so i am having to literally fly around each known star system scanning everything between 110 and 124 light years (just to be sure) distant from it and hope i either find a match for the unknown system map, or presumably bump into some thargoids and get my face corroded off.
Im on my second day of system checking and the total boredom of flying thousands of light years in a giant circle 250LY wide is starting to get to me (surprise there lol XD)
I was hoping we could organise a kind of mass scanning and astrometric mission to at least give my theory a go, theres a hell of a lot of unknown systems within that proverbial drag net and it would take me a hell of a long time to go through each system alone.

I thought I remember hearing, from a Dev, that the entire center point of the game is based around our location of the Galaxy...specifically? Sol. Correct me if I'm wrong. So that should mean we wouldn't be using alien light years? I wish I could find that quote because it was very interesting, the way it was stated.

I thought I remember hearing, from a Dev, that the entire center point of the game is based around our location of the Galaxy...specifically? Sol. Correct me if I'm wrong. So that should mean we wouldn't be using alien light years? I wish I could find that quote because it was very interesting, the way it was stated.

Sol is the center point for the galactic coordinate system, yes, which makes sense for our in-game species. As MAUXUS said though, it doesn't matter where you are, a light year is a light year. It can only travel so fast, and will continue to travel that fast no matter where you are (with the exception of things like, being next to a black hole, probably). Maybe OPs idea is getting messed up in the terminology, but I'm pretty sure that a light year will remain a constant distance/time no matter where you are in the universe.

I might have missed something but a light year is "a unit of astronomical distance equivalent to the distance that light travels in one year, which is 9.4607 × 1012 km (nearly 6 trillion miles). ". Earth "only" travels about 584 million miles (940 million km) in one year. But maybe you could spin your theory taking advantage of the fact that 1 light year is the same for all species?

I'm pretty sure that a light year will remain a constant distance/time no matter where you are in the universe.
That's not about the factual distance, rather about the units naming.
We're naming it "a light year" because that distance is how long light travels in a Earth's year.
But if Thargoid's year is longer or shorter, their "light year" will measure a different distance, thus the number will be different.

E.g. if Thargoid's year is two times longer than Earth year, then 10 our light years will be 5 their l.y., while still being the exact same distance.

We're naming it "a light year" because that distance is how long light travels in a Earth's year.
But if Thargoid's year is longer or shorter, their "light year" will measure a different distance, thus the number will be different.

E.g. if Thargoid's year is two times longer than Earth year, then 10 our light years will be 5 their l.y., while still being the exact same distance.

Ahhh, I see where we're going with this now. My bad, was focusing on the wrong half of the term! Clearly I need more coffee

Would AU be the right equivalent term here? ThargHome AU being likely different from an Earth AU. The fabled base Thargunit of astronomical measure.

Top Bottom