Thargoid numbers an image?

When I see videos of people interacting with thargoids that 6x4 grid of number appears. Has anyone documented all of these and is it possible they represent colors like 256 color spectrum? Is there any chance if you make an image out of them they connect in some way and turn into a picture?

I've seen 000. So, I assume it may max at 255.

Source: https://youtu.be/23Brf5I8u24?t=79

Also, it seems to flash multiple sets of numbers each time.

Last edited:
this was worked out ages ago.
it think it was Octal rather than decimal. then look up the value on an ASCII table to get the characters of the messge.

i think that was it..... from memory

On top of an easter egg they could use those things for more complex information and actual in game stuff to decipher. If they preplanned stuff enough. It could have more codes in more situations later with different codes or decipher methods. And/or lead to other puzzles.

What if there is more than one answer to the puzzle?

If it also represents 32bit qaud 256bit color data it could lead to some other data form. They use colors a lot. Or at least it could explain their communication protocols a bit. Maybe it would explain why they flash certain colors. Or if enough exist make an image or something else.

Does anyone know of any 32 bit as opposed to 24 bit color methods used in computers. Or of any translators like the above for 4 values instead of 3?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/72mbl0 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/72mbl0/thargoid_code_decrypting_megathread/

I'm reading this currently. I know it has the easter egg for oct and the manual reference. But I still don't see why there isn't more to get out of it potentially. It too conveniently fits other things also.

Does anything else in game in any way use a similar color scheme? There are lots of color grids used in the BGS data for stations and whatnot. Or any part of the graphics even. Star data? Anything could be a hint potentially. It's possible while going over what to use to make them game they used some of those things as inspiration for the aliens tech and puzzles. It's an easy way to make puzzles.

The fact they leave out so many numbers could be a hint they are using a multi method of layering data and needed to remove numbers to fit multiple data sets at once.

Oddly enough I found this for the term multi method: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimethodology

Came out around the time of the game. Don't know the specific methods it would be referring too, but it could be a cultural thing and have some influence directly or indirectly in one way or the other.

Source: https://youtu.be/6RT2cyYAHvI?t=194

Plus if it's related to this 9 base then you could have the same 3x3 data set being colors in a 9 base number system which fits it also. It could be qaud 256 and 9 base or oct with null color references seperately or simultaneously.

It would be fitting if it used the in game color scheme data or similar in some way.

I'm not familiar with 32 bit. I know it uses white or something non RGB as the 4th data set or something. White one some level. Is it just greyscale mixed in? Not sure how that would be used or how it's normally used/organized to test it easily. Let alone if they use it in a different manner.

Last edited:
On top of an easter egg they could use those things for more complex information and actual in game stuff to decipher. If they preplanned stuff enough.
They've done that, with a lot of pre-planning, and it took a looong time for some of the codes to be deciphered and some breadcrumbs just haven't been solved, one even needed FD to point us right to the end of the trail despite loads of cmdrs trying to figure them out.
The ones I know about were very clever and gave many players a lot of enjoyment (including me on a couple), but they also shut out players who didn't know enough and some relied on out of game tools rather than in game deduction.

They're a very hard thing to do right.

Message is "HULL STRESS FACTOR UNCERTAIN", a reference to the old elite manual.

Thing is, the "mysteries" in the game have all been incredibly straightforward[1]. There is a huge amount of effort some people have gone to to find the proverbial black cat in the dark room, but ultimately there is no black cat.

So, yeah, that's likely all there is to it.

[1] it might seem hard, but as a friend pointed out when i suggested programming C was hard and python was easy, C isn't hard, it's just harder.

Last edited:
BTW, I was recording some of the S&R patrol ships that spawn one after the other at the luna UCB. They could also be a puzzle.

Not sure on the times or times to jump out, which could be a puzzle element, but:
Incubus - DBS? - Mother Gaia - ? - ? - ?
Odyssey - DBS? - Mother Gaia - Epsilon Indi - ? - ?
Gift - ANA - Mother Gaia - Luhman 16 - ? - ?
Spectre - ? - Mother Gaia - ? - ? - ?
Not sure if I missed any here
Scent - Asp Explorer - Mother Gaia - Epsilon Indi - ? - ?(no ship when he left meaning a gap in time instead of an overlap in time. unless I missed the next warp in.)
Beast - Asp Explorer - Mother Gaia - ? - 23:20:? approx = ?

A puzzle like this could use the warp time to warp out also. it takes 15 seconds for a ship to ramp up and 5 seconds to warp. 15 second also to go through the tunnel if it's relevant.

They also have differing overlapping times and gaps between ships being there. It could all be clues. Especially if it repeats. They have to specifically code all this in some way to start. So, using it to make a puzzle is absurdly easy on their part as they already have to know all this puzzle or not. That and isntancing makes it simpler as they don't have to worry about more complexity than warp in and have units do things simply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom