Thargoid Probes don't spawn without cyclops now? And a very low spawn rate?

So I just spent the better half of 4 hrs searching for a Thargoid Probe using all available data. Only one system from Cannons research was good that just so happened to be the CG...So I spent around a hr or so searching in the CG in every single grade 5 Non Human Source...out of the 40+ I checked only 2 spawned a probe. Both where accompanied by a cyclops that would promptly take the Probe. I don't remember needing to search this much nore a cyclops spawning with it now. I guess if this how its going to be i am going to have to ship a combat ship out here to to tank the cyclops while I scoop it up as its not to pleased with me being there. Is there no other way to locate a probe? I need it to turn on the map in the thargoid base. This is becoming increasingly not worth the effort as my playtime is extremely limited...

I guess if this how its going to be i am going to have to ship a combat ship out here to to tank the cyclops while I scoop it up as its not to pleased with me being there.
Nope. You just need a ship with reasonable speed, should be able to scoop and run before it finishes it's scan. Spawn rates is a tad low at the moment🤷‍♀️

Nope. You just need a ship with reasonable speed, should be able to scoop and run before it finishes it's scan. Spawn rates is a tad low at the moment🤷‍♀️
And yet the spawn rate is still so much better than when you could only get them next to ammonia worlds in the pleiades.

@OP... to elaborate on Factabulous' comment... yeah... it's not easy to scoop them but it's definitely doable. Alternately, just throw a limpet at it, you might make the interceptor angry, but it shouldn't result in it opening fire on you. I'd do a video to demonstrate how, but currently have more pressing issues

Way I do it... wait for the inty to approach you for its scan, then boost past it. If it disengages the scan, you're on the clock to get the probe first. If it keeps scanning, bully for you, a few extra seconds to get it. I usually zero my throttle from =~ 1km away, speed 200m/s. Careful thruster adjustment should have you approaching =~ 30m/s at the 100m mark and in it goes.

Alternately, have a meta alloy or something else of interest (MA is safest as it won't get angry)... after it's scan it'll just sit there for 25 seconds. That's plenty of time to do the scoop and get away. Be ready to leg it if you do this one with other Thargoid cargo or Guardian cargo.

Last edited:
Way I do it... wait for the inty to approach you for its scan, then boost past it. If it disengages the scan, you're on the clock to get the probe first. If it keeps scanning, bully for you, a few extra seconds to get it. I usually zero my throttle from =~ 1km away, speed 200m/s. Careful thruster adjustment should have you approaching =~ 30m/s at the 100m mark and in it goes.
Sounds slow - I always just look in the Nav panel, if there's a probe target it and head over - ignore the Thargoid. Scoop manually - limpets are too slow and this is only one thing. Once you have the TP then close cargo bay, boost away (unless you took my advice and took a fast ship ;) ) and that's it - Thargoid probably won't get time to scan you, never mind attack.

But hey, whatever gets the job done, I'm sure others have better techniques ;)

Sounds slow - I always just look in the Nav panel, if there's a probe target it and head over - ignore the Thargoid. Scoop manually - limpets are too slow and this is only one thing. Once you have the TP then close cargo bay, boost away (unless you took my advice and took a fast ship ;) ) and that's it - Thargoid probably won't get time to scan you, never mind attack.

But hey, whatever gets the job done, I'm sure others have better techniques ;)
I'll do some videos later... once I'm out of this situation... :)

I found a NHSS Threat Level 5 yesterday that had a lonely Thargoid Sensor in it. I know it's not a Probe, but maybe it's possible?

Found two with a Probe, but they were always accompanied by Interceptors. It's really mean when you're less than 100m away and feel already too certain that you'll scoop it up when all of a sudden the Interceptor uses its tractor beam and grabs it right out from under you. Made me feel real stupid. :D

It is possible to find a scanner in a NHSS (found one in a 7 on monday) but the crash sites are a better bet for them.

The probes are a different ball game..... they do show up very occasionally in NHSS sites in the eagle eye targets, and even less occasionally while cruising the pleiades jumping in and out of various NHSS there....

If you do find one and it has a thargoid interceptor there too... a little practise at high speed cargo scooping is what you need plus setting a hi-wake target before dropping in.... if you miss the scoop, do not go back and try again because it just makes the thargoid angry if you manage to scoop it while its in the thargoid tractor beam......
I have the scars to prove that one :D

Bill

<<<<points at Panpiper... hes got my one now... ;)

It is possible to find a scanner in a NHSS (found one in a 7 on monday) but the crash sites are a better bet for them.

The probes are a different ball game..... they do show up very occasionally in NHSS sites in the eagle eye targets, and even less occasionally while cruising the pleiades jumping in and out of various NHSS there....

If you do find one and it has a thargoid interceptor there too... a little practise at high speed cargo scooping is what you need plus setting a hi-wake target before dropping in.... if you miss the scoop, do not go back and try again because it just makes the thargoid angry if you manage to scoop it while its in the thargoid tractor beam......
I have the scars to prove that one :D

Bill

<<<<points at Panpiper... hes got my one now... ;)
Thanks for the TIP!
My Exploration adder does 690(boost) so I am plenty quick..So quick infact...I can insta destroy the Probes..yeah I did not think that trough

Top Bottom