Thargoid scan numbers

Hi all

Anyone thinking about the 3-digit numbers which pop up in the scan display when you're looking at a Thargoid? Is it worth looking for some kind of pattern?

Hey, I've put together a website to gather data.

From what I've gathered, the numbers are base 8 (OCT) ASCII characters and when grouped into three's, there are anagrams of text from the 1984 Elite manual.

There also seems to two blocks of data overlaid; the second can be seen by removing the red from the image. I am interested to see if the messages are tied together in some way but have not found a great way to collect data on this yet.

I am also looking further into this because we have 24 different sets of three (sequences of 9 numbers). This number is oddly close to the number of characters in the English alphabet. Furthermore, the frequency of these occurrences seem to somewhat correlate to the English language. That's where I'm stuck though, if they do map to characters, I haven't been able to derive anything meaningful out of them.

Perhaps there is nothing more than the original anagram that we found in a few blocks.

FWIW, messing around, I did an octal to text conversion, then ran that text through google translate, manually choosing languages...

Bengali gave me the most usable words. I'm sure it's (not) the correct manner of deciphering anything, because I ended up with a bunch of gibberish, including (but not limited to) the following phrases:

Half effect
SARS
Haldaras improves
Progress in
She is the tail sophistulator
He's the thunderstruck concerntante
So we're screwed up in the sky
Top of page

And these are my two favorites so far:

Fingerprints are free
You can still win

I'm not kidding, this is what happens when you convert from octal to text, then translate from Bengali to English. Some of it anyways. Other sequences resulted in even worse gibberish, as in , no amount of translation word form actual words.. just garbage text. This is just one thing I tried btw, I didn't do much other than the octal to Bengali to English thing, & was only doing it out of curiosity and boredome, and being overtired.

I watched the video of the 3 wings fighting a Thargoid ship, video was about 15 minutes long, I ran the first 10 minutes worth of number sequences through this conversion process before I decided it was most likely nothing other than coincidental, as well as poor translation. But that's what I got... some of it anyways. (The "You can still win" came up at some point in which a good portion of the pilots were aiming for the rear of the ship, causing the ship to emit a different & pathetic groan.)

Of course, I had also been up for 32 hours when I was doing this, so that might have something to do with it.

Fly safe Commanders, and remember.... Fingerprints ARE in fact...free!

Last edited:
FWIW, messing around, I did an octal to text conversion, then ran that text through google translate, manually choosing languages...

Bengali gave me the most usable words. I'm sure it's (not) the correct manner of deciphering anything, because I ended up with a bunch of gibberish, including (but not limited to) the following phrases:

Half effect
SARS
Haldaras improves
Progress in
She is the tail sophistulator
He's the thunderstruck concerntante
So we're screwed up in the sky
Top of page

And these are my two favorites so far:

Fingerprints are free
You can still win

I'm not kidding, this is what happens when you convert from octal to text, then translate from Bengali to English. Some of it anyways. Other sequences resulted in even worse gibberish, as in , no amount of translation word form actual words.. just garbage text. This is just one thing I tried btw, I didn't do much other than the octal to Bengali to English thing, & was only doing it out of curiosity and boredome, and being overtired.

I watched the video of the 3 wings fighting a Thargoid ship, video was about 15 minutes long, I ran the first 10 minutes worth of number sequences through this conversion process before I decided it was most likely nothing other than coincidental, as well as poor translation. But that's what I got... some of it anyways. (The "You can still win" came up at some point in which a good portion of the pilots were aiming for the rear of the ship, causing the ship to emit a different & pathetic groan.)

Of course, I had also been up for 32 hours when I was doing this, so that might have something to do with it.

Fly safe Commanders, and remember.... Fingerprints ARE in fact...free!

Google translator cannot be trusted that much.

It tend to "adapt" words and often it total fails with them coming out with total nonsense or worse.

-EFVMzWh2CGm-8M8effJINdoCH8I3BAzpDgTyZUKfB8.jpg

https://i.redditmedia.com/-EFVMzWh2CGm-8M8effJINdoCH8I3BAzpDgTyZUKfB8.jpg?w=700&

Last edited:
I assumed as much lol... I mean "fingerprints are free" came from something like "LLUNEAHEASD UNEWH FYENQOI". But it was still amusing to me at the time, the lack of sleep thing probably didn't help much in that regard. :)

Top Bottom