Thargoid war : first CG

The first CG.
Large amounts of Thargoid related data are held at the Palin institute in Maia, along with artifacts.
We must defend the institute from the Thargoids for at least 48 hrs in order to remove as much material as possible.
Use any means, and your ship and self are considered expendable in order to achive this.
Any human ship attacking another human ship engaged in this CG will be marked as a collaborater by the pilot's federation and will therefore be banned from landing in any but anarchy systems.
Ok so this may not be what Fdev have in mind, but heck... it could be fun.. if handled correctly
Any negativity or hate or whining or attempts to whinge about Fdev and their approach I'll ask for this thread to be locked.
Its for community ideas only (and no silly ones either ;))

I was going to reinstall thinking it was a real CG, seeing real change like griefers being labeled traitors and a deep story based goal, but alas, alack... Connolly91 is probably right...

Nice idea, where do I sign up.

Why would you want to exclude any inter human conflict? It is what has defined us as a species since Caine and the one who didn't make it.

Why 'exclude any inter human conflict'?. These conflicts are explicitly included in OPs idea. He just statet that 'inter human' actions should have plausible consequences. People should simply take responsibility for there actions.

Nice idea, where do I sign up.

Why 'exclude any inter human conflict'?. These conflicts are explicitly included in OPs idea. He just statet that 'inter human' actions should have plausible consequences. People should simply take responsibility for there actions.

The OP is also assuming the Pilots federation is on the same side as the OP. Given the fact that the PF has blocked out certain areas of the galaxy without explanation you could be forgiven for thinking they are not telling you everything and may not have your best interests at heart.

Also I think if you look into any conflict you will find the notion of "goodies" and "baddies" is somewhat naive.

any cg that doesn't become a player vs player kill fest is a dumb cg. Mostly because I find all CG's to be stupid obvious tools to progress a narrative or agenda because it lacks an intuitive in-game means of opposition.

with 2.4, if they dont implement a cg system where every goal has a counter goal that can be just as easily participated in, then I hope every CG just ends up with hundreds of crying players angry that they can still be killed by other players even with all the new safety nets Fdev has put in place to protect them from scary things.

in a war like what will be coming, the only CG's i want to see in the game will involve trading for military supplies to various key systems to supply the war machine, for little to no credit gain. The CG goals should be in how many ships the faction in question can produce in the near future to defend itself against the thargoids. If not enough are produced, they will probably end up falling to the thargoids. if enough are produced, they may be spared for the time being as the thargoids attack weaker systems first.

In this way, players decide where they will make their last stands.

And in the spirit of my hope that CG's are improved for 2.4. The opposition to those CG's will be trading those military goods with the pirate/anarchy faction in such systems. You'll get credit rewards and the goal of the opposition is that piracy/anarchy activity will explode as civilization falls apart as many will see this as an opportunity to be free in a way that's not possible with organized governments and military control.

In such a system, the CG will end when either the primary or opposition reach their top tier quota first.

You could have the Thargoids attack major faction hq systems with the hopes of taking out senior leadership. Then you have to decide if you want to help defend your faction or help move resources that will help the over all war effort.

My vain hope is that it wont be black or white. That the Thargoids offer us opportunities to shed the structure of established society and pursue a galactic goal which is above our petty individual concerns. Those who wish to cling to the comforting notions of society and haul Biowaste back and forth can do so but will ultimately have chosen to limit the evolution of our species development in the Galactic community.

Failing that I'd like to be able to steal cargo with out it vanishing.

It's an interesting idea for a CG, but it would have to be carefully crafted so-as not to impact the story or direction of the game. For example, this CG would lead towards Maia becoming inaccessible or the destruction of all human stations and settlements upon a successful Thargoid invasion. I don't think FDev wants to change Obsidian Orbital into Obsidian Memorial as you don't want to upset his ant hill followers :)

The CGs will have to be more on the sidelines of the state of affairs. Supportive tasks that if failed, would not create a ripple that could lead to massive changes. There may be some unimportant systems lost or gained in some conflicts, but ultimately FDev needs to maintain a stalemate between the two warring species to keep the content and current state of affairs accessible to everyone.

With that said, I can see CGs in the following area:
1. Conflict zone CGs that will significantly reduce stability in the system if the conflict was lost to the Thargoids (famine, outbreaks, lawlessness). So in a way, you're fighting to keep stability in the system.

2. Supply missions to keep the war effort fueled. Food, clothing, weapons. Since these commodities pale in comparison to trading gold, FDev will need to incentivize players to complete the objective. Perhaps reward war bonds for a monetary boost per delivery (similar to Edmund Mahon's powerplay special) instead of giving a flat cash reward at the end. This would be a good way to shake up the reward structure in CGs too.

3. Research CGs can also be given, but if the fail they shouldn't have an impact on the game. Things like you need to research XYZ in order to unlock necessary weapons ABC to successfully attack Thargoids. Instead, such research missions might help reduce costs of said weapons instead. Finding cheaper ways to make them, for example.

4. Bounty hunting missions against pirates exploiting the warring states. Not a whole lot of creativity here, but it's an excuse to have a bounty hunting CG every once in a while since bounty hunting against Thargoids doesn't make sense.

5. Invasion missions. This would be extended on Thargoid Conflict Zones, except it would involve planetary invasions. We haven't seen these before and it would have to be implemented by FDev (ie: pipe dream talk right now), but it would be really cool to see fleets pull in and shoot down bases and structures. To have combat SRVs go in and take down ground units (currently only scavengers) and successfully invade / conquer ground bases. Again, pipe dream, but just replace combat with research and fetch missions and.., well there you go.

So yeah, that's my take. I think Galnet will piece together the main plot and FDev will try to shuffle things around to make it relatively engaging. CGs will be there on the sidelines to give commanders some indirect influence over the story.

You are entirely missing the point. We want NEW story/missions/CC. Not the same old .

So, you don't want "material gathering" community goal, because this would be a "reskin".
You don't want combat CGs, because this would be a reskin.
A "bring me data" CG would also be a reskin.
I guess, you don't want a community goal at all.

Well then ... Thargoid combat zones would be reskinned standard combat zones, conventional data gathering would be reskinned scan missions, free fights with Thargoids would be reskinned pirat encounters.

So, can you please enlighten me, which brand new, never seen game loops you actually envision? What should FDev implement in order to satisfy your desire for never before experienced gameplay?

(By the way ... the OP actually suggests two new and never seen before CG ideas: the "rescue as much material as possible" CG would feature the opposite "direction" than the common material gathering CG. And the proposed combat CG is a sort of "king of the hill" or "last man standing" idea, also different to the currently known combat CGs. I like your ideas, William!)

Why would you want to exclude any inter human conflict? It is what has defined us as a species since Caine and the one who didn't make it.

The Internet - Providing laughs based on the ignorance of the populace since its creation... I'm not even a Christian and I know that is folderol.

I think it needs to be better, bigger and higher stakes

All engineer bases are attacked and we have 1 week to defend them against almost invincible thaorgoids, if a engineer is not defended it is removed from the game for 1 month and all upgrades are lost on ship destruction until the engineer base is rebuilt 1 month later in a new system

And if the base is destroyed in a second attack after being rebuilt its removed for 2 months and so on , a successful defence will reset the timer to 1 month if destroyed in the next attack , this would at least force players to take the threat seriously

But nothing of consequence like that will ever happen

Last edited:
Top Bottom