That moment when you realized....

I recently went mining in the beautiful rings of Alnitak, when the Gnosis was based in the nearby Mintaka. However I needed to take a Fuel Scoop for the return trip, I opted for a 1E fuel scoop for economy, on an Anaconda. Doh, it took me half an hour to refuel.

Went to Colonia and sold my ADS because I tried a mining loadout and then I realized you can’t even buy a ADS anywhere in Colonia. So I went back to the bubble without scanning a single System...

Every single time I pull a Cosby Maneuver.

Oh, you don't know what a Cosby Maneuver is?

That's when you line up your approach to a station nice and perfect, glide right on in, and have not requested permission and have to slip back out without getting caught.

I'd be lieing if I said I have not done that before. Glad I am not the only one who does that!

Over the years I have developed a habit of reading "your noob moment" threads on game forums. It provide valuable insight so that I can keep myself from contributing in such threads...

Also (and this is habit from work) I tend to use checklists - my memory is good, but short. Having a checklist surely saves a lot, be it time, money or frustration. Or is it maybe my hidden paranoia and my constant expectation that things will go south and i plan 3 steps ahead to counter unforeseen?

I've contributed to most of these types of thread, and always with a new fail...

So I land my disposable Asp on a pad. I have a ship parked here in this station. I go to the shipyard to pull out my very special Anaconda The one I spent a long long time getting just right.

...and I'm thinking to myself "When I press this, I sell the ship I'm in and I exchange it with the ship in storage? That's right isn't it?". No, that's not how it works

My favourite is no fuel scoop, after loading up my cutter delivering media mats to get my prismatics. Jumping to Jamesons to purchase then realising, doh. Luckily my son decided to fuel rat me for a 4.7 ly jump to the nearest station.

I still struggle a bit with slipping into neuron star death-boost-cones... Last time I tried, the turbulence knocked me out of supercruise and I learnt the true meaning of toast.

Also Cosby Maneuvers.

Leaving my home station in my brand new Viper III after swapping in enhanced engineered grade A drives and hitting boost, only to have the whole ship shut down because I still had an E rated powerplant.

Forgot my other classic senior citizen moment. Spent ages collecting mats for efficient G5 class 2 beam lasers. Took ages, but finally got a couple of good rolls for them. Returned to home base and into outfitting to swap them from the ASPx to the Vette, only to discover, I had two better class 2 beams in module storage.

I recently visited some of the latest INRA bases. Tried to jump my SRV on top of a building I assumed had a solid roof only to discover that there was actually a gap between the central building and its surrounding "cage" which I promptly fell into.

2nByABu.png

Suffice to say that, despite much waggling of controls and ineffectual boosting, I never actually managed to extricate the SRV from where it ended up.

Participating in my first CG, got that caught up in the A-B-A cargo runs that after a few I:

(1) Forget to actually hit the confirm button on the Commodities screen, only realising when I arrived at the destination station.
(2) Got confused between the two stations, immediately after buying the required cargo, had a brain explosion, thought I was already at the destination station and sold the entire lot - couldn't work out why I was taking a loss on sale

Besides the weekly “forgot to invite the crewmember” and “s... I dint ask for docking” moments, my classic was selling a fully engineered ship by mistake. I was selling a viper, got confused, misread the text, 1 click and it was gone! Not for the faint of heart. I just stared at the screen feeling dumb. Another great moment was taking a few missions at Hutton for fun, without thinking first, then having to travel back to cash in a few miserable credits. Im proud of all that.

Last edited:
Every single time I pull a Cosby Maneuver.

Oh, you don't know what a Cosby Maneuver is?

That's when you line up your approach to a station nice and perfect, glide right on in, and have not requested permission and have to slip back out without getting caught.

That comment was as smooth as a baby’s... errr, I’ll stop there.. don’t want Cosby gliding in on the off chance.

Was about 12 to 14k ly away from bubble out exploring and saw a cool planet. Figured it would be a nice rest place after a few hours of playing. Still not sure how I did this prolly just tired lol but I swear it said 20 km from surface looked at side panel and boom I hit at full speed and saw the rebuy screen.
Sat there and just looked at the window through Vr for a few moments then put Oculus and the game away for 2 weeks. Makes me smile today........😎

Now, that is a very civilised reaction to such a situation!

Z...

once spent 30 minutes chasing an 'alien spaceship' which was found by paralax - nothing on the scanner. Got close and realised it was just a distant set of gas giants. Forgot to equip the ADS.

Top Bottom