The biggest vehicle climb ever attempted

It was exhausting, but I finally passed the obstacle that retained me. I keep updating the second post. At some point I'll compile videos, as I'm recording everything, but for the moment my time is better used this way. Stay tuned as the next challenge of the route awaits already in front of me.

It was exhausting, but I finally passed the obstacle that retained me. I keep updating the second post. At some point I'll compile videos, as I'm recording everything, but for the moment my time is better used this way. Stay tuned as the next challenge of the route awaits already in front of me.
Oh wow ... I hadn't spotted that post #2 was being updated with a log, that's epic! I need to set aside some time to read that properly. Congratulations on your progress so far!

Really good to see you're still making progress Alex o7

I think I can now safely say that no other human has gone as high as me without a flying machine or geyser under the butt, although it hasn't really ended completely as I wanted. Check it out at the second post. More updates should come.

Last edited:
So in a game of spaceships and 400bn systems you spent 2 weeks trying to climb one mountain in a ground vehicle? LOVE IT! :) Awesome story and logs. Good Luck and hope you get there, I got a few months at least before Odyssey drops on XB but probably wont make it out that way.

I hope Frontier read this and realise just how much fun some of us have doing nothing that was necessarily 'intended' but is 'available'....and give us some more SRVs as well but thats a different story.

Speaking as a Brit I can say that it sometimes appears that toggling thruster use to the tune of 'God Save The Queen' can give more overall thrust than one long boost if that helps :)

Yes Vetinari, I feel that SRV was an abandoned feature from the very beginning. The point that the SRV has a model name makes you expect some variety of them and some customization. Maybe not much, but at least they could have done with at least doing three models, like one heavy and sturdy, one light and maneuverable, and one with a bit more cargo... but FDev never really exploited too far what Horizons could have offered.

I would have wished for thrusters to be directed, too. So much advanced technology and no manufacturer could avoid you from doing complicated maneuvers to go over obstacles, or add a simple cursor in the hud to point to your off-sight target while on a ship (I heard nations already had them in the 20th century)... And they managed to do an all-terrain vehicle that can climb more in reverse gear than in forward...

By the way, I don't think the God Save The Queen thingy works on my vehicle (maybe I should try The Sex Pistols'?).

Congrats Alex, a proper adventure that, and I've got huge admiration for your dedication and achievement
o7

I think I can now safely say that no other human has gone as high as me without a flying machine or geyser under the butt,
SRV shenanigans have a long and rich history in Elite, and it's safe to assume that anything you think is a first has probably been done before.

Here's someone driving an SRV into orbit from a mountain:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZYwdE5on9k

and someone else transferring from one world to another using only SRV power and getting up to orbital velocity:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAIemmwbBVs

So in a game of spaceships and 400bn systems you spent 2 weeks trying to climb one mountain in a ground vehicle? LOVE IT! :) Awesome story and logs.
Absolutely this ^^^

Alex, I'm probably going to have a go at this myself before Odyssey launches, and combine it with another world out that way I need to visit and see before it all changes.

Haha, yeah I forgot about those. Bad choice of words, those of mine. I'll have to settle for most tremendous climb :) .

If you want to try this one, I'm gonna share the waypoints for my first attempt after my AspX is transferred here. I came in the Phantom and I feel that maybe the AspX can land in a couple of places of my route where the Phantom couldn't. So I'm gonna see if it's true and log them in the same file so that people can try different stages if they come with a small ship, instead of having to do all the way like I did.

And of course, I'll try to find another approach to the final stage wich, if it really exists, it may mean a whole different route altogether.

Last edited:
Great. I'm still trying to find a way up. I found a way to cross the final chasm and get to the top (tested successfully). Unfortunately, it's equally difficult to get to the point where you can cross that chasm, either from the route I used or from below. So I still have to find some way to connect both things.

There's a very very difficult candidate that consists in doing an awesomely high jump to land on a jungle of icy spikes. The problem is getting out there. I almost got it done, but got stuck and no relogin trick could get me out of there. As a matter of fact, that jungle of icy spikes was already marked as a caution area to avoid in the last part of the final route...

Anyway, shout when you're around.

I'm 10 jumps away.

Probably be Sun/Mon before I have a time to get to the surface, really looking forward to it.

Great. Been offline for some days but I may login again now to continue looking for a way to get out of the final chasm to a doable path. The new pair of eyes might get the solution :D

Great. Been offline for some days but I may login again now to continue looking for a way to get out of the final chasm to a doable path. The new pair of eyes might get the solution :D
That's what I was thinking, lets see if we can get you up there :)

I should be able to get on 19-1930 UTC tonight, that work for you?

Edit: I'm there with Cmdr Kyloe.
You Alex_Fighter in game? I'll try friend when I get on later

I landed Sunday for a quick look at the summit:

Just a little further:
SRV nearly there.jpg

Balancing act:
Summit balance.jpg

Last edited:
If the short-lived Odyssey SRV behaviour was present, this climb would be a walk in the park. Just point nose towards summit and hit full throttle. And still some people argue that it was better in every way...

If the short-lived Odyssey SRV behaviour was present, this climb would be a walk in the park. Just point nose towards summit and hit full throttle. And still some people argue that it was better in every way...
Exactly my thoughts and, after the initial shock, my main reason for objecting to the changes.

I really want to see and show the effect on the more extreme terrain in Alpha, but we're not seeing that terrain until release.

Is there any video or explanation where I can see what you mean?

@sgurr . Sorry, I had to be off, but those times are normally good for me, so I'll try to be around these days.

Top Bottom