Community Event / Creation The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

Second/Third run completed. Had a couple of really good approaches and one very lucky situation in which I managed to escape the second successive T Tauri star with around 100 kg of fuel left. On the other hand, I lost about 2:30 due to all the jumps from planets being obscured. I must have had a lot of luck in the last run, where I didn't have any eclipses...

Second/Third run completed. Had a couple of really good approaches and one very lucky situation in which I managed to escape the second successive T Tauri star with around 100 kg of fuel left. On the other hand, I lost about 2:30 due to all the jumps from planets being obscured. I must have had a lot of luck in the last run, where I didn't have any eclipses...
I had a good one in progress this morning. Felt really good until I timed the boost out of Hind mine badly. I survived, but had to land really gently at the next station...

To declare your intent, specify the following:
CMDR Terrorsidic
Unlimited Class
We'll see how many divisions I can get done
Fly fast!

I can't quite believe it but I just ran in Homestar Runner and finished the exact time that's on the board! None my runs improved my times excet a small gain in my hauler. Thanks for the race organising Jhyrryl!

Last edited:
After another couple hours of engineering on the RazorBear and Sugar Glider, I tried a few more rauns last night and this afternoon, but no luck. Last night got cut short by an Iridium Wing mission, although thankfully it was not a boring one, ended up killing three interdictors to save 50m of exploration data, and this afternoon was plagued by overheating, recording issues, deep space deselection b#$%s*^&, and finally a combination of TOO FAST FOR ORBITAL CRUISE and NO CONTACTS WITHIN RANGE (because sensors got fried running too close to the sun, I should really call my DBX Icarus with it's teeny fuel scoop) killed a final attempt. So no new times from me. :(

However, it was an amazing race and course, the most beautiful I've ever seen. Had to get a purple UI just to match Ring Mine's lighting.

GMezoyp.jpg

My Spotify playlist for California Dreamin' is here. :D

Last edited:
I can't quite believe it but I just ran in Homestar Runner and finished the exact time that's on the board! None my runs improved my times excet a small gain in my hauler. Thanks for the race organising Jhyrryl!

After, the last of my last set of runs, I used four FSD injections and still ended up slower than my current time on the board (because of having worse luck with planetary alignments), I concluded the margin for improvement in my standing time was less than the luck factor of planetary alignments, and therefore that I was unlikely to improve unless I was spectacularly lucky. At that point, I gave up.

I did get something good out of it, though - I have a good sense now of what kind of time-per-jump I can expect when I get around to running a Courier in the A* Challenge... which means I can make projections of a total time for the run.

Got distracted doing other things and never made it back for another run (I was planning on trying the Asp Explorer). Ah well, my DBX run has hung in there amazingly well. :D

Brilliant race - so beautiful. Bit too beautiful really, spent far too much time sightseeing and not enough time actually racing. Thanks for organising Jhyrryl, brilliant turn-out! (although we could have done with some greenhorn's to fill out the Standard class, I'll see if I can recruit some new racers next weekend). Also .. congrat's to Bruski and Polly for their epic battle at the top of all four leaderboards, gripping stuff.

o7

My plans to race this weekend were interdicted by the amazingly good weather, so my family had other plans for my time.

I'd hoped to manage at least a second run in The Nomad last night, but it wasn't to be - at least my test run wasn't embarrassing this time.

Thanks for organising a beautiful race Jhyrryl, I'd already visited about half of the systems, but not since 1 point something, and this is the first time I've docked at the awesome asteroid bases. If I have time this week, I'll revisit the course either to see if I could have beat my first attempt (never as easy as you expect), or just to take longer enjoying the scenery. :D

Many thanks to Jhyrryl for staging this race! o7 It was a great way of showing some of what the galaxy has to offer without going very far from the bubble and I found it great to push the Adder hard on the journey (although I clearly need more practice in my Python - and I consider that to be my 'main' ship!).
One of the benefits of this race is that I am much more comfortable with faster planetary surface approaches now than I was before and I've found that my normal station approaches work fine on the asteroid bases in rings as well. Added to this, I reached allied status with the asteroid base controlling factions as well, either in preparation for or during the race thanks to the exploration data from my latest expedition. There are some good missions to be had occasionally and it's nice to get a welcoming message when you arrive.
Well done to everyone who took part and congratulations to the winners!

Yes indeed, thanks Jhyrryl for the race. Not only did I find 3 more Asteroid Bases to add to my list, I learnt how to fly my ships all over again with the X52 Pro :D Landing is almost back to the speed I used to do it at... ALMOST. The lack of the detent at 0 speed really threw me off, and now I fly in Forward-Only throttle. Re-mapping the thrust overrides for landing to my POV2 helped immensely, and I couldn't have thought of this idea without your screenshot of your mappings :D

I really enjoyed this race, even if I did post the worst time :)

I'm not sure I have racing "in my blood" exactly, but doing the course was a lot of fun for me. I went back after the race just to view some of the sights.

Thanks to Jhyrryl for organizing the race, and to everyone who participated for giving me something to aspire to. Or at least to admire greatly! :D

I'll be doing more races, that's for sure.

Congrats to the winners!

I'm not sure I have racing "in my blood" exactly, but doing the course was a lot of fun for me.
I'll be doing more races, that's for sure.

If you're interested I've put together a tutorial video for the upcoming Lavecon Race which includes a few tips for improving your time in a Buckyball Race. It's a little bit focused on the Lavecon course but is mostly pretty general.

[video=youtube_share;-lZHXg_silg]https://youtu.be/-lZHXg_silg[/video]

Note: the pounding Prodigy soundtrack is optional :p

Last edited:
If you're interested I've put together a tutorial video for the upcoming Lavecon Race which includes a few tips for improving your time in a Buckyball Race. It's a little bit focused on the Lavecon course but is mostly pretty general.

https://youtu.be/-lZHXg_silg

Note: the pounding Prodigy soundtrack is optional :p

Ooh thanks. I'll turn my sound down ;)

Edit:

Cool tips. Um -- that video is sped up, right? Cuz my game don't run that fast!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this race, even if I did post the worst time

Sorry to disappoint, but I've taken the slowest time in the small (and medium) division.

Figured I'd carry silver for the Maia CG
AND make some extra pitstops at,
- Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7 A 6 barnacles (didn't get an alien visit sadly)
- HIP 17044 to see the alien destroyed fleet.

Cool tips. Um -- that video is sped up, right? Cuz my game don't run that fast!

Yes - it's 2x speed. I generally do all my race videos at 2x speed because a) I don't have that many 10 minute pieces of hi-octane accompanying music (that I haven't already used for my SRV race videos), b) it's more fun to watch and c) strangely looks closer to how it feels at the time (I suspect that time dliates in the heat of the moment).

Last edited:
z3svVsC.png

I believe this will be the final leader board update, although I'd still like to put together a podium collage of the 1st-place finishers and their ships. I believe I have all the necessary imagery, I just need to find the time before the family leaves on vacation Wednesday. :)

There was a ton of action in this final update!

CMDR Polly updated her time in the Route Six-66 event to ensure a 1st-place finish there.

Likewise, CMDR Cheetah submitted an improved Hauler time, but it wasn't quite enough to move in front of CMDR Birdnose.

CMDR Terrorsidic cruised by in all three divisions of California Dreamin', making his best attempt in the Large ships division for a mid-pack showing.

And finally, CMDR Cookiehole was not content to lead the Orca pod from a 2nd-place position, so submitted an updated time to take 1st-place in the Large ships division of California Dreamin'.

Congrats to everyone, but of course especially the winners! It was a fun race to host and it seems like it was fun to run as well. Thanks for all your participation. :)

Congratulations to the winners, and to Jhyrryl for hosting this absolutely beautiful race! I'd have liked to make another couple attempts at least but free time has been very sparse this week, and as Raiko said my plans for a race weekend were interdicted too by the incredibly sunny weather (yes, maybe a bit too sunny even for italian standards :p). No regrets, I'm perfectly ok with my Keelback time and with sharing it to the second with Drakhyr, an even more hilarious feat considering we made our runs in opposite directions!

See you all at the next one!

Last edited:
Somehow I get the strange impression that Polly is pleased with having won in two classes :D

No regrets, I'm perfectly ok with my Keelback time and with sharing it to the second with Drakhyr, an even more hilarious feat considering we made our runs in opposite directions!

I actually made a slightly faster run immediately after that one, but missed a screenshot so it wouldn't have been valid; the difference was only three seconds though, so I wasn't too bothered - would have been annoying if you'd beaten me by a second or two! Anyway, very happy to share joint fourth with another member of the T6 family :)

Last edited:
Congrats to Polly and Bruski and to everybody who took part and thanks a lot for hosting Jhyrryl!
The views on this course are spectacular and while I've spent too much time racing compared to sightseeing (but still much less time than I would have liked to spend) this race has showed me a couple of extremely beautiful places. :)
Also the Asteroid base approaches have often been quite tricky and fun, and having a more long distance oriented race has been a nice bit of variety aswell.
The video of my run is uploading right now (edit: it's here) and I might add a few notes of race analysis later (if I find the time that is :eek:).

Last edited:
Top Bottom