Community Event / Creation The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

Hey Jhyrryl...

I think your google form needs a little bit of tweaking... one of the questions asked was that if the race was run in reverse, and my reply was NO... yet at the detailed time submission page it won't let me skip when the "reversed run" page is shown (page 14).

Anyway... yay, submitted my first run :) It's not a fantastic run though, and the time's more than I'd like.... so I'll probably get another run in in a couple of days

Last edited:
Hey Jhyrryl...

I think your google form needs a little bit of tweaking... one of the questions asked was that if the race was run in reverse, and my reply was NO... yet at the detailed time submission page it won't let me skip when the "reversed run" page is shown (page 14).

Anyway... yay, submitted my first run :) It's not a fantastic run though, and the time's more than I'd like.... so I'll probably get another run in in a couple of days
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Hey Jhyrryl...

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Found it and fixed. Thanks! You get credit for testing the form. ;)

Found it and fixed. Thanks! You get credit for testing the form. ;)

Thanks :D Couldn't we work something else out, like um... knocking a couple mins off my time? *whisper*

EDIT: - Well I made a second run just now... knocked 6 mins off my time :) I'll submit it later...

And oh yes, I used the Tobii 4C for this run, "just to see how it'd be". Well, I can tell you one thing - it's as good as/as bad as FaceTrackNoIR. Lots of wobble, losing track of my face, screen jumping all about for no reason whatsoever (my head / eyes aren't moving).

Yeah I'll use TrackIR for my next run (if I do make another run).

Last edited:
My runs have been full of fire and pain!

Found out that you can't get within 75 metres of the planet side behind in an Anaconda because by the time your nose hits the ground you are still 85 metres away haha. I guess that's close enough though. The nose smoked and sparked the rest of the way around which I'd never seen before.

The hauler! Eventually I had to reboot that so as to land!

My runs have been full of fire and pain!

Found out that you can't get within 75 metres of the planet side behind in an Anaconda because by the time your nose hits the ground you are still 85 metres away haha. I guess that's close enough though.
Oh, heh. And here I thought that when I pushed the requirement from 50m to 75m that would be enough! I'll push the limit out to 100m and happily take that Anaconda submission. :)

edit: rules updated and FAQ item added.

Last edited:
My hauler has been buffed to within an inch of its life hull plating.

Should be good for a run tomorrow, just doing a quick recce this evening :)

Dang, that race was a lot longer than I thought it would be. But so pretty! First submission in! /exhausted

Ijx5nSX.jpg

After losing all the exploration data from my plotting expedition to Sagittarius A* and back (something like 35 pages of data - please don't ask how it happened. I don't want to think about it), I've pretty much lost all my motivation to play Elite right now. It just feels... meaningless.

I'm sure I'll be back eventually, but even if I play again before the end of this race, I know I won't have the drive to race again for a while.

Please withdraw my entry from the race.

Last edited:
After losing all the exploration data from my plotting expedition to Sagittarius A* and back (something like 35 pages of data - please don't ask how it happened. I don't want to think about it), I've pretty much lost all my motivation to play Elite right now. It just feels... meaningless.

I'm sure I'll be back eventually, but even if I play again before the end of this race, I know I won't have the drive to race again for a while.

Please withdraw my entry from the race.
I totally understand. I've been there myself a couple of times. I lost my first ever exploration trip, 2 months of data, to one of those stupid shoot-first, ask for cargo later "pirates" from the early days. I also lost all of my Distant Worlds data, multiple times. That's why I took my last hiatus from the game...while on the one hand it's like, oh no, no one will ever know I was first to all those nebulae, on the other hand, this game punishes explorers on multiple orders of magnitude greater than any other style of play.

Anyway, we look forward to seeing you when you get back. :)

Last edited:
Dang, that race was a lot longer than I thought it would be. But so pretty! First submission in! /exhausted

Um, spacebear...I'm looking at the times you submitted and I somehow doubt you finished the race in 0 minutes, 0 seconds. ;) Good thing there are screenshots.

I should have a leaderboard up with our first submissions in the next handful of hours.

There is a way Bruski could do that run in 00:00 easily...

Just have a clock that only shows minutes and seconds, no hours. Once 59:59 rolls around, the very next second the clock will read 00:00... and that's when he crossed the line!

Last edited:
First Leaderboard Postings!

GVfI2QN.png

If that looks horrible, my apologies; this is my first time using the background image process for creating a leaderboard. :)

I also apologize for a lack of witty; it's late and I got to chase my 4-year around the lake today -- about 3 miles. She was on her training wheels while I was on foot, and I'm not in the best shape these days (but I'm working on it!)

Anyway, if you submitted a time in the form but don't see your name up here, please let me know!

I intend to race!

CMDR Codger (artigan99)
DBX
Ship Name: Jumpinator
Main Event
Unlimited Class
Small

Here's a short video I did for my YT channel, that briefly explains the race, and shows my loadout.

I'm looking forward to racing!

https://youtu.be/56xe2W4s2r8
Sweet!

If I could make a recommendation on the loadout...definitely leave the srv behind. I'd also remove the shields, utility slots, and the scanners; it's all dead weight if you want to am for the top of the leaderboard. :)

If you really want the shields for docking and bouncing off of tourist beacons, consider turning them off while travelling to assist with heat management.

Welcome to the Club!

CMDR Cheetah
Unlimited Class
Main Event - Unlimited
Small - DBS - Homestar Runner

Just bought one of these, a first time DBS owner! Comes into the race still with that new leather smell! Until the burning smell covered it up...

I totally understand. I've been there myself a couple of times. I lost my first ever exploration trip, 2 months of data, to one of those stupid shoot-first, ask for cargo later "pirates" from the early days.

I once lost a bunch when I accidentally pushed the forward/reverse toggle while in supercruise, then was unable to figure out why my throttle suddenly wasn't working before I overheated and exploded.

Suggestion on the leaderboard: It could use more contrast. Either make the background lighter and use a dark font, or leave the font as-is and make the background darker. Other than that it looks pretty good to me!

---

Finished my first run. (Note to self: You need sensors for targeting tourist beacons. Try not to cook them to death on the way.)

Last edited:
Suggestion on the leaderboard: It could use more contrast. Either make the background lighter and use a dark font, or leave the font as-is and make the background darker. Other than that it looks pretty good to me!

---

Finished my first run. (Note to self: You need sensors for targeting tourist beacons. Try not to cook them to death on the way.)
New race mechanic...new wisdom. Love it! +1 vRep

Top Bottom