Community Event / Creation The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

Incoming!

CMDR Polly
Unlimited/Medium
Regina Noctis
ASP Explorer
Or something else. Possibly including a sidewinder. Or not.

Before I start, is this correct?

Total 11 screenshots for california dreaming/unlimited.

1xStart
3xDocking (HIP 16813, Pleione, T Tauri)
2xScan beacon (T Tauri, BD+30623)
1xDock (HIP 18077)
2xScan beacon (Both in Cal sector BA-A E6)
1xDock (Cal sector BV-Y C7)
1xFinish (2MASS....)

Or the route above backwards.

Homestar Runner
Now you got me distracted. Had to watch TROGDOR again!

Last edited:
I once lost a bunch when I accidentally pushed the forward/reverse toggle while in supercruise, then was unable to figure out why my throttle suddenly wasn't working before I overheated and exploded.

In my case, I got bitten by a couple of game mechanics which I really hate, ones which I vociferously campaigned against on the forums when they were implemented, but FD did it their way.

What I've realized is that I'm far more upset about how it happened than I am about the loss itself. The loss of credits is merely an annoyance... it's a lot of credits, but if I was motivated by credits I'd be a lot wealthierthan I am. The loss of exploration rank is more frustrating, but I can live with it. What I'm really dealing with is that I've managed to almost completely ignore a particular game mechanic for over a year now, but when it finally got me, it cost me dearly.

If I'd gotten interdicted and destroyed, or if I'd run into a neutron star, or if I'd hit boost instead of landing gear, I'd be mad at myself, but I wouldn't blame the game for it.

With what happened, I'm still mad at myself (I made a bad decision when playing on two hours of sleep), but I'm more angry that if it weren't for one mechanic I hate, I'd have sold the data already before the incident happened, and if it weren't for the other mechanic I hate, the incident would not have been a problem.

Up until now, I've put up with those mechanics because one was a nuisance and the other I somehow managed to never run afoul of, and while I always knew it would eventually happen ( and was prepared to accept what I thought was the likely cost when it did), I never imagined the cost would be remotely near this high when it did.

So now I have to decide, in the wake of what happened, if I still think the game is worth playing now that I realize how much more intrusive on my gameplay these mechanics are than I realized.

Anyway, I don'twant to hijack the thread, so I'll not discuss it further here. I just felt like I needed to explain myself once, somehow.

Anyone who wants to discuss it further can PM me.

Incoming!

CMDR Polly
Unlimited/Medium
Regina Noctis
ASP Explorer
Or something else. Possibly including a sidewinder. Or not.

Before I start, is this correct?

Total 11 screenshots for california dreaming/unlimited.

1xStart
3xDocking (HIP 16813, Pleione, T Tauri)
2xScan beacon (T Tauri, BD+30623)
1xDock (HIP 18077)
2xScan beacon (Both in Cal sector BA-A E6)
1xDock (Cal sector BV-Y C7)
1xFinish (2MASS....)

Or the route above backwards.

Looks right to me, but I always use numbered bookmarks and then promptly forget the order. :)

And oh yes, I used the Tobii 4C for this run, "just to see how it'd be". Well, I can tell you one thing - it's as good as/as bad as FaceTrackNoIR. Lots of wobble, losing track of my face, screen jumping all about for no reason whatsoever (my head / eyes aren't moving).

Yeah I'll use TrackIR for my next run (if I do make another run).

I bought a 2nd hand Tobii 4c a couple of weeks ago. I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it yet. It doesn't help that I ran into problems with the latest software update that I need to contact them about and have had to revert to previous software. The standard mode works quite well but I find the display moving every time I look at the hud a bit disruptive. The Dynamic mode is supposed to avoid this but was much less responsive and produced small jerks in the view when my eyes moved. I found one of your posts from a couple of months ago when I searched the forum about the Tobii so it is a bit disappointing if you still haven't found a setup that works for you.

Intent to race:
Cmdr jumpingclear
Hauler class
Unlimited
Ship name - Joe

I finished my first run, and submitted the form.

Not the fastest time by a long shot, but it sure was fun.

Now I want to go back and see the scenery better, though! There were some really nice places in this race.

Here's a short video of my run, too.

[video=youtube_share;fQq77Ytr6wY]https://youtu.be/fQq77Ytr6wY[/video]

PS: I did leave behind the SRV :)

Last edited:
A new day; a new leaderboard; and 4 new entries!

4uqA1x1.png

Wow, there are all kinds of problems with that! Class and Division are backwards, CMDR Bruski's time is mis-sorted, and I should really be sorting by division first, then time. I'll fix that all up with the next update. In the meantime...

CMDR Cheetah has been busy, with 3x the number of entries from any other CMDR! While his 1st-place position for Route Six-66 has been decimated by CMDR Birdnose (good job!), the fastest cat put up a #1 time in the Large Ships division of California Dreamin' in addition to a mid-pack time in the Small Ships division.

CMDRS Bruski and Samwell Drakhyr retain their #1 positions respectively in the Small and Medium divisions for California Dreamin'.

And congrats to first-time Buckyball Racer, CMDR Codger! I promise, not all of our races take this much time. :)

edit: updated visual appearance of the board

Last edited:
I reposted this over in the main Buckyball event thread, but it never hurts to spam good info. CMDR furrycat made this very quick video a while back on how to race:

[video=youtube;6Pk5rjMu11Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pk5rjMu11Q[/video]

Um, spacebear...I'm looking at the times you submitted and I somehow doubt you finished the race in 0 minutes, 0 seconds. ;) Good thing there are screenshots.

I should have a leaderboard up with our first submissions in the next handful of hours.

Hey it's Bruski, he probably found a way to do it in that time!

There were no shenanigans! Honest!

I just reset my race clock before taking the post-race screenshot. :p

I also apologize for a lack of witty; it's late and I got to chase my 4-year around the lake today -- about 3 miles. She was on her training wheels while I was on foot, and I'm not in the best shape these days (but I'm working on it!)

Congrats on toddler chasing! I hear they only get faster. :p

If I could make a recommendation on the loadout...definitely leave the srv behind. I'd also remove the shields, utility slots, and the scanners; it's all dead weight if you want to am for the top of the leaderboard. :)

If you really want the shields for docking and bouncing off of tourist beacons, consider turning them off while travelling to assist with heat management.
I recommend taking shields, especially for new racers. Lithobraking will probably end up being important in this race, as stopping for the tourist beacons is very time-consuming otherwise. I did have a slight heart attack when ramming one took the DiamondBear from 100-13% hull in one hit however. [where is it]

Always more TROGDOR!

Looks right to me, but I always use numbered bookmarks and then promptly forget the order. :)
Same here. This is going to make the different hauler course difficult. [noob]

Now I want to go back and see the scenery better, though! There were some really nice places in this race.

https://youtu.be/fQq77Ytr6wY

Congrats and welcome to the club!!!

The video looks so calm and gorgeous. :D

https://youtu.be/fQq77Ytr6wY

Tee hee, sorry but that's some of the most leisurely Buckyballing I've ever seen, I fear you might not be following the basic guidelines layed out in furrycat's "How to race" video! :p

Welcome BACK (see Tunnel Vision) to Buckyball Codger, love your style! :D

Tee hee, sorry but that's some of the most leisurely Buckyballing I've ever seen, I fear you might not be following the basic guidelines layed out in furrycat's "How to race" video! :p

Well, yes, but it was a lot faster than I usually go! Didja see the "Speeding" indicator on my HUD?! That's because I was RACING!

I admit that I had a hard time not stopping to sight see.

I had a great time though. :)

Ah, whoops! I missed that one.

Well, yes, but it was a lot faster than I usually go! Didja see the "Speeding" indicator on my HUD?! That's because I was RACING!

I admit that I had a hard time not stopping to sight see.

I had a great time though. :)
You've got lots of opportunity to have more great times (and make a great time!) since we'll be going through the 18th. :)

I'm wondering if I should race my Python in the Medium/Unlimited class... I know the times won't be anywhere near stellar, but it'd be an interesting race :D

Thanks to some good advice from friends and to some fellow Buckyballers letting me vent a bit (and so realize what was really giving me so much trouble dealing with it), I should be back in the game in a day or two.

If you bust out the Python, I'll show up and make at least one run in Excalibur in the name of non-Asp Medium ship solidarity or something.

Thanks to some good advice from friends and to some fellow Buckyballers letting me vent a bit (and so realize what was really giving me so much trouble dealing with it), I should be back in the game in a day or two.

If you bust out the Python, I'll show up and make at least one run in Excalibur in the name of non-Asp Medium ship solidarity or something.
That's the spirit! o7
I'll join in with my Python then. It will be a few days probably before I'm back and I'll just be racing the Beyond Twilight's Veil in her standard loadout rather than stripped down but I often just like to bring what I'm flying and see how much I can push the performance of a working vessel.

That's the spirit! o7
I'll join in with my Python then. It will be a few days probably before I'm back and I'll just be racing the Beyond Twilight's Veil in her standard loadout rather than stripped down but I often just like to bring what I'm flying and see how much I can push the performance of a working vessel.

Heheh. There is a part of me that is tempted to run Excalibur in her standard trim rather than her A* Challenge trim. That said, I think her 19.9 ly jump range might set a new BRC record for "worst jump range in Unlimited". Also, I've gotten kind of attached to the 5A scoop for racing purposes.

What I might do is take a bigger power plant, her usual distributor and thrusters, and slap in a 4D shield generator. Seems like a fun compromise. I get boost capacity back that way and can probably still jump in the mid-20's. Which is still hilariously bad for Unlimited, but she's an FdL, you can only do so much :p

Also, I’m interested in seeing how fast she can go with her engineered thrusters but without the weapons, utility mounts, and HRP's weighing her down.

Once I build myself a nice pile of credits (I have decided I want to sock a few hundred million away... my recent experience has convinced me that even with no "big ship" ambitions, having a lot of money means I never have to think about money) I am thinking of building a dedicated racing FdL. While storing modules is nice, massive module swaps remain really cumbersome.

Last edited:

That's the spirit! o7

With these kind of replies, how could I say no? :D

Ok so I've just completed stripping Wayfarer (my Python) down, swapped out the Powerplant from a class 7 to a class 4 (barely enough to keep shields on), but man do I save weight! I didn't notice how many LY extra in jump range I got though, but the final result after removing SRV hangars and all that, my Python has a decent 35 LY range.

Oh yes, I decided to take a 5A scoop instead of a 6A one... the difference of 20 mill in pricetag wasn't worth the paltry 300 (don't know what units... kg/sec?) of extra fuel I could scoop per second, IMHO.

Last edited:

I'm very happy to be supporting non-Asp medium ship solidarity, given that the only medium ship on the board so far is my T6 :D

What may be more lacking is any entries in the "non-DBX, non-Hauler Small ship" category :)

I'm very happy to be supporting non-Asp medium ship solidarity, given that the only medium ship on the board so far is my T6 :D

What may be more lacking is any entries in the "non-DBX, non-Hauler Small ship" category :)
My test runs were done in a Dolphin, fwiw. :)

I'm just assuming we will see some Asps sooner or later, since it's the obvious choice for this kind of race. Though it would be hilarious and kind of awesome if nobody ran one, I know there are a few Buckyballers who are rather fond of it. Far be it from me to tell anyone else what to fly!

That's a good point about the small ships, though... and I haven't raced Joyeuse in a long time.

Ah, heck with it. I've only lost some 50 million credits this week, what's a few million more?

Last edited:

I am possibly going to do a Sidewinder run probably this weekend along with a Corvette and something for the medium category not sure what yet considering buying a dropship

Last edited:
Top Bottom