Community Event / Creation The BRC presents a Race for Long Range Ships: Nebulocity (3-11 June 3303)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Congrats! :D

And to cookiehole and all the other racers as well. This was an exciting (if long) race, and a beautiful course!

More details about the next BRC race, Action Jackson, should be up in the next couple of days. :D

9mA86yd.png

Last edited:
Congrats! :D

And to cookiehole and all the other racers as well. This was an exciting (if long) race, and a beautiful course!

More details about the next BRC race, Action Jackson, should be up in the next couple of days. :D

http://i.imgur.com/9mA86yd.png

Thanks! We've had some good fights lately. Luckily, this time Cookie didn't beat us in all divisions (I refuse to notice that he only took part in one).

Congratulations to you, Cookie and all the other racers!

I see a lot of impressive achevements on the scoreboard, especially considering the interesting choice of ships. Aweman's debut looks promising too.

The Orca really surprised me. The reduced mass has made it a very useful ship indeed. The improvement in range is extraordinary and the supercruise agility is superior compared with the other large ships I've tried.

A very pretty course, Jhyrryl! Made a slow run today just to see the sights properly. Many thanks! o7

Somehow I get the strange impression that Polly is pleased with having won in two classes :D
It is very probable [smile]

Last edited:
I see a lot of impressive achevements on the scoreboard, especially considering the interesting choice of ships.

Yep, forgot to mention that! It's really nice seeing a few 'rare' ships on the board such as the Keelback, FDL or FDS! :D

Also my video is up now, there are a few timestamps in the description of where I managed some relatively good approaches.
[video=youtube_share;7oUiq5jaerg]https://youtu.be/7oUiq5jaerg[/video]

Thanks to this very pretty looking racing course I've visited my first asteroid bases and planet surface alien objects (at least, I don't think those bark mounds are anything but alien), and also remembered that there's beauty to be found in this galaxy. Now that the race is over, I took the occasion to bring my newly bought Dolphin in its maiden voyage, carrying a high-profile passenger to enjoy "The View" in HR 6164, a beacon on the surface of a ringed 3+ g planet overlooking a binary couple of a neutron star and a black hole, together with a huge blue giant and another black hole, a mere 1.700 ly from Fullerene C60:
9GbfqUr.jpg

That has to be the fastest spinning star I've met to date, so fast the jets are actually flickering more than spinning, and with a view also enjoyable from a tourist installation in very close orbit: I think this won't be the last passenger mission I'll take.

Yep, forgot to mention that! It's really nice seeing a few 'rare' ships on the board such as the Keelback, FDL or FDS! :D

Also my video is up now, there are a few timestamps in the description of where I managed some relatively good approaches.

Thanks for posting the entire run. I found it very interesting to see how you do things.

Stuff I learned:

1) Fly like your bum is on fire, all the time
2) Scoop like your bum is not on fire, but you want it to be
3) Don't land, crash headlong into the pad and hope it sticks
4) Beacons are great for stopping fast - they don't even explode when you hit them
5) Crashing into the ground and losing your shields is another way to stop quickly
6) 7 seconds? Pfft! Old school doesn't work here. Get that planet to drag you down to speed.
7) If you approach a planet upside down (canopy toward the planet), you will be able to watch yourself crash better, and maybe also get to the surface faster.
8) Belugas are everywhere and always in the way.
9) Cookiehole is a monster pilot.

Some of this I can possibly master, in time. :p

And here's a short video of some of the sights I saw while doing this race (well, technically, sights I saw later when I went back through the course to look!). What a beautiful course, and this game rocks!
[video=youtube_share;_-FD711mf-w]https://youtu.be/_-FD711mf-w[/video]

I believe this will be the final leader board update, although I'd still like to put together a podium collage of the 1st-place finishers and their ships. I believe I have all the necessary imagery, I just need to find the time before the family leaves on vacation Wednesday. :)

There was a ton of action in this final update!

CMDR Polly updated her time in the Route Six-66 event to ensure a 1st-place finish there.

Likewise, CMDR Cheetah submitted an improved Hauler time, but it wasn't quite enough to move in front of CMDR Birdnose.

CMDR Terrorsidic cruised by in all three divisions of California Dreamin', making his best attempt in the Large ships division for a mid-pack showing.

And finally, CMDR Cookiehole was not content to lead the Orca pod from a 2nd-place position, so submitted an updated time to take 1st-place in the Large ships division of California Dreamin'.

Congrats to everyone, but of course especially the winners! It was a fun race to host and it seems like it was fun to run as well. Thanks for all your participation. :)

Well, I can't rep you yet, but thank you for taking the time to run this one; I hadn't gotten to see the asteroid bases yet, so having a reason to get out and do that was pretty darn cool. Also, the views were pretty spectacular, even if I only really got to appreciate them when I did an exploration pass over the route (it's kinda hard to look at the scenery while racing, but odds are I'd have never thought to come to these places if I hadn't raced through them first).

iTunes plays of the race:
1). One run while jumping into Pleione, iTunes decided to give me "Exterminate" by Nana Mizuki (opening theme of Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX). Given iTunes' history of remarkably appropriate music selections, I was expecting Thargoids at that point! Thankfully, none were found.

2). On my one and only good run in Joyeuse, as I departed the last checkpoint on the way to the finish, iTunes decides to bust out with this:
[video=youtube;OoEdmqslYUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoEdmqslYUk[/video]
Yes, for those of you sufficiently old-school to recognize it, that is a guitar cover of "Final Take Off" from After Burner II. Given that's the music that plays starting with the last carrier launch in that game, having it come up as I was turning around on the docking pad was pretty much perfect. And that was when I knew I was finally going to have a decent run.

Congrats to all who participated, with a special tip of the cap to the winners, and fly fast, Commanders.

Expect to see more FdL racing in the future. I really enjoyed running it. I need to build my rebuy fund a little higher before the next time, though - this was a "relatively" safe race; I only crashed two ships (both Couriers). Racing the FdL in a more dangerous one could get expensive ;)

And here's a short video of some of the sights I saw while doing this race (well, technically, sights I saw later when I went back through the course to look!). What a beautiful course, and this game rocks!
https://youtu.be/_-FD711mf-w

Out of rep but very nice!

Just watched it all the way through ... reassured to see that you and I have pretty similar approaches to supercruise flight paths and use of headlook (do you have a tracker or do it manually), the main difference being that you place a lot more faith in planetary braking than I, especially in those asteroid belt station approaches. Duly noted for next time. One question, on a few occasions you open system view for reasons I couldn't quite tell ... were you double checking whether it was a free floating station that required a target de-select?

Out of rep but very nice!

Just watched it all the way through ... reassured to see that you and I have pretty similar approaches to supercruise flight paths and use of headlook (do you have a tracker or do it manually), the main difference being that you place a lot more faith in planetary braking than I, especially in those asteroid belt station approaches. Duly noted for next time. One question, on a few occasions you open system view for reasons I couldn't quite tell ... were you double checking whether it was a free floating station that required a target de-select?

I had a nasty surprise at one of thoose stations early in the race. Saw it floating out there all by itself and thought it would be perfect for a de-select-stop similar to the little blue approach. So, I came in hard, slightly curved, 1 s on the clock and de-selected. It didn't behave like I thought it would. It felt like I overshot it with half a galaxy. Not just a loop of shame but rather a epic journey of humiliation.

Thanks to Jhyrryl for taking us on the scenic tour. Beautiful nebulae and interesting docking and undocking at the asteroid stations.
Lots of traffic, especially at Sisters Refuge. My apologies to the CMDR in a Clipper exiting the station at the time :eek:

Sadly, I was not able to run as often as I wanted. Work has been crazy lately. Important project delayed => all hands on deck and mandatory overtime. The sunny weather last weekend did the rest to consume my game-time.

Congratulations to the winners and well done to all the newcomers.

I had a nasty surprise at one of thoose stations early in the race. Saw it floating out there all by itself and thought it would be perfect for a de-select-stop similar to the little blue approach. So, I came in hard, slightly curved, 1 s on the clock and de-selected. It didn't behave like I thought it would. It felt like I overshot it with half a galaxy. Not just a loop of shame but rather a epic journey of humiliation.

That would be Stargazer. Deselect doesn't work there, because it's in an asteroid cluster and apparently those have enough mass that it applies the same FSD behavior as a small planet does.

[...]use of headlook (do you have a tracker or do it manually)[...]

I have a mode switch and then use the coolie hat on my HOTAS. Not ideal, but better than taking the hand off the stick and using the mouse :p
[...] the main difference being that you place a lot more faith in planetary braking than I, especially in those asteroid belt station approaches. Duly noted for next time. [...]
Yep, I've only relatively recently gotten a true feeling of how strong planetary braking can be, especially with gas giants. With these, you can pretty much floor it until 0:03 or so and as long as you don't have to make any meaningful course adjustments at 0:02 or below it *should* be ok. Of course it's very difficult to find the perfect moment to throttle back up again. It's really a fraction of a second between overshooting the ring/asteroid and getting caught deeply inside the gravity well.
[...]One question, on a few occasions you open system view for reasons I couldn't quite tell ... were you double checking whether it was a free floating station that required a target de-select?
Yes. Especially on the earlier runs I try to get a glimpse of the system view if I'm unfamiliar with it (and on a long course like this I can't really remember all of the stations, so the same applies). I'm looking for asteroid belts that could be in the way and try to get a look at the planet for gravity braking planning (is it a binary, how big/heavy is it, etc.). I find it useful to know/remember that sort of information, although it can of course be a distraction and there isn't enough time on anything less than 500 to 1000 ls.

Last edited:
I made participants submit screenshots of ships and holome avatars so that they could be used in a podium collage of the 1st place winners. Someone made sure that life didn't make me forget. So, without further ado, in 1920x1080 format for your desktop, the 1st place winners!

6LsZyhX.png

Top Bottom