Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents - 4001: A Space Odyssey - Altais 2nd - 10th July 3302

So what is head tracking?

Is it, you look a bit to the left and the view pans left, etc?

I did think that VR would would be a big advantage in this race so you could orbit while looking for landing sites.

Yeah, basically the way headtracking works is exactly that ... your view out of the cockpit follows your head movements. You can set it up so you can easily look 180° left, right, up or down without actually having to physically turn your head nearly that far. It sounds weird if you think about it because, even tho' you're turning your head, your monitor is obviously still right in front of you, so you're turning your head while keeping your eyes on the screen (try it now while reading this, turn your head to the right and left while keeping your eyes focused on THIS). Somehow the brain just copes with it and it feels completely natural (i.e. you don't really have to train yourself to do it, it just works from the minute you get it installed). You can follow enemy ships as they fly past you in combat, you can look for landing sites as you fly past them). Better still, since the "target ahead" function actually targets what you're looking at rather than what's directly in front of your ship, you can use head tracking when out exploring (or when flying past a USS for example) to target things that are off to one side (or above or below).

Edit: a nice example of where you use it without thinking is at 2m30s in my video where I do a loop to head in the opposite direction down the ice canyon. I just naturally look up to see my destination before my slowly turning ship has finished looping.

Last edited:
I believe the MPU-9250 is the newer hardware with a magnetometer to compensate for drift. That would be the one you want.

<3 furrycat. I have abandoned my earlier procrastination (for months) and have purchased one tonight, should have it in a week. Woohoo! :D I can be a kewl racer too!

Alec Turner said:
I can thoroughly recommend head tracking, it's hard to overstate how much it adds to the game and I don't think I could play ED without it now. I'm actually using TrackIR but I will admit that, although brilliant, it is overpriced and from all I've heard EDTracker works just as well and is a LOT cheaper. I'm glad my somewhat jerky 4x speed video hasn't put you off, head tracking is much smoother at normal speed

Hopefully it does work just as well, I tried TrackNoir, but it didn't like my bearded bespectacled face. :(

Sped up video was a good idea though, I might start posting mine that way.

Top Bottom