Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club Presents: A Halpy Hand (11th Jan - 19th Jan, 3306)

Increasing your FSDs jump range temporarily by dipping into the cones of a white dwarf or neutron star. Don't worry about it, there's no neutron stars in the bubble and white dwarves are not considered worth the risk (they only give you 50% more range, usually have shorter cones and have a much larger exclusion zones). I briefly tried using white dwarves last race and it didn't help my time at all.
^^ this.

Nsfw language: neutron stars vs white dwarves

Increasing your FSDs jump range temporarily by dipping into the cones of a white dwarf or neutron star. Don't worry about it, there's no neutron stars in the bubble and white dwarves are not considered worth the risk (they only give you 50% more range, usually have shorter cones and have a much larger exclusion zones). I briefly tried using white dwarves last race and it didn't help my time at all.
Oh, I've never heard it called that. But I've done it plenty of times. I even have a long-range ship designed to take advantage.

Thanks for the info!

Ok at a loose end so tested a couple of ships that can handle some cargo and the ranges.

The Phantom did it in 16 jumps
DBX managed 14 jumps.

So far DBX is holding at 68ly with 6t cargo space and a repair limpet. Downside only 506 boost.
Phantom 60ly 8t cargo plus repair limpet and 600 boost. So will 2 jumps cost less than sc speeds?

Choices choices choices.

I briefly tried using white dwarves last race and it didn't help my time at all.
That depends on the ship/jump range. My courier was doing a ~15ly jump on two of the multi-hops so:
Risk:- faceplanting a White Dwarf. Messy
Reward:- a few bum clenching seconds of excitement and at least 30secs saved
The WDs were in just the right place, not always the case.

I'd like to take part but away while it's on. (on hols so not all bad ;) )

Have a good race everyone (y)

And nice one for organising Dr Nagi

May need an actual example, I'm confused :p
In a fast ship with 3 checkpoints given I hit top speed (and what/where exactly is considered a checkpoint?) I'd get 44 minutes off my time with code green? I don't think I've understood it correctly.

May need an actual example, I'm confused :p
In a fast ship with 3 checkpoints given I hit top speed (and what/where exactly is considered a checkpoint?) I'd get 44 minutes off my time with code green? I don't think I've understood it correctly.
The checkpoints are:
1st passing mailslot at the station you have chosen to buy fish at. If it is a station that doesn't have a mailslot, I'm open for suggestions on how to evaluate that because I have no idea rn as it just came to my mind.
2nd Flying past the canister of fish you dropped in the rings
3rd Inside the tunnel
4th Passing through the mailslot of Fisher Enterprise
5th Passing through the mailslot of Arfstrom Station.

Soo, assuming you're passing each one of them with a speed of 900 m/s, that would be a whole -75 minutes in case of a code green bonus.

Ok full on test run completed and..well ok I guess I have set a baseline for myself anyway.

Looking at the bonus I only have 2 ships remotely capable of high bonus scores so they are on the way..Courier and Viper mkIII. Both are 900 m/s or above without cargo.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Does the screenshot of the second checkpoint have to be within a certain distance of the canister? It changes my plan for dropping the fish that's for sure.

So am I correct that there will be three scoreboards?

Classic
Unlimited
Bonus

Will there also be a separate classic bonus scoreboard or not? (I'm not encouraging this, just curious)

So am I correct that there will be three scoreboards?

Classic
Unlimited
Bonus

Will there also be a separate classic bonus scoreboard or not? (I'm not encouraging this, just curious)
Possibly a 4th one, since Code Black bonus would be impossible to do in the regulation class, since no synthing is allowed there.
Also: As I've been talking with racers on discord, I've added a short Q & A section and 2 more paragraphs to the proof section.

Ok full on test run completed and..well ok I guess I have set a baseline for myself anyway.

Looking at the bonus I only have 2 ships remotely capable of high bonus scores so they are on the way..Courier and Viper mkIII. Both are 900 m/s or above without cargo.

At which jump range? I haven't checked the distances personally (currently rebuilding my gaming rig - and even if I complete this in time, which is unlikely at least, my CMDRs are nowhere near the bubble), but from what I've read, a healthy jump range may also be necessary, which is not exactly what the iCourier or the Viper excel in - at least not if you want to keep the speed high.
I threw together a theoretical Hauler, though. Fully engineered, 699 m/s boost would be possible (and independent of the cargo), but with the required load, the jump range would be a measly 45 ly. On the other hand, a Phantom would be limited to 590 m/s, but could jump 67 ly.... so, ~600 seconds of bonus, i.e. ~12 jumps, vs. 20 ly more range. Intersting concept. I'll be watching.

Top Bottom