Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: BURNOUT! (13th-15th Sept.)

While there are many stations throughout The Bubble with "fast" in their name, Fast Ring in the Manktas system is the only large starport among them. As such, they earned the right to host the fastest race ever organized by the Buckyball Racing Club.

tEw3TKM.png

IlqyLKA.png

HOW TO FLY THIS RACE
In brief...

1. Launch from Fast Ring in Manktas
  2. Jump anywhere
  3. Jump back to Manktas
  4. Dock at Fast Ring
The fully detailed list of requirements...
  1. Scout your destination
    1. Scan the system or buy its UC data
  2. Refuel tanks to Full
  3. Take a screenhot of the Esc menu, showing that you are in Open
    1. You must fly in Open for this race.
  4. Enter Outfitting and take required screenshots
    1. See How to Enter for details
  5. Select destination in GalMap and take screenshot
    1. Screenshot must show distance to destination
  6. Return to Launch Position
  7. Take required screenshot on The Pad
    2. This documents your start time.
  8. Launch
  9. Jump anywhere
  10. Take HUD screenshot that shows time and location
  11. Jump back
  12. Dock
  13. Take required screenshot on The Pad
    2. This documents your end time.
  14. Open station services and take a screenshot
    1. Screenshot must show fuel levels.
SCORING
BURNOUT! requires you to burn as much fuel as possible, while still achieving the best possible time. This means that your remaining fuel tank and resevoir percentages will be converted to a decimal modifier and added to your time. So for example, if your finished fuel tank percentage is 21%, and your resevoir is 89%, then your time will be increased by 0.2189 seconds.

In the case of a tie, the ship that travels farther will be the winner. If both travel the same distance, burn the same amount of fuel, and do so in the same time, then good job pilots! That's going to stay a tie.

CLASSES
BURNOUT! can be run in a variety of classes.
Stock

• Any ship.
  • No enhanced thrusters.
  • No engineering modifications.
  • No fuel injection.
Pro

• Any ship.
  • Enhanced thrusters ALLOWED.
  • Engineering modifications ALLOWED.
  • No fuel injection.
Top Fuel

• Any ship.
  • Enhanced thrusters ALLOWED.
  • Engineering modifications ALLOWED.
  • Fuel injection is REQUIRED.
    • Your first jump must be injected.
Funny Car Challenge

• Ship must be purchased and outfitted at Fast Ring in Manktas.
    • No taking it elsewhere prior to racing.
  • One winner per ship type (8 available).
  • A pilot can win with only one Funny Car ship type.
    • Racing multiple ship types increases your chance of winning this class.
  • No fuel injection.
SUBMISSIONS
Submissions will be accepted from 00:00:00 (in-game time) on Tuesday 13th September 3302 until 23:59:59 on Thursday 15th September 3302. You can make as many attempts as you like during this time and are encouraged to participate in multiple classes, especially the Funny Car Challenge!

Please upload your screenshots to imgur.com or another hosting service, then send me a private message with the following info:

• CMDR Name;
  • Forum alias;
  • Race class for this submission;
  • Your ship's type;
  • Your ship's name;
  • Your elapsed time, modified for tank and reservoir percentage remaining;
  • The distance you travelled;

Alternately, you can submit this info via email to jhyrryl@buckyballracing.org.uk.

F.A.Q.
Q: If fuel injection is required for the first jump in Top Fuel, doesn't that also make it a requirement for the return jump?
A: No, but it is recommended.

Q: Do I have to use the biggest injection for Top Fuel?
A: No, any size injection works, but remember that the tie-breaker mechanic is distance travelled.

Q: What happens if I have the best time for multiple Funny Car ship types?
A: I will pick one entry to be your winner, and then ignore the other entries.

Last edited:
So confused... I feel this must be simpler than I'm making it.

Questions:

• Does this have to be in Open?
  • Do you have to start at Fast Ring?
  • Do you have to end at Fast Ring?
  • Since game time can't be measured in sub-second intervals, is it correct that the fuel mechanic only comes into play if there is an exact tie in the times?
  • Does the distance travelled mechanic only come into play if both the times AND fuel used are tied?
  • How is the fuel used measured? I have never seen my fuel as a percentage that I know of.

Some good questions...I've added appropriate clarifications for most in the OP but will respond to bullet points here.

So confused... I feel this must be simpler than I'm making it.

Questions:

• Does this have to be in Open?
Yes.
  • Do you have to start at Fast Ring?
Yes.
  • Do you have to end at Fast Ring?
Yes.
  • Since game time can't be measured in sub-second intervals, is it correct that the fuel mechanic only comes into play if there is an exact tie in the times?
Yes.
  • Does the distance travelled mechanic only come into play if both the times AND fuel used are tied?
Yes.
  • How is the fuel used measured? I have never seen my fuel as a percentage that I know of.
It's displayed on the station services menu.

Seems to me that you weren't actually confused and had it all right. You probably just refuel so automatically that you didn't realize that the stations provide that info. :)

Seems to me that you weren't actually confused and had it all right. You probably just refuel so automatically that you didn't realize that the stations provide that info. :)

That's crazy, I don't know how I've never seen that before. Guess I'm selectively blind.

Been a while (Computer bust at the mo, have to use college facilities, congrats to those won total recall and any other events I missed out on - don't have time at college to search the forums.). hopefully I can post my results without too much of an issue.
Intent to race
CMDR Mutesquash67283
Ship name: Fusion Lick (Asp Scout.)
class: Stock

Last edited:
Tried to race yesterday but gave up since I stuck in hyper 50% of the time (and got horribly delayed in the rest of the jumps). I'll focus on the funny car class, probably sidewinder. Or adder.

@Bruski: Nice fuel planning with the viper.

Top Bottom