Community Event / Creation The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Hot Off The Press (17th to 25th August 3305)

Good morning! Beth Johanson here, roving reporter for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventure News. And now, yesterday's highlights.

First up:

PIRATE ATTACK IN LHS 3117

In an event that pretty much happens every single day wherever someone's trying to do a bit of mining, which makes me wonder exactly how many pirates are out there, pirates raid a resource site in the B-Ring system of LHS 3117 Two. Here is video of the brutal destruction (at 0:20) of pirate Alan Turing at the hands of the Federation's security forces, after they chased him away from miner Liam Spiteri, who nonchalantly returned to mining (1:18), obviously enured to such destruction. Also, a huge shoutout to Buckyballer punkydrummer01.

Next up:

YOU ARE ALL CRAZY IF YOU THINK THIS IS FUN

At least, that is what I thought as I stared down the yawning abyss. Turns out that hurtling your SRV into deep chasms can be quite the thrill.

Anyways, my SRV managed to survive the plummet, which allowed to take a picture of one of the numerous fumeroles below.

I may have also lingered quite a while to gather up all the minerals I could find. I need the mats, dang it! Ms. Castro wouldn't give me much time to get some for my own use!

Next up:

STATION REBUILDS AFTER THARGOID ATTACK

Moskowitz Gateway suffered a brutal attack by the Thargoids recently, and is still currently under repair. While many of its systems are still offline, this reporter can assure you that its security services are NOT. As can be seen in the shot below, environmental systems were given a lower priority, so there is still quite a bit of smoke inside the docking cylinder. My apologies about the whole "forgot to request permission to dock" thing. No hard feelings, right?

Finally:

PROTESTER STILL PROTESTS OVER INRA ATTROCITIES

At Hollis Gateway in the Hermitage system, a single protester, sign in hand, maintains their lonely vigil, to ensure that the atrocities committed by INRA are never forgotten. When asked for a statement, Daydream Crystal Peacequest had this to say:

"It is imperative that Humanity should never forget what happened in this base. Do you have any idea how many safety violations this has? 47, that's how many! It doesn't matter if this was a secret base, worker safety should always come first!"

When this reporter asked him about the Thargoids, he replied, "They started this war hundreds of years ago, and Humanity has every right to use whatever means they have at their disposal to wipe out those [censored]. Humanity First!!!"

Mental note: turn off night vision before taking a screen shot...

Anyway, that was the highlights. And now, current tally:

Group 1Group 2Group 3Group 4Group 5Group 6
Federal or Imperial ShipSRV 250m in the air✅Something ThargoidSomething GuardianA Shipwreck (human)An outpost ship showroom
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA brain Tree Space Pumpkin or Bark MoundAn Asteroid ExplosionA Black HoleStellar PhenomenonAn INRA logo✅
Bravo - an epic tour!

Meanwhile - a couple of clarifications have been added to the OP.

"Flying through a Buckyball holo-ad" - this means a shot taken just before (so it's still possible to make out which advert it is) ...

Q) Is using a second account an acceptable loophole?
A) Not really, no. I feel this falls into the much derided area of "pay to win" so, although it might be difficult for me to prove you've done it - I would urge you not to.

*Umbrarex looks up from his datapad

"Dave, why you got that empire news thing on?"

"She's cute 'Rex"

"I'll grant you that. After that first 'news brief' though I'd have thought, what was the channel, SWAN? would have found someone more suited to the job. She didn't do to bad this time out though."

"You not going out this time 'Rex? Usually you are all over those Buckyball races"

*holds up the datapad
"This one is taking a lot more planning, and coordination, than usual. Hopefully when I'm done I won't own the bottom of the leaderboard."

*Dave chuckles softly
"Watching those run reviews of your Seven Sisters attempts was painful"

"If watching it was bad just imagine what it was like in the cockpit."

"Nope. can't do it. That's why you fly and I serve drinks 'Rex"

"I couldn't do what you do Dave, Being here, keeping this place intact with the rambunctious crew that calls this place home. Nope, couldn't do it."

"To each their own 'Rex."

"So true Dave. I'm out, gonna go scout my route again, make sure everything is in place."

"What is it buckyballers say 'Rex? Oh, 'Fly Fast' right?"

*chuckles softly
"You got it Dave."

Edit to add: Not up to Darkfyre's standards...

Last edited:
What to do, what to do...

I can't shave off any more time from my route, yesterday's runs were as good as it gets for me.
But: I noticed that my timezone apparently at least overlaps with Numerlor's - I've seen him a couple of times yesterday (o7, CMDR). I'm tempted to put a wake scanner on my backup ship and wrestle the secret of his route from him.
Or I could work on an ABACAB route.
Or I could look for a Buckyball ad (and think about that Asteroid explosion).

I hate this race. It's fanatastic.

ay's runs were as good as it gets for me.
But: I noticed that my timezone apparently at least overlaps with Numerlor's - I've seen him a couple of times yesterday (o7, CMDR). I'm tempted to put a wake scanner on my backup ship and wrestle the secret of his route from him.
I think this would be epic! :ROFLMAO:
Or I could work on an ABACAB route.
It's now been done sadly. If you're looking for something nobody has yet done you could go for the path least travelled (which would be - consults pie charts - huh! well that was unintentional - CCCCCC).
I hate this race. It's fanatastic.
:LOL:

Good morning! Beth Johanson here, roving reporter for Stevenson Whirlwind Adventure News. And now, yesterday's highlights.

First up:

PIRATE ATTACK IN LHS 3117

In an event that pretty much happens every single day wherever someone's trying to do a bit of mining, which makes me wonder exactly how many pirates are out there, pirates raid a resource site in the B-Ring system of LHS 3117 Two. Here is video of the brutal destruction (at 0:20) of pirate Alan Turing at the hands of the Federation's security forces, after they chased him away from miner Liam Spiteri, who nonchalantly returned to mining (1:18), obviously enured to such destruction. Also, a huge shoutout to Buckyballer @punkydrummer01.

Next up:

YOU ARE ALL CRAZY IF YOU THINK THIS IS FUN

At least, that is what I thought as I stared down the yawning abyss. Turns out that hurtling your SRV into deep chasms can be quite the thrill.

Anyways, my SRV managed to survive the plummet, which allowed to take a picture of one of the numerous fumeroles below.

I may have also lingered quite a while to gather up all the minerals I could find. I need the mats, dang it! Ms. Castro wouldn't give me much time to get some for my own use!

Next up:

STATION REBUILDS AFTER THARGOID ATTACK

Moskowitz Gateway suffered a brutal attack by the Thargoids recently, and is still currently under repair. While many of its systems are still offline, this reporter can assure you that its security services are NOT. As can be seen in the shot below, environmental systems were given a lower priority, so there is still quite a bit of smoke inside the docking cylinder. My apologies about the whole "forgot to request permission to dock" thing. No hard feelings, right?

Finally:

PROTESTER STILL PROTESTS OVER INRA ATTROCITIES

At Hollis Gateway in the Hermitage system, a single protester, sign in hand, maintains their lonely vigil, to ensure that the atrocities committed by INRA are never forgotten. When asked for a statement, Daydream Crystal Peacequest had this to say:

"It is imperative that Humanity should never forget what happened in this base. Do you have any idea how many safety violations this has? 47, that's how many! It doesn't matter if this was a secret base, worker safety should always come first!"

When this reporter asked him about the Thargoids, he replied, "They started this war hundreds of years ago, and Humanity has every right to use whatever means they have at their disposal to wipe out those [censored]. Humanity First!!!"

Mental note: turn off night vision before taking a screen shot...

Anyway, that was the highlights. And now, the current tally:

Group 1Group 2Group 3Group 4Group 5Group 6
Federal or Imperial ShipSRV 250m in the air✅Something ThargoidSomething GuardianA Shipwreck (human)An outpost ship showroom
Another Ship using mining lasers ✅Inside a repairing station✅A Ship Exploding✅A Coriolis with "noob hammers"A Geyser or Fumerole✅An abandoned or wrecked SRV
Flying Through a Buckyball Holo AdA brain Tree Space Pumpkin or Bark MoundAn Asteroid ExplosionA Black HoleStellar PhenomenonAn INRA logo✅
No wonder I didn't see your response, you replied in local chat instead of system!

Anyone fancy some mid-race pie?

1ImiB0X.png

Day 5 scoreboard 2.

53bWZrF.png

Cmdr TwoSpoons77 has joined the 10 minute gang, knocking Bruski off the number #3 podium spot! His submission says simply "A sub 6 minutes is next ".

Looks like the race to win is now very much ON!

IMPORTANT: at this point I feel obliged to point out that a slight issue has cropped up re: that recent FAQ update concerning the use of Alt accounts. Basically I'm very keen that there should be no accusations of "pay to win" at the end of this race. Consequently, if anyone feels they've gained an advantage through the use of Alt's (either directly during their run or indirectly during run prep' such that they've then been able to run far more frequently and thereby significantly increase their odds of catching a "lucky" break) then could I ask you to submit a new entry, this time without the use of your Alt account and make it clear in the notes at the bottom that this run should replace your existing one. Fear not, there's no sense of shame in this - the fault is mine for not making this point clear earlier on and I apologise for any loss of time this may have caused you.

😟

Day 6 scoreboard 1

ELvOOD0.png

Just one new time on the board this morning from Cmdr punkydrummer01 who's swapped his Krait Mk II for a DBX called The Crazy Taxi. Sticking to the same selection of photos as before he's nevertheless managed to cut over four and a half minutes off his time (and, he'll be delighted to hear, a full minute off the time he was claiming for this run thanks to a timing miscalculation), taking 5th place from Orange Pheonix by a mere six seconds!

Meanwhile, over on the discord server, there's some serious head scratching going on about the optimum route, discussion which, in an unprecedented turn of events, may have broken Buckyball stalwart Cmdr Bruski! 😧 Also, another Buckyball regular (and new organiser of the A* Challenge) Cmdr Raiko has been scouting routes and will hopefully be making an appearance real soon now.

Last edited:
Also, another Buckyball regular (and new organiser of the A* Challenge) Cmdr Raiko has been scouting routes and will hopefully be making an appearance real soon now.
I'll certainly be logging a run soon. I can't play much during the week, so might be on Friday night.

I can't see myself challenging the top times though. I think I've been out-researched :unsure: :geek:

in an unprecedented turn of events, may have broken Buckyball stalwart Cmdr Bruski!
The Breaker of Races broken. o_O

Discord is so weird. I can never seem to get used to it, so I kinda avoid it. :)
You're not the first to say this but I must say I'm slightly baffled. Aside from it's rather quirky loading screen messages it's actually pretty straightforward. You subscribe to various servers (each one represented by a little icon on the left hand sidebar) and when you click on a server you see an assortment of channels as created by the owner of that server. A channel is either text or voice - clicking a text one shows a simple chat history which you can contribute to and clicking a voice one lets you listen to and/or speak on that channel. Some servers (e.g. Obsidian Ant's) have hundreds of channels which can make things confusing. Ours has #general plus 5 others that nobody ever uses.

You're not the first to say this but I must say I'm slightly baffled. Aside from it's rather quirky loading screen messages it's actually pretty straightforward. You subscribe to various servers (each one represented by a little icon on the left hand sidebar) and when you click on a server you see an assortment of channels as created by the owner of that server. A channel is either text or voice - clicking a text one shows a simple chat history which you can contribute to and clicking a voice one lets you listen to and/or speak on that channel. Some servers (e.g. Obsidian Ant's) have hundreds of channels which can make things confusing. Ours has #general plus 5 others that nobody ever uses.
Ok, if you say so. When I go there I get a load of confusing icons along the left edge, that seem to be various groups. I don't know most of them, and the icons aren't much help. Anyway, I don't want to discuss that here, sorry for the OT :) I just don't find Discord to be helpful, personally, I find it annoying.

It's IRC for young uns. Just has a different UI. Maybe try white mode? :D
IRC? Maybe that's my problem, never heard of it. Anyway, the last thing I need is yet another app running all the time, especially for real-time chat with people who won't be online when I am anyway. lol.

Top Bottom